Canucks GM rips superstar

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
It has been a challenging season for the Vancouver Canucks. Pre-season prognosticators had the club as a playoff calibre team, but through the first fifteen games, the club was last in the entire league.

Since then the club has picked it up. They have the best record in the Western Conference in the last ten games, including a five game winning streak. Leading the charge have been stars Markus Naslund, Tomas Kaberle, as well as role players Mike Sillinger, Jeff O'Neill and Dean McAmmond.

One player that has not been contributing to the team's success though is Eric Staal. The second year player who is one of the highest rated players in the league, scored only his fourth goal of the season last night.

"He's our franchise player," said General Manager Sean Keogh. "He's our best player, centers our first line, and he's been a complete dissapointment so far this season."

His first goal didn't come until the twelfth game of the season. He then scored in the thirteenth game, and then potted the eighth goal in an 8-5 win last week, before scoring the first goal in a 7-6 win last night.

"He hasn't even scored an important goal for us yet this season," snapped Keogh. "Where are the clutch goals? I'm close to telling the coach to play [fourth-line center Grant] Stevenson on the powerplay instead."

His four goals are tied for tenth on the team with Kaberle, and his 18 points are tied for fifth with Mike Ribeiro and again Kaberle. The frustration has begun to mount.

"I got off to a slow start, I know that," said a frustrated Staal. I expect a lot of myself, and nobody's more dissapointed in Eric Staal, than Eric Staal himself."

Trade Rumours Swirl

Rumours continue to fly that the club is on the verge of some big time trades. While the GM quickly dismissed the notion of Staal being on the block, he did point out that more offensive talent could be on the way.

"We'd like to improve our second line," said the GM. "A left wing would be nice. Sillinger and Ribeiro are playing well, but Bourque might not be ready for that role yet."

The blueline could also see a shake-up.

"Kaberle and Meszaros aren't going anywhere, but we're looking to improve." When asked if he was building for this year or next, Keogh responded that, "we're not acquiring guys who are going to walk, but we're not looking for kids either, we're looking to win."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad