Waived: Canucks claim D Ryan Stanton from CHI

Var

Nov 10, 2007
Really hoping it's Weber that goes - for two reasons.

First is how defensively soft Weber was for the Canadiens during his time there. Have a Habs fan buddy that for a year or two was always ranting about how awful Weber was and how happy he was to see him leave. Not only is he a small defenseman but he's usually either getting beat or out of position a lot. Buddy would often say he'll get picked on by teams that notice him for what he is - a soft spot.

Second is I find that short term memories don't help you much. Preseason or not, Alberts has been a steadily improving depth defenseman for the past few years with last year being particularly good for him. Preseason's also preseason. People are adapting to new systems, new linemates, getting their legs again. Hard to read into it as much as some people have.

All in all, I'd much rather have Alberts as a 7th than Weber.

Timmer44

Mar 3, 2006
Van City

First is how defensively soft Weber was for the Canadiens during his time there. Have a Habs fan buddy that for a year or two was always ranting about how awful Weber was and how happy he was to see him leave. Not only is he a small defenseman but he's usually either getting beat or out of position a lot. Buddy would often say he'll get picked on by teams that notice him for what he is - a soft spot.

Second is I find that short term memories don't help you much. Preseason or not, Alberts has been a steadily improving depth defenseman for the past few years with last year being particularly good for him. Preseason's also preseason. People are adapting to new systems, new linemates, getting their legs again. Hard to read into it as much as some people have.

Also, not all defenseman play the same type of game. If an Edler, Garrison or Bieksa go down with an injury, you need to replace some of their offensive output with a guy like Weber. If one of the more shutdown guys goes down, it's an easier transition with a stay at home Stanton or Alberts.

Edit: Also, obviously you want to replace handedness if possible as well.

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
Alberts and Stanton seem like similar players. I think it's most likely we see him replace Alberts, especially given how terrible his preseason was.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Stanton mentions that he'll start with the Canucks as there is a rule that players who are claimed on waivers cannot be sent down to the AHL for 30 days.

Betamax*

Stanton mentions that he'll start with the Canucks as there is a rule that players who are claimed on waivers cannot be sent down to the AHL for 30 days.

Okay, thanks for clearing things up. That means unless the Canucks decide to keep 8 d-men or someone on the Canucks D roster has been injured, they will need to waive or try to trade either Alberts or Weber.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON

That's not really the rule. It's that the Blackhawks could claim him back if he went on waivers again (and, I believe, assign him to the AHL).

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
That's not really the rule. It's that the Blackhawks could claim him back if he went on waivers again (and, I believe, assign him to the AHL).

Gotcha. Well, either way he'll be with the Canucks for the next little while, which surely necessitates further roster moves today, does it not?

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006

I think the rule actually is... if a player picked up on waivers is waived before 30 days, the original team that waived him (Chi in this case), would get first dibs to claim him and could directly place him to their own farm team.

So 30 day wait is not a hard rule, just an asset management thing.

TO MY UNDERSTANDING... things may be different under this new CBA, but that was the way it used to be.
So I stand to be corrected.

Edit: I am a slow typer..

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
I think the rule actually is... if a player picked up on waivers is waived before 30 days, the original team that waived him (Chi in this case), would get first dibs to claim him and could directly place him to their own farm team.

TO MY UNDERSTANDING... things may be different under this new CBA, but that was the way it used to be.

Thanks for clearing it up. Even before this occured I was wondering what happens if VAN sends him (or actually anyone) down at once.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010

Alberts hasn't been steadily improving. He's consistently been up and down. First season the Canucks picked him up, he was terrible. Next season when he was brought back, he had a great season, at times making smart impact hits while maintaining steady defence. The following season he was terrible. Last year he had a comeback season of sorts, but still not as good as 2010-11 (though Hansen is probably the only player on the Canucks to have improved since that season). This preseason so far, it's back to bad Alberts.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Alberts hasn't been steadily improving. He's consistently been up and down. First season the Canucks picked him up, he was terrible. Next season when he was brought back, he had a great season, at times making smart impact hits while maintaining steady defence. The following season he was terrible. Last year he had a comeback season of sorts, but still not as good as 2010-11 (though Hansen is probably the only player on the Canucks to have improved since that season). This preseason so far, it's back to bad Alberts.

There's no grey area with you eh?

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Another example of the Canuck picking up a player who they saw a lot of in the AHL. Guy was force against them in the many Rockford-Chicago games. Good scrapper who plays with authority (at least at the AHL level). Nasty to play against. Would say he is comparable to Rome. Mobility not great but he plays solidly in his own end. Nothing world shaking here but good pick up.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Another example of the Canuck picking up a player who they saw a lot of in the AHL. Guy was force against them in the many Rockford-Chicago games. Good scrapper who plays with authority (at least at the AHL level). Nasty to play against. Would say he is comparable to Rome. Mobility not great but he plays solidly in his own end. Nothing world shaking here but good pick up.

Kind of sounds like a better Colten Teubert. Thoughts?

Also, what's with all the kids named "Colton" these days? Where did that come from?

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
does that make alberts expendable? or nucks keep 8 dman abd weber gets sent down?

gotta think they are going to try and pass a dman through waivers when they can. i think it is likely Alberts. If they try to pass Stanton then chicago will just take him back and put him in the AHL.

Oh_so_saad

Sep 18, 2012
Seattle
i dont think we will take him back, people like stanton buts its really a who cares type of move. We have younger better prospects to fill his role

Wetcoaster

Current CBA:

13.22 When a Club claims a Player on Regular or Unconditional Waivers, and, subsequently, in the same season it requests Waivers on the same Player and the original owning Club is the successful and only Club making a Waiver claim, then the original owning Club shall be entitled to Loan such Player to a club in another league within thirty days without further Waivers being asked; provided that such Player has not participated in ten or more NHL Games (cumulative) and remained on an NHL roster more than thirty days (cumulative) following such successful claim.​
http://cdn.agilitycms.com/nhlpacom/PDF/NHL_NHLPA_2013_CBA.pdf

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010

Actually short term memories matters a lot more when you're playing in a new system. Alberts, when we first got him, couldn't adjust to the system and it took him all off season to figure it out. That shows that he isn't very adaptive to change or as adaptive as some other players.

There's no doubt that JT and AV run completely different systems and Alberts doesn't seem to fit that system as well as Weber (at least during the off season). Albert isn't good with the puck at all and isn't all that quick. JT runs an aggressive system where being slow on your feet is a liability and he can't move the puck well = lose puck control or momentum. Unlike AV, JT is very high on momentum so just dumping the puck out of the zone isn't an "ideal" way of playing, you need to actually make the pass out of the zone, not just clear it and defend. Out of all our dmans Alberts is without a doubt the slowest and worst passer and if those are important skills for JT's system, he's the odd man out.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
the thing that concerns me about Alberts this year is he got into the pre-season a step slower and was chasing the play a lot.

That's not a good omen for a guy who only became effective for us after he improved his mobility problems. .

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
the thing that concerns me about Alberts this year is he got into the pre-season a step slower and was chasing the play a lot.

That's not a good omen for a guy who only became effective for us after he improved his mobility problems. .

Thats the concern and it sounds like Stanton is more mobile defensive dman. The question is rather or not he can handle the physical forwards from the Cali teams. Alberts could handle them but can't keep up with them.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
I'm not so sure Alberts would clear waivers. He's got 449 games of NHL experience. He had a terrible pre-season, but another team might be willing to give him a shot. If Alberts were in a similar position with another team, I suspect the Canucks would consider it too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad