Proposal: Canucks - Devils

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
I do get the feeling theyre going to give Cory one more kick at the can...

Been saying this for a while as well. I'm not convinced at all that we are moving on from him this year. I'm just not sure if the organization sees it as necessary. Will largely depend on if the team wants to save real dollars, I think

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
This proposal seems like something a team does after all the trades they want to make fail and they decide the have to do something rather than nothing. The NJ owners are worth multiple billions of dollars and if the savings of a few million become a priority over making trades that actually move the needle then it is time for them to sell the team.

So much this entire post. The first half is precisely how I feel about the trade, the second part about ownership is just truth lol

Reactions: My3Sons

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I do get the feeling theyre going to give Cory one more kick at the can... especially if Tom really does feel like the reset switch on the rebuild has been hit like he's eluded to. For us it's yr 2351335134512345123 of this thing, for the org it's yr 1

I don’t understand how people can pissed off at this imaginary trade proposal when at least it means Cory is off this roster. Cory needs to gone, not buried in minors, but freed to explore other opportunities while we sign a NHL goalie.

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
Hey devils fans, Canucks fan coming in peace. I came up with an idea I think would be mutually beneficial to both teams. Im not sure how stingy the devils ownership is, but with a potential bubble season I’m sure any savings would be welcome even at the expense of dead cap for a year?

To NJD:
Sven baertschi (1 x 3.366M)
Loui Eriksson (2 x 6M)
3rd round pick (80th ovr)

CAP IN: 9.366M
CAP OUT: 6M
SALARY IN: 7.4M
SALARY OUT: 12M.

To VAN:
Cory Schneider (2 x 6M)

Jersey gets a mid 3rd to save 4.6M in real dollars at the expense of 3.366M of cap space. Add to the fact it also takes up an extra roster spot, it’s actually really a max of 2.666M of a cap dump as a 13th forward would make 700k+ anyways. You also get to shift Schneider’s salary into a middle 9 winger and a bottom 6 winger. Even if Jersey were to buyout Schneider, that would cost 8M in real dollars. So still saving 600k + salary of 2 roster spots = minimum 2M. If there’s no need for baertschi, y’all can buy him out. That would make it 1.766M in dead cap this year, and 800k next year for a 3rd round pick. It would also save New Jersey another 800k in real salary.
Pass, we already have too many young forwards vying for spots and we would lose our back up goalie in this trade

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
Canucks fan here in peace, wondering if the Devils would have any interest in a straight-up Eriksson Schneider deal, and if no, then the reasoning behind it. (I'm not familiar with the Devils including any prospects who may take up bottom-6 roles, nor the reasons behind Cory's fall from the potential #1 goalie status that he experienced after leaving Vancouver).

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Canucks fan here in peace, wondering if the Devils would have any interest in a straight-up Eriksson Schneider deal, and if no, then the reasoning behind it. (I'm not familiar with the Devils including any prospects who may take up bottom-6 roles, nor the reasons behind Cory's fall from the potential #1 goalie status that he experienced after leaving Vancouver).

No. I'm not doing it without something more from Vancouver. We don't have to move Cory, and quite frankly I don't care if cory spends the rest of his contract in the AHL. So even though there is some merit to this from a NJ standpoint (particularly from an ownership standpoint), and I would understand if we made such a deal, I personally would not do it without more coming from Vancouver. We don't have to do it, so I may as well flex some and if Vancouver balks and finds a contract swap elsewhere, that's fine with me as well.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

It probably doesn't make a ton of sense for us. We have a plethora of young forwards vying for spots and no backup goalie if we trade Cory. Our owners have ridiculously deep pockets and saving a couple million real dollars isn't a realistic concern, despite what some other Devils fans might tell you.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
It probably doesn't make a ton of sense for us. We have a plethora of young forwards vying for spots and no backup goalie if we trade Cory. Our owners have ridiculously deep pockets and saving a couple million real dollars isn't a realistic concern, despite what some other Devils fans might tell you.
Cory isn’t even a backup goalie anymore in the NHL, he’s been shot for years now.

Not having a backup goalie is not enough of a justification for not getting rid of him. We can sign one of a half a dozen in free agency.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I personally would trade Schneider for Eriksson straight up. Its way easier to "hide" a forward than it is to hide a goalie. Then make a play for a guy like Khudobin as a free agent and overpay him if you have to

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
OH wow he's that bad huh, nah you guys can keep him then haha.
He’s the worst goalie in the league that actually has a contract for next year.

There’s probably a few worse, but they don’t have a contract for next year and might be out of the league altogether.

I haven’t looked it up in a while, but I believe Schneider is either second to last or dead last in save percentage in the last 4 years out of all goalies in the NHL that have played at least 70 games since the start of the 16-17 season.

He once went like an 18 game stretch or something without allowing fewer than 3 goals in a game and even longer without a win.

crashline

What smells like, brother?
Feb 10, 2018

There’s probably a few worse, but they don’t have a contract for next year and might be out of the league altogether.

I haven’t looked it up in a while, but I believe Schneider is either second to last or dead last in save percentage in the last 4 years out of all goalies in the NHL that have played at least 70 games since the start of the 16-17 season.

He once went like an 18 game stretch or something without allowing fewer than 3 goals in a game and even longer without a win.

Yeah, but he's adorable.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
I personally would trade Schneider for Eriksson straight up. Its way easier to "hide" a forward than it is to hide a goalie. Then make a play for a guy like Khudobin as a free agent and overpay him if you have to
that's actually a bad idea. khudobin and schneider are the same age and if it takes an over payment in term and/or aav, you better look elsewhere.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
that's actually a bad idea. khudobin and schneider are the same age and if it takes an over payment in term and/or aav, you better look elsewhere.

uh, what? Khudobin is 10x the goalie Schneider is at this point. Don't really care that they are the same age.

I would much rather have Khudobin for 2 years, $~8 million total than Schneier for 2 years, $12 million total.

Reactions: Taylors lost step

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
uh, what? Khudobin is 10x the goalie Schneider is at this point. Don't really care that they are the same age.

I would much rather have Khudobin for 2 years, $~8 million total than Schneier for 2 years, $12 million total.
me too.
but you said overpay him. would you want him at 4x4m? there's a lot of risk attached to such a contract. khudobin is also small for goaltender, so he needs his mobility to be effective.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta

I agree 100% , we cannot go into the season with Schneider on the big club. He has to either be in the AHL / retire/ traded/ bought out ... anything but start a game for the Devils. That was reason #1 the team was out of the playoffs a month into the season.
Devils cannot have a garbage goalie playing while the rest of the team is trying to establish and find their identity with a new coach and a very young roster where confidence will be fragile and having a goalie that is no longer NHL caliber si a recipe for disaster.

Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I agree 100% , we cannot go into the season with Schneider on the big club. He has to either be in the AHL / retire/ traded/ bought out ... anything but start a game for the Devils. That was reason #1 the team was out of the playoffs a month into the season.
Devils cannot have a garbage goalie playing while the rest of the team is trying to establish and find their identity with a new coach and a very young roster where confidence will be fragile and having a goalie that is no longer NHL caliber si a recipe for disaster.
Quoted for truth.

Fitz has hopefully already come to terms with the fact that Schneider is the worst goalie in the NHL and that he cannot he here on the NHL roster in 20-21.

And f*** the paranoia over the buyout. Cammallerri was bought out 3 years ago with 2 years left on his deal at just a bit under what Schneider has owed left on his deal. And Cammalleri wasn’t even quite as bad as his position (he was bad though) as Schneider is at his. And Cammalleri wasn’t declining nearly as long by that point at Schneider has been now, which is 4 years.

Cammalleri was as old as Schneider is now though. Actually slightly older, just by months.

Reactions: Guttersniped

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
The OP doesn't do anything for us. The 3rd rounder is the best asset in the deal. Baertschi was waived twice last season, we could have had him for free if we wanted him. Eriksson is a negative, and Schnieder is too. The difference is we have no need to trade Schneider. Even if we paid Schneider his full contract just to sit home and play video games, we'd still have over $20M in cap space.

So this deal is swapping a bad contract we don't care about for a different bad contract we don't care about, and then getting a 3rd rounder as the price of absorbing an overpaid AHL player.

It has nothing to do with dollars, it's just not enough trade value to make it worth it for us.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Quoted for truth.

Fitz has hopefully already come to terms with the fact that Schneider is the worst goalie in the NHL and that he cannot he here on the NHL roster in 20-21.

And f*** the paranoia over the buyout. Cammallerri was bought out 3 years ago with 2 years left on his deal at just a bit under what Schneider has owed left on his deal. And Cammalleri wasn’t even quite as bad as his position (he was bad though) as Schneider is at his. And Cammalleri wasn’t declining nearly as long by that point at Schneider has been now, which is 4 years.

Cammalleri was as old as Schneider is now though. Actually slightly older, just by months.

But what about that late season resurgence? I mean Schneider has clearly resurrected his game and is ready to lead NJ back to respectability. Forget a degenerative hip, it's really a regenerative hip!

Reactions: Bleedred

spitsfan24

Mar 18, 2017
me too.
but you said overpay him. would you want him at 4x4m? there's a lot of risk attached to such a contract. khudobin is also small for goaltender, so he needs his mobility to be effective.
I'm pretty sure he meant overpay in terms of dollars, and not term.

Reactions: Zajacs Bowl Cut

Mr Bojanglez

Aug 17, 2007
From Jersey w/ Love
Would anyone do Ericsson straight up for a pick? What would that pick be?

He only makes $1m this year and $4m next year in actual cash. I think our owners would appreciate that. The Pierre LeBrun article peaked my interest.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Would anyone do Ericsson straight up for a pick? What would that pick be?

He only makes $1m this year and $4m next year in actual cash. I think our owners would appreciate that. The Pierre LeBrun article peaked my interest.

they would have to include their 2021 1st for me to take him without any contracts going back, which I doubt they 'd do considering they don't have their 1st this year

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
No, I would not.

I think this people will be surprised at how little it will cost Vancouver to get rid of Eriksson. Low $ (relatively) may make Loui an attractive trade piece in certain scenarios. Not saying he’ll bring back lots of value, but just that it may not cost Van as much to deal him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->