Prospect Info: Canucks draft D Jacob Truscott (5th Round, 144th Overall) (University of Michigan)

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
The blown play looks like he didn't trust his d partner to take the man along the boards. The fact that he thought to do that means he missed is man coming through the center. Not keeping his head up and a tendency to want to do too much. Not uncommon for a freshman and definitely something that good coaching can iron out over time.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The blown play looks like he didn't trust his d partner to take the man along the boards. The fact that he thought to do that means he missed is man coming through the center. Not keeping his head up and a tendency to want to do too much. Not uncommon for a freshman and definitely something that good coaching can iron out over time.
His D partner waived to him, just as the forward hit Center, so IMO that indicates that the D partner has the guy coming down the wall and that he should protect the middle of the ice.

This should be something that the coaches help him iron out. Trust his D partner and pick up a man. turning the way he did to face his goalie, the only good that would do is if the forward shot the puck and he could pick up the rebound. Otherwise, he's in no man's land.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I mean this was Michigan's biggest test of the season at the end of long stretch of games
they are 1-4 in their last 5 games.

Minny is soooo good.
Perfect PK%
amazing PP
and they have never trailed once all season.

he had good plays deflecting shots off of the rush
Michigan defense as a whole sucks in entry defense and they suck with assignments and switching.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Is Truscott stuck behind 2 big names on the left side in Power and York, or is he simply a marginal prospect?
York is likely to sign with Philly when his season ends but Hughes will join Michigan next season. Whether Power turns pro will defend on when the draft is and whether it makes sense for him to go pro. He has a late birthday so a little more experienced than an regular 18 year old.

Not sure his ice time will crank up barring either Power turning pro or Hughes doing what he is this season and shifting to the right side.

Reactions: lindgren

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
York is likely to sign with Philly when his season ends but Hughes will join Michigan next season. Whether Power turns pro will defend on when the draft is and whether it makes sense for him to go pro. He has a late birthday so a little more experienced than an regular 18 year old.

Not sure his ice time will crank up barring either Power turning pro or Hughes doing what he is this season and shifting to the right side.

If Power goes #1 it's hard to see him not turning pro especially after this WC performance. I think Erik Johnson was the last #1 overall pick not to play in the NHL in his draft +1 year.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
If Power goes #1 it's hard to see him not turning pro especially after this WC performance. I think Erik Johnson was the last #1 overall pick not to play in the NHL in his draft +1 year.

He probably will, but that being said I don't think every #1 should go straight to the show the year after they are drafted. Jack Hughes definitely shouldn't have.

Reactions: F A N

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
He probably will, but that being said I don't think every #1 should go straight to the show the year after they are drafted. Jack Hughes definitely shouldn't have.

Hughes, Hischer, Kakko, are all examples of players who should have spent at least another year developing but were rushed and have ultimately hit a ceiling because of it. It would be in Buffalo best interest to let Power play another year at Michigan and develope a more dominated offensive game. I dont think letting a prospect over develope has ever failed

Last edited:

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Hughes, Hischer, Kakko, are all explains of players who should have spent at least another year developing but were rushed and have ultimately hit a ceiling because of it. It would be in Buffalo best interest to let Power play another year at Michigan and develope a more dominated offensive game. I dont think letting a prospect over develope has ever failed
Hard to say they hit a ceiling because of it. Owen Nolan, Joe Thorton and others started slow in 1st year but had big second years.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Hughes, Hischer, Kakko, are all examples of players who should have spent at least another year developing but were rushed and have ultimately hit a ceiling because of it. It would be in Buffalo best interest to let Power play another year at Michigan and develope a more dominated offensive game. I dont think letting a prospect over develope has ever failed

Hard to say they hit a ceiling because of it. Owen Nolan, Joe Thorton and others started slow in 1st year but had big second years.

There's also Stamkos who probably had the most difficult start to his NHL career of any #1 overall pick in recent memory. I'm sure there are some players whose development is ruined by being "rushed" to the NHL but I also feel that players who are meant to be stars usually find a way to become one. Hughes, for example, is doing fine.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I was actually somewhat optimistic about the Truscott selection. Hopefully he has a big sophomore season with more opportunity once Cam York moves on.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
If the Canucks actually had a decently deep prospect pool, this thread is probably a lot shorter. We just have to cling onto any half-decent prospect that’s in the system at this point. Especially on defense.

Reactions: timw33

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
If the Canucks actually had a decently deep prospect pool, this thread is probably a lot shorter. We just have to cling onto any half-decent prospect that’s in the system at this point. Especially on defense.

This thread is short if you take out all the posts that isn't related to Truscott. Certainly, this thread isn't as long as Jordan Subban's.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
He's playing with Luke Hughes this season who is playing the right side.

Can't hurt his development playing with a top 5 pick
Getting top 4 minutes is key.

Last year Cam York, the Flyers first round pick was on the roster as a Left Shot which limited Truscott's minutes with Power there as well.

Reactions: Lindgren

HockeyNightInAsia

Mar 22, 2020
Yep. Cautiously optimistic on him as well. Hopefully he has soaked everything in from the many talents around him, and now start building his game on it.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Has a chance to make Team USA

I know Pearson loves his steady stay at hone nature and making simple plays

could see him being the 7th dman

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Truscott isn't trending too badly for a fifth round draft pick (144th overall in 2020). And getting regular minutes in a powerhouse Michigan program and is a candidate for Team USA in the World Juniors is a positive.

Problem is that he's listed at 6'1", 180 on Hockey DB. At that size, a d-man pretty well has to be an offensive wizard to have much chance of making it. But I suppose you have to be optimistic.

Sooner or later one of these later round flyers the Canucks take on d-men has to work out.....I mean not all of them can bust can they?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Truscott isn't trending too badly for a fifth round draft pick (144th overall in 2020). And getting regular minutes in a powerhouse Michigan program and is a candidate for Team USA in the World Juniors is a positive.

Problem is that he's listed at 6'1", 180 on Hockey DB. At that size, a d-man pretty well has to be an offensive wizard to have much chance of making it. But I suppose you have to be optimistic.

Sooner or later one of these later round flyers the Canucks take on d-men has to work out.....I mean not all of them can bust can they?
UM website has him at 178lbs. I’d say he’s a guy who will play a minimum of 3 years at UM before he even thinks about going pro. Needs to add weight and strength. Might even follow Lockwood’s lead and do the full 4 years based on his pro potential.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad