Prospect Info: Canucks draft Jackson Dorrington Round 6, #176 2022

cc

Feb 28, 2002
This pick was the weirdest for me. I'm not sure what they saw in him. I would have rather taken a chance and drafted 6'8 behemoth Jack Sparkes that ended up with the Kings

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
This continues a scouting trend for the Canucks---selecting guys out of the USHL who are graduating to college hockey next year. Not sure what the futures are for guys like Jack Malone; Jackson Kunz; Aiden McDonough; and Jacob Truscott.

But obviously the Canucks are comfortable with this pipeline. It gives these players 3-4 years in high-level NCAA hockey before a decision has to be made.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Statistically this seems like a terrible pick.

I'm guessing he must have had a great Ivan Hlinka tournament at the start of the season before going back to his bad junior team for an unimpressive year?

We love these Northeastern recruits. We'll have had one in the system constantly for over a decade by the time Dorrington finishes his 4 years.

Reactions: VIPettersson

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
This continues a scouting trend for the Canucks---selecting guys out of the USHL who are graduating to college hockey next year. Not sure what the futures are for guys like Jack Malone; Jackson Kunz; Aiden McDonough; and Jacob Truscott.

But obviously the Canucks are comfortable with this pipeline. It gives these players 3-4 years in high-level NCAA hockey before a decision has to be made.

I don't know that it's any more of a scouting "trend" than, say, selecting players who play in the CHL, or players who play forward.

I believe there's only one team that hasn't drafted a USHL kid in one of the past two drafts, and the league routinely produces more draftees than the QMJHL. It's not like this is some kind of quirk in the Canucks' methodology here.

Last edited:

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
Ummm....what did they see in this pick? Reminds me of the Kristoffer Gunnarsson or Mackenze Stewart picks.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
He's a good skater like Luca Sbisa. Thick kid with wheels, uses his body and isn't easy to pushover. But I think he's got breakout problems similar to Sbisa and doesn't have the "touch" with the puck that 2020+ defencemen need to play in the NHL.

He can develop it over time. I guess we'll have to wait for the games to begin to see how he plays.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014

Interesting that the scouts saw something in him that analysts and us arm chair fans couldnt know or see. Still unlikely he makes it but this kinda start is what youd hope for this long shot prospect

Reactions: supercanuck

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Interesting that the scouts saw something in him that analysts and us arm chair fans couldnt know or see. Still unlikely he makes it but this kinda start is what youd hope for this long shot prospect
You can see things in players all the time regardless of stat lines.. or if they are on shitty or sloppy teams

Sometimes in those situations things can jump out more.. like skating, work ethic, tenacity and character.. which sounds like things faber is seeing

Reactions: MarkMM

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I actually had Dorrington in my “Interesting Late Round Flyer” category. Never saw him play. Only thing I knew was he had NHL size, was going to the NCAA, is a left handed defenseman, and had a cool name.

I was cautiously happy when they drafted him. Since he’s a late rounder, I don’t expect anything out of him. If he can be even be an organizational player (ex: Julian Brisebois) that would be a pretty big win.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
I actually had Dorrington in my “Interesting Late Round Flyer” category. Never saw him play. Only thing I knew was he had NHL size, was going to the NCAA, is a left handed defenseman, and had a cool name.

I was cautiously happy when they drafted him. Since he’s a late rounder, I don’t expect anything out of him. If he can be even be an organizational player (ex: Julian Brisebois) that would be a pretty big win.
"Julian"?

Reactions: Vector

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad