Proposal: Canucks - Devils

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Hey devils fans, Canucks fan coming in peace. I came up with an idea I think would be mutually beneficial to both teams. Im not sure how stingy the devils ownership is, but with a potential bubble season I’m sure any savings would be welcome even at the expense of dead cap for a year?

To NJD:
Sven baertschi (1 x 3.366M)
Loui Eriksson (2 x 6M)
3rd round pick (80th ovr)

CAP IN: 9.366M
CAP OUT: 6M
SALARY IN: 7.4M
SALARY OUT: 12M.

To VAN:
Cory Schneider (2 x 6M)

Jersey gets a mid 3rd to save 4.6M in real dollars at the expense of 3.366M of cap space. Add to the fact it also takes up an extra roster spot, it’s actually really a max of 2.666M of a cap dump as a 13th forward would make 700k+ anyways. You also get to shift Schneider’s salary into a middle 9 winger and a bottom 6 winger. Even if Jersey were to buyout Schneider, that would cost 8M in real dollars. So still saving 600k + salary of 2 roster spots = minimum 2M. If there’s no need for baertschi, y’all can buy him out. That would make it 1.766M in dead cap this year, and 800k next year for a 3rd round pick. It would also save New Jersey another 800k in real salary.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Furthermore, I see no reason to block youngsters for these players. It's time to let the kids play. Sven just ends up in the ahl.

I'd be amenable to Cory for Loui + third or some nominal prospect.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Hey devils fans, Canucks fan coming in peace. I came up with an idea I think would be mutually beneficial to both teams. Im not sure how stingy the devils ownership is, but with a potential bubble season I’m sure any savings would be welcome even at the expense of dead cap for a year?

To NJD:
Loui Eriksson (2 x 6M)

To VAN:
Cory Schneider (2 x 6M)

Jersey gets a mid 3rd to save 4.6M in real dollars at the expense of 3.366M of cap space. Add to the fact it also takes up an extra roster spot, it’s actually really a max of 2.666M of a cap dump as a 13th forward would make 700k+ anyways. You also get to shift Schneider’s salary into a middle 9 winger and a bottom 6 winger. Even if Jersey were to buyout Schneider, that would cost 8M in real dollars. So still saving 600k + salary of 2 roster spots = minimum 2M. If there’s no need for baertschi, y’all can buy him out. That would make it 1.766M in dead cap this year, and 800k next year for a 3rd round pick. It would also save New Jersey another 800k in real salary.

First thought for me is that we don’t need 2 extra players to jam up our bottom 6. We have a few good vets (Zajac) and young players in the lineup/some ready to make the jump from the AHL. I would think with the environment of a flat cap that the Devils will be using the opportunity to help bolster our top 6 in either FA or through trade opportunities with teams looking to survive the squeeze. Not a bad thought if our management has an internal budget but we have no true sign of that now.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Furthermore, I see no reason to block youngsters for these players. It's time to let the kids play. Sven just ends up in the ahl.

I'd be amenable to Cory for Loui + third or some nominal prospect.
Vancouver won’t add to swap the 2. There’s no plan to buyout Schneider at least for 1 year. Lou is the better player at this point, more valuable position given Schneider is sitting on the bench for 50+ games. Schneider could be a sieve in net and cost a team games. Eriksson as a 4th line winger is defensively responsible so he won’t cost you games but also won’t win you games. He’s a replacement level player. Lou has less real dollars owed even after Schneider is bought out. Schneider’s only value is that he would come at a 2M cap hit for 4 years if you buy him out year 1, or 2M x 2 if bought out year 2. At the same time with little revenue being generated and a potential bubble season, saving 3M and having a roster player vs a bought out player that has to be replaced is also worth something pretty valuable at this point. This is why I say the real dollars from Eriksson to Schneider vs the cap hit savings if bought out cancel out.

Now for players taking up roster spots from the young guns. Buyout Baertschi. It becomes 1.766M in dead cap year 1 and 800k in year 2. That ends up saving the owner 5.4M in real money. If Schneider is being bought out it still saves the owner 2.6M in real dollars.

owners are too cheap.
This deal saves the owners 4.6M in real dollars so isn’t that what the owner would want in this case? Even with a Schneider buyout, that’s still 600k in real dollars saved. Buyout baertschi and it becomes 1.4M in real dollars saved.

First thought for me is that we don’t need 2 extra players to jam up our bottom 6. We have a few good vets (Zajac) and young players in the lineup/some ready to make the jump from the AHL. I would think with the environment of a flat cap that the Devils will be using the opportunity to help bolster our top 6 in either FA or through trade opportunities with teams looking to survive the squeeze. Not a bad thought if our management has an internal budget but we have no true sign of that now.
Loui can be the 13th forward if you do have young players deserving of those roster spots. Baer, y’all can buyout so it’s just 1.766M in cap space and 800k the following year. Not much of a cap hit to take on for a 3rd round pick. If the Canucks had the space to do a deal like this, personally I would.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ripshot 43

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
First if it was an Eriksson for Schneider swap, there’s no need for Vancouver to add

Yeah there is. We don't need to make the move, plain and simple. So yeah, I'll just pass otherwise. The Canucks can look around elsewhere for a taker on him. Its straight up hardball from my standpoint for sure, I get that, but taking on cap dumps isn't going to be hard this year. What would Edmonton give to get out from under Russell this year (4m hit, 1.5 real cash dollars)? There are options. Teams with cap flexibility have options.

There is an ownership financial advantage maybe, but we do not have any indication that is something that ownership is going enforce or anything like that, and advocating that sort of advantage for a team probably gets nowhere from a fan perspective. There's no real hockey reason to make this trade, even with some advantages (top heavy buy out on Loui, for example, is probably better than a level on with Cory), which is what I would evaluate it on until I know that the ownership is capping real dollars spent.

Last edited:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Yeah I don't see the issue with taking on an extra $3 million of cap space for 'one' year and getting a pick since it's extremely unlikely we'll get enough cap dump deals to be anywhere near the celing this year. Maybe you could argue it should be a 2nd rounder at least, after the stupid Marleau trade last offseason. I don't really think (hope) that real salary savings would factor in too much of our offseason dealings though.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Yeah I don't see the issue with taking on an extra $3 million of cap space for 'one' year and getting a third rounder since it's extremely unlikely we'll get enough cap dump deals to be anywhere near the celing this year.

If we have an indication that we won't spend money, then sure, but it's easier to get to that ceiling than people think, depending on how we attack free agency. If we are 100% not going to use that money for anything else, I have no problem with just doing it to do it, but I'm not going to do that now. That would be way down the wait and see list.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Yeah there is. We don't need to make the move, plain and simple. So yeah, I'll just pass otherwise. The Canucks can look around elsewhere for a taker on him.

There is an ownership financial advantage maybe, but we do not have any indication that is something that ownership is going enforce or anything like that, and advocating that sort of advantage for a team probably gets nowhere from a fan perspective. There's no real hockey reason to make this trade, even with some advantages (top heavy buy out on Loui, for example, is probably better than a level on with Cory), which is what I would evaluate it on until I know that the ownership is capping real dollars spent.
There’s no reason for the Canucks to either at least for this season. It was more for year 2 and sentimental reasons I wanted Schneider back on the Canucks. Year 1 he’d be our backup. Year 2 is the year we buy him out for the cap savings.

Now if these teams did a deal of baertschi + 3rd round pick for a 7th round pick, that would clear enough cap for the Canucks as well for next season. Would that work? Y’all could still buyout Baer or use him as a 13th forward. So either 1 yr of 3.66M for a 3rd and a guy that can play a 3rd lone role and fill in on the 2nd line or just 1.766M in cap space and 800k year 2 with a buyout.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
There’s no reason for the Canucks to either at least for this season. It was more for year 2 and sentimental reasons I wanted Schneider back on the Canucks. Year 1 he’d be our backup. Year 2 is the year we buy him out for the cap savings.

Now if these teams did a deal of baertschi + 3rd round pick for a 7th round pick, that would clear enough cap for the Canucks as well for next season. Would that work? Y’all could still buyout Baer or use him as a 13th forward. So either 1 yr of 3.66M for a 3rd and a guy that can play a 3rd lone role and fill in on the 2nd line or just 1.766M in cap space and 800k year 2 with a buyout.

For sure, and I understand that I'm 100% playing hardball in this scenario. That's the advantage of having some cap flexibility. I'd 100% do something like Baerschi + 3 for a 7. Especially since I think he can be buried.

Obviously, I'm looking for bigger upside cap deals in the immediacy, but I have no problem with that deal in the end on a single year just to use space, and like I said to Devs, it really depends on where we are at with regards to spending money. But these sort of deals are never bad from a fan perspective.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
For sure, and I understand that I'm 100% playing hardball in this scenario. That's the advantage of having some cap flexibility. I'd 100% do something like Baerschi + 3 for a 7. Especially since I think he can be buried.

Obviously, I'm looking for bigger upside cap deals in the immediacy, but I have no problem with that deal in the end on a single year just to use space, and like I said to Devs, it really depends on where we are at with regards to spending money. But these sort of deals are never bad from a fan perspective.
Fair. I was thinking ownership did want to spend as little as possible given that New Jersey spent the least money this past season. On top of that with little revenue being generated by the league right now and potential of that for next season, I assumed that would continue to be the case. Given what’s happening in the world right now, I honestly think any teams owner presented with saving real dollars right now for cap space if the team doesn’t need it would take it and run. Our own owner may veto an Eriksson for Schneider swap as I believe he once said he didn’t like having to spend 3M on a minor league player (Gagner) and basically was hinting he wouldn’t support taking on extra salary for a competitive advantage that’s not a roster player.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
I'd be much more interested in a Baertschi + Virtanen package.
We’d have no interest in dumping virtanen like that. Detroit’s another team im sure would play ball for a deal along the lines of baerstchi and a 3rd for a 7th

We’d be open to listening on offers for virtanen though incase he prices himself out of our budget but not really looking to move him so it would have to be an offer we can’t refuse

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

To NJD:
Loui Eriksson (2 x 6M)

To VAN:
Cory Schneider (2 x 6M)

This a major deal but it does save NJ money.

Schneider's buyout is 8m :
2m (cash/cap)/4yr (20-24) = 8m total

Eriksson’s was paid a 3m signing bonus already and can be bought out in 20-21 or his last year in 21-22.
buyout 20-21 667k sal/5.67m cap
21-22 1m s. bonus + 667k sal/ 3.67m cap
22-23 667k sal/667k cap
23-24 667k sal/667k cap = 3.67m total
Or
20-21 1m sal/6m cap
buyout 21-22 1m bonus + 1m sal/4m cap
22-23 1m sal/1m cap = 4m total

Baertschi is getting paid in his last year but I assume we would likely buy him out.
20-21 2.4m sal/3.36m = 2.4m total
Or
buyout 20-21 800k sal/1.76m cap
21-22 800k sal/ 800k cap = 1.6m total

This is from Cap Friendly numbers, so Eriksson is 3.67m-4m, assuming we buy him out at some point, while Baertschi is 1.6m-2.4m. Any team willing to take Cory’s contract will make an intriguing trading partner and we do save more $ here than from Cory’s buyout and the cap hit severity is earlier.

Maybe the sweetener has to be more but it wouldn’t be much more, maybe a 2021 4th or something. I say that because while the Devils save money they don’t save it right now when they aren’t making any. Eriksson of course can blow this up but putting every team with cap space on his no trade list, including the Devils.

Last edited:

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
I feel we dont need to trade Schneider. He can stay as an expensive 3rd goalie if we bring in another goalie to serve as MacBlack backup.

Therefore I want a 1st round pick from Vancouver if we are taking 2 cap dumps. This deal does nothing to improve NJ on the ice. If we are making a cap related move, it has to result in a clear win. Like a 2nd round pick for Marc Savard's cap hit. Cap related deals must nets NJ an asset for nothing, and it doesnt block any young players development.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
This a major deal but it does save NJ money.

Schneider's buyout is 8m :
2m (cash/cap)/4yr (20-24) = 8m total

Eriksson’s was paid a 3m signing bonus already and can be bought out in 20-21 or his last year in 21-22.
buyout 20-21 667k sal/5.67m cap
21-22 1m s. bonus + 667k sal/ 3.67m cap
22-23 667k sal/667k cap
23-24 667k sal/667k cap = 3.67m total
Or
20-21 1m sal/6m cap
buyout 21-22 1m bonus + 1m sal/4m cap
22-23 1m sal/1m cap = 4m total

Baertschi is getting paid in his last year but I assume we would likely buy him out.
20-21 2.4m sal/3.36m = 2.4m total
Or
buyout 20-21 800k sal/1.76m
21-22 800k sal/ 800k = 1.6m total

This is from Cap Friendly numbers, so Eriksson is 3.67m-4m, assuming we buy him out at some point, while Baertschi is 1.6m-2.4m. Any team willing to take Cory’s contract will make an intriguing trading partner and we do save more $ here than from Cory’s buyout and the cap hit severity is earlier.

Maybe the sweetener has to be more but it wouldn’t be much more, maybe a 2021 4th or something. I say that because while the Devils save money they don’t save it right now when they aren’t making any. Eriksson of course can blow this up but putting every team with cap space on his no trade list, including the Devils.
We dont need to save money. We have one of the lowest payrolls in the league.
We need to improve the team.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
We dont need to save money. We have one of the lowest payrolls in the league.
We need to improve the team.
I mean this deal isn’t a dream come true for me either but I see the logic behind the proposal. Schneider needs to be bought out by NJ and Eriksson needs to be bought out by Van. Eriksson’s buyout has a brutal cap hit early on so Van would swap it for Schneider because his buyout would have a manageable cap hit at the start. Teams trade bad contracts all the time, this does make sense.

Cap dumps usually involve salary, who knows if any Marc Savard-type deals are even available. Sure, if we took these cap dumps from Van without involving Schneider then they would have to give up a much better sweetener but then the cost goes way up and the team owners may not be too enthusiastic about spending millions on cap dump bribes.

I’m not interested in defending this trade much more, it’s unlikely to happen due to Eriksson’s modified NTC and imagining ways to save the team a couple million dollars and getting a 3rd isn’t a fun fantasy trade.

Reactions: Forge

johnny pierogi

15 MINUTES OF FAYNE
Aug 11, 2016
Warren County
Cory Schneider just built a brand new house in Millburn. He's going to keep taking his money from the Devils and then probably go to work for the team or the NHL Network

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
This proposal seems like something a team does after all the trades they want to make fail and they decide the have to do something rather than nothing. The NJ owners are worth multiple billions of dollars and if the savings of a few million become a priority over making trades that actually move the needle then it is time for them to sell the team.

Reactions: Forge

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
I do get the feeling theyre going to give Cory one more kick at the can... especially if Tom really does feel like the reset switch on the rebuild has been hit like he's eluded to. For us it's yr 2351335134512345123 of this thing, for the org it's yr 1

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Sven/Loui/Lind (RW taken early in 2nd in 17) /Woo (RD taken early 2nd in 18) for something simple
Devs get pcs they need, Van gets relief.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad