GDT: Canucks free agent frenzy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
This is somewhat surreal. The NHL blows off half a season to get the CBC "right" and reset the salary cap. But the new CBA includes 2 "get out of fail free" cards in the form of 2 compliance buyouts. So what do all these teams do? Go out and give 3rd liners 5, 6 and 7 year deals.

I for one am not surprised.

Happens all the time.

Owners ***** about paying too much money but they also need to complete.

If you have a **** product, no one comes to watch thus no revenues.

It's a double-edge sword.

Don't pay the prices = **** team, **** product, no revenues.

Pay the prices = decent/good team, people come, revenue.

How Ya Drouin

12/08/13 GM GamesRIP
Apr 24, 2013
Ontario
Hmm... well there's the buyout now so I don't think it's too bad.

And if anything not being able to sign these 12-year circumvention contracts means those contracts are easier to move IMO. I mean look no further than the Luongo situation.

But over all, I agree. Stay away from these prices. Too exorbitant.

There has always been the buyout. But the compliance buyout was only available this summer for two players.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I was just thinking that. Maybe it's a good thing that Gillis is handcuffed preventing him from doing some even dumber moves like we're seeing today with Clarkson, Clowe, Gordon etc.

Yeah for sure, I don't buy that Booth's value is up significantly now though. Again perception is just a crazy thing, Clarkson/Clowe have that shiny new toy effect and Booth has that salary cap dump stink..if that makes any sense. I know that GM's are smart guys, but everyone gets caught up in it and GM's that have money to spend will get ripped by their fanbase and possibly their ownership if they just sit on the sideline and miss out on the top UFA's, even if the UFA's aren't really even typical top UFA's.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Matt Cullen gets 2 years, $3.5M per from Nashville. Only paying 500k more than Edmonton did for Gordon for double the points. :naughty:

arsmaster*

There's no telling as to whether he'll even be a 2nd line player next season. He had a hot streak this year, then cooled off and finished horribly. Might be a guy that doesn't have more than 25-15 in him. Not to mention his chemistry with Elias... who knows how he does without him.

4 goals and 1 assist over his last 20 games.

Funny thing about that is, when Both bettered that at the end of 2012 (with 5 goals and 1 assist) people were ready to buy him out at $4.25x3.

The same persons wanting that are saying $5.25X7 is a good deal for Clarkson :help::shakehead

CanadianPirate

Apr 17, 2007
I'm liking what the canucks are doing today. Stay away from these insane contracts. The only thing I wish they would do is re-sign Lapierre. Best fourth liner the canucks have had in a long time.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie now
Stephen Weiss to DET is done. 5 years, $4.9M.

now that's a good deal. I had weiss at 5.5m

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
What about chad larose or cooke?

I like LaRose a lot, no thanks on Cooke. Would look great on the 4th line, but he'll want too much money for that role and clearly this team doesn't want those types of players if they let a solid 4LC like Lappy walk.

deadinthewater

Jan 14, 2012
I remember when I used to be so preoccupied with UFA day, and getting mad about us not signing anyone significant (not that we never did or anything). But now I don't really give a **** anymore. I'm more excited about a couple of years down the line when Shinkaruk, Horvat, Gaunce, etc. will make the line-up.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie now

now that's a good deal. I had weiss at 5.5m

30 years old, I'm guessing they got him to take less per and gave him a year more than they wanted. For cap hit that's not bad though for one of the top UFA centers.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Glad we're not involved in this mess.

Am still hoping we round out our defensemen though, would like Alberts back.

I think our veteran center will come via trade - Boyle or Goc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad