Canucks D. 1 to 10. ?

Superpest

Undrafted Free Agent
May 20, 2009
Cascadia
Edler (Having a bad year, but still the most complete defenseman)
Hamhuis
Bieksa
Garrison
Tanev
Ballard
Alberts
Barker
Vandermeer
Sauve/Corrado

deadinthewater

Jan 14, 2012
I don't even know who we have as depth D aside from Alberts... Vandemeer? I'd give the Canucks D a 6/10 right now. Garrison and Tanev are holding it together.

Wheatley

We Rabite You
Sep 24, 2010
Garrison-8
Tanev-8
Hamhuis-7
Bieksa-6
Ballard-6
Edler-5
Alberts-4
Barker-3

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Garrison - 8
Hamhuis - 7.5
Tanev - 6
Edler - 5.5
Bieksa - 5.5
Ballard - 4
Barker - 2
Alberts - 1
Vandermeer - NA
Joslin - NA

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Hamhuis
Bieksa
Garrison
Tanev
Ballard
Alberts
Barker
Vandermeer
Sauve/Corrado

In the minds of AV/Bowness:
Bieksa
Hamhuis
Garrison
Edler
Tanev
Alberts
Barker
Ballard
Vandermeer
Sauve/Corrado[/

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
Hamhuis
Bieksa
Garrison
Tanev
Ballard
Alberts
Barker
Vandermeer
Sauve/Corrado

Swap Barker and Alberts and that's my list. Although I wouldn't be surprised if Corrado shoots his way up the depth chart after a few NHL games.

Alflives*

I see many posters are coming around in their understanding of what the Canucks really have on D, and it's not great. Collectively, it's a good D, but it's not a Cup winning D.

Timmer44

Mar 3, 2006
Van City
Swap Barker and Alberts and that's my list. Although I wouldn't be surprised if Corrado shoots his way up the depth chart after a few NHL games.

HFboards, where prospect dmen shoot up depth charts in a few games...

Hamhuis
Edler
Garrison
Tanev
Bieksa
Ballard
Alberts
Barker
Vandemeer
Joslin
Sauve

nucksfan8888

Aug 9, 2006
I see many posters are coming around in their understanding of what the Canucks really have on D, and it's not great. Collectively, it's a good D, but it's not a Cup winning D.

This season, there has been no dynamic aspect to their game, not a single defenceman has shown the ability to take over a game defensively or offensively, but Hamhuis on the defensive side and Edler on the offensive side have shown in the past that they can for extended periods. I think the powerplay being so stagnant and predictable has hurt Edler's game, and Hamhuis either really declined over the summer and lockout or he is hurt and playing through injury.

I agree it's good, not great, as in it is solid but not flashy, but I don't agree it's not good enough to win a cup. Considering the forward depth of guys who will IMO lay the body on the line come playoff time in terms of blocked shots and backcheck, and goalies behind them, they will be fine come crunch time when compared to most of the other playoff teams.

As for rankings, rating play this year for me

Garrison - 8 - Started off slow, defensively is a rock, skating is good for a guy his size, his size is handy infront and in the corners, makes good pinches to keep the puck in, if he ever starts getting his shot on his net this contract will be a steal. (not all his fault, hopefully Roy on the point can give him some one timer passes that aren't in his feet)

Hamhuis - 7 - Just isn't the same fluid dman I have come to expect, been better the last 10 games or so, but somethings definitely up, hopefully just a confidence issue now. When he's on i think he can be a solid 8.5-9 and I fully expect him to turn it on come playoffs.

Edler - 7 - Once again a revolving door of partners, and stuck on the leagues worst powerplay as a last gasp option which makes him look even worse. But also I think his back is still messed up, doesn't seem to have the power and strength of years past when it comes to his shot, hitting, and even skating. I don't think we can expect much more from Edler this year, he is what he is, until I think he gets another off season to strengthen his back and core, still has the best offensive instincts of any of our dman.

Tanev - 7 - Defensively solid, usually good for a mistake free game, but when he tries offensively it takes away from his solid game, was playing above his head for awhile there, but I think he's dropped back down to his level, this could change to a 6.5-6 if he doesn't have another good stretch.

Bieksa - 6 - Just abysmal at times defensively, constantly switching sides with his partner when it isn't needed, gets caught behind the goaline when he should be on the post, much of this is also from having a revolving door of partners. Would be much better with Hamhuis and if he wasn't fighting the groin injury. Think he really steps it up come playoff time, just that kind of guy.

Ballard - 5 - Misused as always, but he has not made it better for himself, still good for a few mistakes a game that make you wonder, usually on the breakout, still a much better option for the 6 slot than anything else we have.

Alberts - 3.5 - A couple steps below Ballard, his physical play is good considering the rest of the defense isn't much for hitting these days, but once he starts getting minutes, he tries to do much offensively, when he doesn't have the skillset. Don't mind him as the #8 guy, but atm he seems to be a regular.

Barker - 3 - No physical play to speak of, and no defensive game either, gets walked by marginal offensive players, but on a good shift uses his stick well, gets the first pass on the forwards stick, and gets his shot on net, if he was younger I would say he just needs developing but he is what he is, not an NHL top 6 dman.

Squall

Mar 22, 2013
Hamhuis
Bieksa
Garrison
Tanev
Ballard
Alberts
Barker
Vandermeer
Sauve/Corrado

pretty much this. But Edler's 'bad year' puts him down below garrison IMO. Hope he gets back to form. He's my current favourite Canucks defensemen next to hamhuis.

Superpest

Undrafted Free Agent
May 20, 2009
Cascadia
Honestly I think we have the best top 5 defense unit in the league, but St Louis is very debatable.

I just wish it played as good as they look on paper.

Edler gets going, Garrison gets more chances/hits the net and Bieksa gets healthy and we are set.

Incredible how valuable/consistant Tanev has been.

Waveburner

Sep 22, 2002
1-Hamhuis
2-Edler
3-Garrison
4-Bieksa
5-Tanev
6-Ballard
7-Alberts
8-Joslin (still Canucks property yes? It was just an AHL trade I thought)
9-Barker
10-Andersson

Corrado/Price will not be ready for the playoffs. Same for Tommerness if he comes over. My guess is Vandermeer would be called up first. Hope it doesn't come to that for once. Let the D be healthy.

Sauve should not be listed. He will not even be re-signed in all likelihood.

Lawzy

May 27, 2011
BC
I'm thinking OP wants us to rate them individually out of 10 not list our top 10, lol.

1 being AHL lifer, 10 being Weber.

Edler 8.5/10 Edler mode, 6/10 back problem Edler.
Garrison 7.5/10.
Hamhuis 7/10.
Casual Kev 5/10, Juice 8/10.
Tanev 6.5/10.
Ballard 5.5/10.
Alberts 3/10.

I am talking into account more than this season.

Last edited:

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012
Ranked out of 10 for their roles.
IE. Hamhuis vs other #1 Dmen, a 10/10 would be a Chara or a Suter. Alberts vs other #7s, etc.

1 - Hamhuis - smooth skating shutdown guy, capable of 25 minutes if need be. Wish he had a better shot. 8.5/10
2 - Garrison - A rock on the top pairing. Booming shot but doesn't have the offensive instincts. 8/10
3 - Edler - Big, physical, great offensive instincts but inconsistent. Could be a #1 if not for his back. 7.5/10 (Injury free Edler is a #1D - 9)
4 - Bieksa - Juice is dominant, Casual Kev is not. Really injured right now and it shows in his skating. 6/10 (Injury free Bieksa is a #2 D - 8)
5 - Tanev - erases all mistakes on the ice, even makes his partners look a lot better. No shot on O. 9/10
6 - Ballard - The best #6 in the league. If given more freedom he's dynamic. 9.5/10
7 - Alberts - big hitter, good on the PK. Burned against speedier forwards. 8/10
8 - Barker - Trainwreck in his own zone. Decent in the O-zone 5/10
9 - Vandeemeer
10 - Joslin

The strength of the Nucks D when healthy is an awesome 2nd and 3rd pairing that alleviates pressure off the top pairing.
Edler - Bieksa as a second pairing is questionable in their own zone but dynamite with the Sedins in the o-zone.
Ballard - Tanev played very well in the playoffs last year however Ballard is currently injured.
Hamhuis - Garrison is a solid shutdown pairing. They can skate and provide some offense as well. Missing a Chara/Suter/Weber but oh well.

galiano

Mar 12, 2003
why do you ask ?
Visit site
This season, there has been no dynamic aspect to their game, not a single defenceman has shown the ability to take over a game defensively or offensively, but Hamhuis on the defensive side and Edler on the offensive side have shown in the past that they can for extended periods. I think the powerplay being so stagnant and predictable has hurt Edler's game, and Hamhuis either really declined over the summer and lockout or he is hurt and playing through injury.

I agree it's good, not great, as in it is solid but not flashy, but I don't agree it's not good enough to win a cup. Considering the forward depth of guys who will IMO lay the body on the line come playoff time in terms of blocked shots and backcheck, and goalies behind them, they will be fine come crunch time when compared to most of the other playoff teams.

As for rankings, rating play this year for me

Garrison - 8 - Started off slow, defensively is a rock, skating is good for a guy his size, his size is handy infront and in the corners, makes good pinches to keep the puck in, if he ever starts getting his shot on his net this contract will be a steal. (not all his fault, hopefully Roy on the point can give him some one timer passes that aren't in his feet)

Hamhuis - 7 - Just isn't the same fluid dman I have come to expect, been better the last 10 games or so, but somethings definitely up, hopefully just a confidence issue now. When he's on i think he can be a solid 8.5-9 and I fully expect him to turn it on come playoffs.

Edler - 7 - Once again a revolving door of partners, and stuck on the leagues worst powerplay as a last gasp option which makes him look even worse. But also I think his back is still messed up, doesn't seem to have the power and strength of years past when it comes to his shot, hitting, and even skating. I don't think we can expect much more from Edler this year, he is what he is, until I think he gets another off season to strengthen his back and core, still has the best offensive instincts of any of our dman.

Tanev - 7 - Defensively solid, usually good for a mistake free game, but when he tries offensively it takes away from his solid game, was playing above his head for awhile there, but I think he's dropped back down to his level, this could change to a 6.5-6 if he doesn't have another good stretch.

Bieksa - 6 - Just abysmal at times defensively, constantly switching sides with his partner when it isn't needed, gets caught behind the goaline when he should be on the post, much of this is also from having a revolving door of partners. Would be much better with Hamhuis and if he wasn't fighting the groin injury. Think he really steps it up come playoff time, just that kind of guy.

Ballard - 5 - Misused as always, but he has not made it better for himself, still good for a few mistakes a game that make you wonder, usually on the breakout, still a much better option for the 6 slot than anything else we have.

Alberts - 3.5 - A couple steps below Ballard, his physical play is good considering the rest of the defense isn't much for hitting these days, but once he starts getting minutes, he tries to do much offensively, when he doesn't have the skillset. Don't mind him as the #8 guy, but atm he seems to be a regular.

Barker - 3 - No physical play to speak of, and no defensive game either, gets walked by marginal offensive players, but on a good shift uses his stick well, gets the first pass on the forwards stick, and gets his shot on net, if he was younger I would say he just needs developing but he is what he is, not an NHL top 6 dman.

Good post. After Barker I have to think it might be Sauve then Corrado

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->