GDT: Canucks free agent frenzy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Worst. Contract. Ever.

He turns 30 next season and guys like this simply don't maintain their level of play well into their 30s.

They're paying him $6 million/year when he's 36, and he'll likely regress to a 3rd line, 10-10-20 player by the 3rd year of the deal.

There's no telling as to whether he'll even be a 2nd line player next season. He had a hot streak this year, then cooled off and finished horribly. Might be a guy that doesn't have more than 25-15 in him. Not to mention his chemistry with Elias... who knows how he does without him.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
I know a lot of you guys are unhappy with the management, but not biting on this insanity is one of our management team's better qualities.

Tim McCracken

Good loser = LOSER!
Jan 4, 2010
Jail
Why would we dump it, when it would cost 150% of that contract to pick up a comparable player.

Booth drives possession, creates chances and reaks havoc near the crease. Without Booth, we have what, one other guy who can?

Besides, now that teams are seeing what comparables get, maybe Booth and his contract are attractive.

I was just thinking that. Maybe it's a good thing that Gillis is handcuffed preventing him from doing some even dumber moves like we're seeing today with Clarkson, Clowe, Gordon etc.

Shane

Nov 6, 2003
United Kingdom
Visit site
I really really want Iginla. It shouldn't be much to dump Booth and give him that money and a bit more, considering what the market looks like right now. There's gotta be a taker for Booth.

Iginla with the Sedins? And mentoring Kassian? Dios mio man. Resign Lappy or some other schlub for the fourth line centre spot, one or two other veteran depth guys making near minimum, and give Schroeder, Gaunce, Jensen, Horvat, Shinkaruk, and Corrado all a good opportunity at camp, I figure a couple of them should be able to make team.

Man, I'd be really happy with that.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
$5.25M per year for Clarkson isn't BAD. It isn't great, but if we had gotten rid of Booth this is something I'd look at. Don't like the 7 year term though.

Well the scouting report from devils fans at the end of the season was he was a grittier booth, lacked vision, threw everything on net as soon as he crossed the blue line.

Maybe he will be a home run and mesh with that team but he could be a regrettable signing. I do understand your point though wanting some uggrade to our top 6, the options are tough and the cap will make this hard.

If we somehow get brunner in some magical world I will celebrate.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
This is somewhat surreal. The NHL blows off half a season to get the CBC "right" and reset the salary cap. But the new CBA includes 2 "get out of fail free" cards in the form of 2 compliance buyouts. So what do all these teams do? Go out and give 3rd liners 5, 6 and 7 year deals.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Worst. Contract. Ever.

He turns 30 next season and guys like this simply don't maintain their level of play well into their 30s.

They're paying him $6 million/year when he's 36, and he'll likely regress to a 3rd line, 10-10-20 player by the 3rd year of the deal.

Agreed. He reminds me of Branden Morrow(though Morrow is/was a pretty good two-way player) and it wouldn't surprise me if he has a similar downward slope about halfway through this new contract.

KDizzle

Aug 25, 2005
Bay Area
Stay away from these prices. Stay away from this term. There's no more 'get of cap jail' cards. You can do some real, long term franchise damage here.

Hmm... well there's the buyout now so I don't think it's too bad.

And if anything not being able to sign these 12-year circumvention contracts means those contracts are easier to move IMO. I mean look no further than the Luongo situation.

But over all, I agree. Stay away from these prices. Too exorbitant.

topheavyhookjaw

Sep 7, 2008
hoping one of Roy or Grabovski ends up without a good long term option and takes a one year flyer, probably only way Canucks could afford one of them.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Sign all the giants.

blum 750k
fistric 1m
brule 600k

Ziostilon

Feb 14, 2009
I was just thinking that. Maybe it's a good thing that Gillis is handcuffed preventing him from doing some even dumber moves like we're seeing today with Clarkson, Clowe, Gordon etc.

Exactly. People can put down Booth all they want. But whats out there is even worse or equivalent.
And the fact MG only had to give up scraps to get him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->