Waived: Canucks claim D Ryan Stanton from CHI

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
good pickup, will add a Top-4 AHL defenseman to the Comets, plus we can call him up if we get into injury troubles. Mind you, I'd call up Corrado amd Alberts before Stanton.

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
Yep the Oilers claimed another goon. The canucks are intimidated! they will be shaking in their skates when Gazdic, McIntyre and Brown come over the boards for the Oilers. Oh wiat a minute, that's shaking with excitement at the chance to light the Oilers up for 45 seconds.
Zack Kassian's errant stick is quaking in its boots right now.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
good pickup, will add a Top-4 AHL defenseman to the Comets, plus we can call him up if we get into injury troubles. Mind you, I'd call up Corrado amd Alberts before Stanton.

I think he will be with the NHL club for the foreseeable future. Otherwise, they risk losing him. Probably a #7 here.

Wetcoaster

Contract status per Jim Jamieson ‏@JamiesonCanucks 1h
Correction on Stanton's deal: in first year of 2-year deal, a two-way at 100k and 550k.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Assuming Alberts is waived, Vancouver's balance of left shots vs right shots is actually more balanced than it's been in a while. Garrison provides additional flexibility.

DennisReynolds

the implication
Dec 11, 2011
And Corrado can play on the left side I believe. I'm not sure how effective he is there though.

Now how many players do we have on the roster now, 26?

Soth

Feb 18, 2010
Anything that moves Alberts down the depth chart is a good thing.

Souds like we are basically replacing alberts with a new alberts except the new alberts is scrappy and sticks up for teammates. Nice little upgrade imo.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Alberts will be on waivers before the day is out. As he should be. Horrible player.

Stanton has been a quality AHL player and on the fringes of making Chicago. Hopefully he does as well as Aaron Rome did here when claimed in a similar situation.

Will be an upgrade on Alberts almost by default.

Aaron Rome is the guy that came to mind for me as well. Hopefully Stanton can bring a similarly solid game.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
@News1130Sports: Stanton says he's a defensive minded defenseman who takes care of his own end first and loves to block shots.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
@News1130Sports: Stanton says he's a defensive minded defenseman who takes care of his own end first and loves to block shots.

"My coach is Tortorella? UM, SHOT BLOCKING, I LOVE IT!" Stanton replied nervously.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Another useless piece by the continually declining Canucks Army:

This is a move that gives the team "toughness" or whatever, but I have a hard time thinking that he's better than any of the seven defencemen the Canucks currently have on the roster. Stanton was undrafted after five seasons in Moose Jaw and doesn't boast noteworthy offensive numbers in Rockford.

http://canucksarmy.com/2013/9/30/canucks-claim-d-ryan-stanton-off-waivers

What useful analysis by a guy who has never seen him play and whose extent of scouting is basically looking up some stats on BehindTheNet.

Taelin

Resident Hipster
Jan 17, 2012
Vancouver
They haven't been the same since Drance left.

I think they made another Blomstrand jab yesterday or a few days ago.

Betamax*

Torts has stated that he plans to carry only 7 dmen on the active roster, so either the Canucks try to send him, Alberts or Weber down. If Alberts is sent down, then they consider this Stanton a potential upgrade over Alberts.

crazyforhockey

Jul 31, 2007
They need depth in Utica...esp if they ever end up sending up Corrado........even if its for the last 20 reg season games + playoffs

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
I'm guessing they waive Alberts soon. The hope will be that he clears, as we can then call him up if injuries get carried away.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
DVD_cover_of_the_movie_Sour_Grapes.jpg

Seriously though, how bad does this movie look?

Hardly, it's no loss for the Hawks, so what would the sour grapes be about?

Betamax*

I suspect Gillis is spending his Monday trying to get a late draft pick for Alberts, before they have to waive him later today.

Or maybe, he'll just hope if they do put him on waivers, he clears so ... he they have an NHL experienced dman available on recall if needed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad