Canucks future...

lubomirvaic77

Jul 13, 2006
vancouver
since nonis has taken over the nucks drafts have become some what more productive. grabing guys like ellis-plante and hansen in the later rounds where steals and for a change we seem to be drafting very well in the first round ( shnider, bourdon, kesler and hopefully grabner) so i am begaining to think our future may not be so bleak. granted we do have a lack of nhl ready prospects and outside of our recent draft not many future top 6 fowrwards i think we will be safer then people think.

Jannik Hansen= last season he played very well and showed a remarkable amount of grit for his first NA season and preformed well in the playoffs. he finnished 19th in overal WHl scoring going a point per game. i fell he could easaly be a 50-60 pt guy in the NHL

Alex Edler= racked up 53pts in 62 for the rockets this year and will probably fill the role of pp QB. defensive ability still a concern. has great size but needs to fill out a little bit more

Mason Raymond=Raymond’s game is driven by his skating. He accelerates like a sports car, skates like the wind and has excellent lateral movement, even at top speed. He possesses solid hockey sense, knowing when and when not to pass the pack. His teammates see him as an unselfish player. He has a good, but not great shot. Raymond is a hard worker who can hold his own defensively.
Like most young players, Raymond needs to develop more upper body strength, and he needs to work on bringing a consistent effort every night.
i fell he could probly put up 50+ points due to the fact the new nhl is driven by speed. another 2nd line type guy.

these three prospects, all of which are at least a year away from full time, show alot of promise and i think will give the nucks solid and cheap players in the future.
now with star prospects like Bourdon, Shneider and Grabner i think there will be more then a good enough base for nonis to build on for the future

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
Honestly I think the Nucks drafting has gone way up ever since Nonis has taken over. Nonis ever since he has taken command of the team told how important scouting, and drafting would be to the Canucks staff. We've drafted 3 blue chippers ever since he took controll in Cory Schneider(2004), Luc Bourdon(2005), and Michael Grabner(2006).

He also picked up some very good players in the second round who have shown alot of potential in:

Jannik Hansen
Raymond Mason
Alexander Edler
Sergei Shirokov
Daniel Rahimi
Alexander Vincent
Jullien Ellis Plante

The Canucks goaltending prospect pool has got to be one of the strongest in the league consisting of:
Cory Schneider
Alexander Vincent
Jullien Ellis Plante

All who own starting goaltending potential. All those goaltenders where drafted under Dave Nonis.

Our defense is starting to shake up as well and some guys in the prospect pool who have the potential to play in the top 4 are:
Luc Bourdon
Kirill Koltsov
Alexander Edler
Kevin Bieska
Daniel Rahimi

Everyone there except for Koltsov, and Bieska where drafted by Dave Nonis and his coaching staff. There is also Lukas Krajicek who is still young and owns alot of potential himself. Looking good in the future, as there is a good mix of two way defenseman, and defensive defenseman.

The forward group is looking slim though the only players who have the potential in the system to play in the top 6 consist of:
Michael Grabner
Jannik Hanson
Sergei Shirokov
Mason Raymond-Made for this NHL, was a steal IMO.
Jozej Balej-Biggest wild card here.
Jason King-Concussion problems right now, and didn't look like himself after the concussion.

The biggest need IMO for this organization now is to aquire a power forward in the organization, then we can try getting depth in our forward group.

NFITO

hockeyinsanity*****
Jun 19, 2002
www.hockeyinsanity.com
I'm curious about Raymond's development. He was an overager when we drafted him... he's 21 in a couple months now. Anyone know how his offseason training has been going?? the biggest knock on his was his size - 170lbs for a 6'0 guy... but he was supposedly working hard to gain strength since he was drafted...

anyone know how he's progressed in this?

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
I'm curious about Raymond's development. He was an overager when we drafted him... he's 21 in a couple months now. Anyone know how his offseason training has been going?? the biggest knock on his was his size - 170lbs for a 6'0 guy... but he was supposedly working hard to gain strength since he was drafted...

anyone know how he's progressed in this?

Not sure exact numbers but I've heard ever since the season went on he's been alot stronger on his skates. He's definetly one of the Canucks most intriguing prospects.

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
Definitely on the right track, but still among the weakest prospect groups in hockey. Especially at forward.

I agree. Canucks were lucky to get a high pick after the lockout (lottery) to grab Bourdon or else it would be even worse.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Teams' more recent drafts always 'look better' because none of the players have turned pro yet, and because people forget how promising past busts looked at the time. I can remember threads like this 2-3 years ago listing a completely different set of 'promising' Canuck prospects who are now almost all busts.

Once guys hit the AHL, 80% of them are suddenly exposed. As guys like Bernier and Guenette were last year, and countless other 'good prospects' in the past. I fully expect the same thing to happen to guys like Edler and Ellis-Plante this year.

Our last 3 #1 picks are good prospects (as they should be). After that, it's a wasteland with only Jannik Hansen showing more than a little promise. We're still a bottom 5-8 team in the league, system-wise.

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
I'm not buying that Vancouver's goaltending crop is particularly impressive. Ellis is a good junior goalie who I am fully expecting to struggle at the next level. His "great" reactions which appear to me to be more a result of poor positioning and highly uneconomical movement, will not cut it without a whole lot of technical improvements and increases in mental strength. Vincent is imo pretty much a complete wild card. Pretty good size, not very good movement, not bad techincally, but I'm not too sure about his athleticism. That pretty much leaves Schnieder. So we have one good goalie prospect, a guy who I think is likely a bust in Ellis, and a guy who I think is largely an unknown, as most goalies are at that age. I think there are plenty of organizations who can match that.

The forwards are most definitely really weak. Grabner is a first rounder, he has to be good, and beyond that it's pretty bleak. Hansen is the only guy who appears to be at all intriguing.

Defensively the Canucks got a gift with the 10th overall last year, and Bourdon does look like a nice pick, but beyond that, again, it's bleak. I think I'm almost ready to give up completely on Koltsov, and Bieksa I don't really consider a prospect, and Edler, while he showed some promise in the WHL last year, has a whole lot of improvements to make before he is even close to ready (although I do think his overall package is pretty good for a 3rd round pick).

The depth of quality prospects in the organization (or more accurately the non existance of any depth whatsoever) is pretty ugly. When you waste picks on guys who obviously never had any chance to play like Ty Morris, it's tough to build any kind of prospect pool. I'm not ready to finally judge the last couple of drafts yet, but 04 and 05 aren't looking terribly promising beyond Bourdon, Schnieder, and maybe Hansen and Edler. I think it's best to wait a few years before we commend Nonis or anyone else for any sort of improved drafting.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
I'm not buying that Vancouver's goaltending crop is particularly impressive. Ellis is a good junior goalie who I am fully expecting to struggle at the next level. His "great" reactions which appear to me to be more a result of poor positioning and highly uneconomical movement, will not cut it without a whole lot of technical improvements and increases in mental strength. Vincent is imo pretty much a complete wild card. Pretty good size, not very good movement, not bad techincally, but I'm not too sure about his athleticism. That pretty much leaves Schnieder. So we have one good goalie prospect, a guy who I think is likely a bust in Ellis, and a guy who I think is largely an unknown, as most goalies are at that age. I think there are plenty of organizations who can match that.

The forwards are most definitely really weak. Grabner is a first rounder, he has to be good, and beyond that it's pretty bleak. Hansen is the only guy who appears to be at all intriguing.

Defensively the Canucks got a gift with the 10th overall last year, and Bourdon does look like a nice pick, but beyond that, again, it's bleak. I think I'm almost ready to give up completely on Koltsov, and Bieksa I don't really consider a prospect, and Edler, while he showed some promise in the WHL last year, has a whole lot of improvements to make before he is even close to ready (although I do think his overall package is pretty good for a 3rd round pick).

The depth of quality prospects in the organization (or more accurately the non existance of any depth whatsoever) is pretty ugly. When you waste picks on guys who obviously never had any chance to play like Ty Morris, it's tough to build any kind of prospect pool. I'm not ready to finally judge the last couple of drafts yet, but 04 and 05 aren't looking terribly promising beyond Bourdon, Schnieder, and maybe Hansen and Edler. I think it's best to wait a few years before we commend Nonis or anyone else for any sort of improved drafting.

I would have to disagree about Ellis he stays in good position for the shots, and doesn't give much up for a rebound. I think he will be just fine, now Schnider I see being the one who has trouble at the next level, I think he is very overrated.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
I would have to disagree about Ellis he stays in good position for the shots, and doesn't give much up for a rebound. I think he will be just fine, now Schnider I see being the one who has trouble at the next level, I think he is very overrated.

Honestly I think Schneider deserves all the praise, IMO Ellis is the third best goalie prospect behind Vincent. I love Vincent(not in that way). He has size, and very good reflexes for someone his size. Starting goaltending potential IMO. He's very quick for someone his size. It's amazing to me to see how far he fell. Vincent has a good balance of size, and quickness.

Schneider IMO if given the chance is going to become a top 10 goalie in the NHL. He was just so good at the WJC. Schneider has a awesome combination of size, quickness, and lightning quick reflexes.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
Honestly I think Schneider deserves all the praise, IMO Ellis is the third best goalie prospect behind Vincent. I love Vincent(not in that way). He has size, and very good reflexes for someone his size. Starting goaltending potential IMO. He's very quick for someone his size. It's amazing to me to see how far he fell. Vincent has a good balance of size, and quickness.

Schneider IMO if given the chance is going to become a top 10 goalie in the NHL. He was just so good at the WJC. Schneider has a awesome combination of size, quickness, and lightning quick reflexes.

Ellis is better than Vincent. Vincent lacks the mental game and has alot of holes that he leaves open. Ellis controls himself alot better in the net and stays calm, Vincent though big and fast, leaves too many spaces open for scorers to take advanatage of him, and he collapses mentally at times.

insider

Nov 14, 2003
Vincent is headed down Jeff Drouins Delauriers Avenue. So is Ellis-Plante. Less than impressive crew, but getting better.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
Ellis is better than Vincent. Vincent lacks the mental game and has alot of holes that he leaves open. Ellis controls himself alot better in the net and stays calm, Vincent though big and fast, leaves too many spaces open for scorers to take advanatage of him, and he collapses mentally at times.

I don't see anything wrong with Vincent's mental game. I like Vincent more than Ellis, but I disagree with the poster above me who was saying they're going down the JDD path. Both players have improved every year, and Ellis is one of the top goalies in the Q, and posts very good stats playing behind a piss poor defense. Vincent is also going to get a chance next season to prove himself. Both goalies have improved every year.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
I don't see anything wrong with Vincent's mental game. I like Vincent more than Ellis, but I disagree with the poster above me who was saying they're going down the JDD path. Both players have improved every year, and Ellis is one of the top goalies in the Q, and posts very good stats playing behind a piss poor defense. Vincent is also going to get a chance next season to prove himself. Both goalies have improved every year.

I have seen Vincent play probably around 10 games, and I find when he starts to lose focus, they just open the flood gates. I found he had too many holes in his game, he was letting in too many weak goals for me to really like him alot. But the guy is big, good reflexes and is fast so if things are worked on I am not saying he won't be good. I just see Ellis having a little more upside myself.

BAuldie

Apr 5, 2004
Nanaimo, B.C.

I dunno.. I see a lot of similarities.. especially in playing time challenges down the road. With Luongo signed long term.. thats Schneider, Vincent and Ellis all vying for spots. There isn't time for all of them to get starting minutes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->