Confirmed with Link: Canucks draft D Mike Williamson 175th overall (6th round)

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Thanks guys. Raymond eh? Not a whole lot of history to go back on, then, with that league, and even he lit it up as a 19 year old. Seems like MG throwing his scout a bone here.

I'd throw him a redundancy cheque if this turns out as expected.

SweetStache

Jan 28, 2013
20 y/o defender under 0.5 points/game in a weak league? Heading to a really crappy college program at Penn State?

First reaction is that this one looks like a lemon.

I wouldn't call Penn State a crappy program (just yet). The program has only been D1 for one year but they already have beaten Vermont, Wisconsin, Michigan State, Ohio State and the US under 18 team. Pegula built them a top notch arena which opens later this year.

Their goalie got picked 70th overall by NYI.

http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/m-hockey/psu-m-hockey-body.html

TBIF

Jan 8, 2011
Raymond starred in the AJHL and then was at U of Minn Duluth
for a year or two.

Price followed a similar path, but played all 4 years at Colgate.

I was aware he was an AJHL'er, watched him play in Camrose, wasn't sure if we drafted from Camrose or or UMD though

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Given our 6th round history... safe to say whoever we picked wouldn't matter given the only prospect in the 6th round who has/had any upside is Joe Cannata (and i guess Shirokov a few years back). But the rest are non-factors with virtually no chance/had no chance of making the NHL so nothing new here nor out of the norm given the chance a 6th rounder makes the NHL is pretty low anyways. Would've prefer going for a boom/bust pick but who knows, maybe going with a no upside pick lands us a bottom 6 dman a few years later.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
We got Mason Raymond out of the AJHL too, true, but Raymond is probably the greatest player in NHL history to be drafted out of there. Gary Valk is probably 2nd. Not optimistic.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
optimistic would be giving this guy a chance at any level of professional hockey, even the sphl. i cant fathom what the **** they were thinking here

Zarpan

Apr 27, 2010
Vancouver
I have no idea about him, but at least he was ranked by Central Scouting unlike Hannay and Fuller.

arsmaster*

So nobody has dug anything up on this guy yet?

Been playing on google, found a blog with video clips here: http://thankyouterry.blogspot.ca/2013/01/all-saints-day.html

Now all I can really find is team new, but his Spruce Grove Saints team made it to the league finals losing in 5 to the eventual RBC Cup Champs (best junior A team in Canada...the Memorial Cup of Junior A).

Seems like a guy who`s struggled with injuries but might have upside.

Part of the reason I started digging was because MS brought up a Nick Holden in the Jon Blum thread, and I thought it was interesting people were advocating to sign that guy, and his career to date is very similar to Williamson`s. Jet people are instantly ready to call this 6th rounder a wasted pick.

Holden went the WHL route after playing in the AJHL, but the point remains. These are late round flyers on long term prospects, that might someday amount to something.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
So nobody has dug anything up on this guy yet?

Been playing on google, found a blog with video clips here: http://thankyouterry.blogspot.ca/2013/01/all-saints-day.html

Now all I can really find is team new, but his Spruce Grove Saints team made it to the league finals losing in 5 to the eventual RBC Cup Champs (best junior A team in Canada...the Memorial Cup of Junior A).

Seems like a guy who`s struggled with injuries but might have upside.

Part of the reason I started digging was because MS brought up a Nick Holden in the Jon Blum thread, and I thought it was interesting people were advocating to sign that guy, and his career to date is very similar to Williamson`s. Jet people are instantly ready to call this 6th rounder a wasted pick.

Holden went the WHL route after playing in the AJHL, but the point remains. These are late round flyers on long term prospects, that might someday amount to something.

And Holden is available for free as very low cost UFA. Wouldn't mind Comets picking him up.

None the less, fingers crossed for Williamson breaking out.

arsmaster*

We should get viewings of him with Penn State in the inaugural season of the Big Ten Conference in NCAA college hockey.

He`ll have head to head games against Joseph Labate.

SgtToody

Mar 16, 2013
Apparently the Canucks saw a lot of character in him, and ownership was adamant that the club go after someone who Mike wouldn't be tempted to sign to a long term, no trade contract. Also, he's related to Italian royalty on his mom's side - Chef Boyardee.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad