Confirmed with Link: Canucks extend Jim Benning’s contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomP24684

Je m’appelle Tom
May 18, 2019
Your praise is still being determined without a baseline. What did you expect the average GM to do given 5 top10 picks in 6 years? What is your standard for a good/bad draft?

Overpaying players, I would say, is not the major reason Benning is detested here. It’s part of the work up, but it’s not definitive.

Article = “But Gillis” continued. If you want to truly push the discussion forward, the usual crutch references to Gillis and Linden will have to be done away with. Are you willing to try?
Stop it. Criticism of the great Benning seems not to be tolerated in these parts. I mean, he did hit on 1 out of 3 top 10 picks. That’s pretty generatonal. (Hughes and Podkolzin to be determined)

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
The thing I like most about Benning is his commitment to player culture. We have such a great group of guys on this team. Boeser and Pettersson and Hughes are all committed to winning, not celebrity and goofing around and mega-deals like the Leafs young stars, who couldn't care less that they haven't won a playoff round.

Look how well Horvat has developed from a projected 3rd line center to a 1st/2nd line beast in short order. Bringing in good veterans like Dorsett and young players like Baertschi to develop alongside him definitely helped, along with an old school coach like Desjardins. Horvat has credited all three, and now he's our future captain, and cultural leader, thanks to Benning.

He's sacrificed so much of his public image in order to lay the foundation of a championship squad here. He should know; he's a real champion, something we've never experienced in Vancouver. He has the heart and mind of a true winner. Kudos to you Jim, I have tears in my eyes thinking of all you've done for this city.
How is this bloke back again? Lmfao

Reactions: Elias GOATtersson

vanuck

Dec 28, 2009
Were you going for irony here Mathonwy?

Cuz seriously, that was the most toxic post in Canuck messageboard history bro! :laugh:

Oh hey, more use of the word "toxic". I see it's really trending this week.

brokenhole

Aug 12, 2015
C.D.C?
foIpcin.jpg

vanuck

Dec 28, 2009
This sub-forum has blown up almost exactly as gloriously as I imagined it would when I heard the news.

I think the Canucks are going to be pretty good next year :thumbu:

Like all the other times they were good when people predicted they'd be bad instead. Great to hear! :thumbu:

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Oh hey, more use of the word "toxic". I see it's really trending this week.

What could be more toxic than resigning yourself to this GM who has done nothing but faceplant every single year that he's been here. It's just so sad.

This year will be no different. Out of the playoff race by February. Blame injuries. Get another shiny new prospect. Benning is a genius. Rinse and repeat. I keep thinking that people will wise up eventually but it appears that this can go on forever.

What could be more toxic than that.

vanuck

Dec 28, 2009
I come here for me toxic supply. practice, being snark and cheeky. other forums for talking actual hockey.
When you say "talking actual hockey" do you mean just waving your pompoms?

Or alternatively, you guys discuss the merits of Benning's moves and conclude that they're actually good? Like the things we've seen over the past 5 years?

Yikes.

vanuck

Dec 28, 2009
What could be more toxic than resigning yourself to this GM who has done nothing but faceplant every single year that he's been here. It's just so sad.

This year will be no different. Out of the playoff race by February. Blame injuries. Get another shiny new prospect. Benning is a genius. Rinse and repeat. I keep thinking that people will wise up eventually but it appears that this can go on forever.

What could be more toxic than that.
It probably won't go on forever but it'll definitely go on for way too ****ing long.

Either way it seems like "toxic" is becoming a popular term amongst the anti-haterz. Wonder why...

vanuck

Dec 28, 2009
I could go back in time and dredge up posts about people hating the

Horvat pick.
Demko
Keeping the Sedins
Not forcing the Sedins out
Trading Kesler
Not understanding Kesler had an NTC
Taking Sbisa
Exposing Sbisa
Taking Boeser
Taking Pettersson

Honestly. No matter what this organization does it's hated on here. It's enti rely toxic. Then when someone chimes in with any kind fo actual hockey post backed up by credible fact there's a veritable storm of revisionist history experts popping up explaining why in their opinion that simple numbers are wrong.

"Fans" are so tiring it borders on the absurd here. This organization could have won the last 3 first overall picks and there'd still be complaints. Let's not even speak about game 6 and game 7s threads during the 2011 Stanley cup finals.

I enjoy this signing. it makes sense. People hate it. So be it. But damn...try not to trip over yourselves trying to make up ways it's worse than the last statement you posted
Nope. Try again.

And hey, more #toxic!

Marcel

Sep 24, 2015
When you say "talking actual hockey" do you mean just waving your pompoms?

Or alternatively, you guys discuss the merits of Benning's moves and conclude that they're actually good? Like the things we've seen over the past 5 years?

Yikes.

Posts like this are tiresome.

We get you don't like Benning or the extension so there is no need to whine and moan about it post after post.

The notion that you find it so hard to understand why the team would extend him suggests that you live in a Canucks only vacuum and are ignorant of the league as a whole or you are [MOD]

And lost on you seems to be the fact that the majority of the few Canuck fans who their spend time on message boards or listen to sports talk approve of the decision and I would suspect that the vast majority of fans who don't spend their time on message boards also support the extension.

But you frame it that they are the pompom waivers and the ignorant ones?

Last edited by a moderator:

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Like all the other times they were good when people predicted they'd be bad instead. Great to hear! :thumbu:

The thing is, we'll likely be a better team...you don't typically add veteran talent and get worse. However, the stupidity of it all is that this moronic GM tries to cover up his inadequacies through the UFA market because he can't make a trade to save his life....creating a logjam of overpaid middling talent, chewing up cap space that should be meant for our prime talents. We may battle for a playoff position but we're never going to be competitive enough to be a contender. Benning has shown he has no clue how to build anything, he throws shit at a wall and hopes he's making a pretty picture.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas

We get you don't like Benning or the extension so there is no need to whine and moan about it post after post.

The notion that you find it so hard to understand why the team would extend him suggests that you live in a Canucks only vacuum and are ignorant of the league as a whole or you are [MOD]

And lost on you seems to be the fact that the majority of the few Canuck fans who their spend time on message boards or listen to sports talk approve of the decision and I would suspect that the vast majority of fans who don't spend their time on message boards also support the extension.

They are.

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
Just woke up and remembered the absurdity of the situation. :laugh:

I remember checking leddit the other day when this broke and people still talking about it being a good move. Luckily it seems those numbers are dropping, the supporters (with updoots still) were complaining about "Benning haters" and all that drivel, but the fact that there is a noteworthy base of alleged "Benning haters" on Reddit should paint a pretty bleak picture of this fanbase's support for management.

So that's nice.

Laying it on a bit thick bud, just a little too on the nose 4/10

Reddit is literally the dumbest demographic on the internet. The very idea of it is stupid with upboats and how only unanimously popular opinion gets any sort of exposure. Not to say it doesn't have it's place if you're trying to pirate something or you're looking for niche information. But it is a containment zone outside of that. Oh good, the lower portion of the IQ Bell Curve feels this way. Thanks for informing me, Reddit.

"Canucks have the best prospect pool in the universe!"

10k upboats.

Last edited:

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012

The notion that you find it so hard to understand why the team would extend him suggests that you live in a Canucks only vacuum and are ignorant of the league as a whole or you are by nature a whiner and complainer.

Your post is truly the tiresome. I probably shouldn’t dignify it with a result....but it’s obvious to anyone that Jim Benning has failed to meet any sort of reasonable expectations that are based on a reasonable base line performance. This is obvious to anyone that follows the NHL somewhat closely, and is also why it is almost unprecedented that general managers that perform as poorly as Jim Bennning are not fired. You just don’t see it happen.

Your reference to the general Canucks fan Cade is laughable. Who cares what they think? The average Canucks fan is an idiot, just turn on any sports radio show in Vancouver and it will be plain to see.

Reactions: vanuck

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
As soon as next season, not only is it a legitimate possibility that this will be the worst era ever as a Canucks fan... it also has a legitimate possibility to be the worst team in the NHL during the Benning-leadership era.

I'm as big a Benning hater as the next guy, but that first part just isn't true. We were a sub .500 team for 15 straight years from 1977 to '91. Points were in the 50s and 60s ten of those 15.

It gets glossed over, because we actually made the playoffs in 9 of those 15 seasons, due to stupid divisional systems and Oprah-like 'You make the playoffs, you make them, everyone (16/21) make the playoffs!'. Several of those seasons we were the 4th or 5th worst team in the league, yet still in the playoffs.

It's why we paid such a high price to recruit Pat Quinn, despite superficial success of making the playoffs, it was clear to ownership we were in deep trouble, and were never going to leave that mediocrity.

That's also why it's so stupid that Benning and Co have this silly 'make the playoffs one year and everything will be hunky dory' attitude. It shouldn't change a thing in regards to Benning's evaluation, which should come up "Very Poor" regardless.

vanuck

Dec 28, 2009

Oh, I (and others) get why he was extended even if it's completely ass backwards, although it's obvious that he didn't deserve the extension.

And if you're not waving pompoms, how on earth can anyone look at the kind of management we've had in place over the last 5 years and come away with the conclusion that they're worth keeping around?

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
So on the positive side, this points all fingers at Aquilini now, right?
So on the positive side, this points all fingers at Aquilini now, right?

On the negative side, the problem with this team definately starts with the ownership and the meddling direction that comes from them, and they have no intention of selling the team so....

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Oh, I (and others) get why he was extended even if it's completely ass backwards, although it's obvious that he didn't deserve the extension.

And if you're not waving pompoms, how on earth can anyone look at the kind of management we've had in place over the last 5 years and come away with the conclusion that they're worth keeping around?

you're on a role bro, keep it coming. where are the rest of you guys? the mob that is suppose to be here? love the "pom pom waiving one" Never seen that one before, even against the nastiest flames or Leafs fans trolling us. But still not enough toxic bro.

My favourite thing about this is the correlation between pro-benning, and anti-tank. That is some serious cult behaviour, to somehow not understand that the teams results under Benning are indistinguishable from tanking. It's fascinating.

it goes both ways. You think there is a cult like mentality with the "Benning Bros". (supporters) and others think there is mob like mentality (Benning haters). Just look Vanuck. Pom Pom waiving. I will use that next time.

[MOD]

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Oh well. Just gives him job security so he doesn’t make rash decisions and ruin our future before he dips. It’s not like the extension makes us unable to fire him lol. Yeah it sucks but chill out people, let’s see how we do this year.

Reactions: Metal Tattooist 71
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad