Waived: Canucks claim D Ryan Stanton from CHI

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Stanton was a constantly **** disturber when I was watching the Wolves vs the Ice Hogs last season. Drove me nuts.

He can play and I can see him replacing Alberts.

He very much is a **** disturber but also stands up for his teammates regularly. I would probably compare him to Bieksa in that regard.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
If Alberts gets waived, I hope they do it knowing that someone will pick him up. Free up a contract slot.
At worst, it couldn't hurt having a veteran in Utica like Alberts.

Kind of a "meh move". I personally would've preferred a guy who at least was a 3rd pairing guy at the NHL level vs a guy who hasn't even had a cup of coffee at the NHL level (though I see he ain't all that old...)

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Cool. **** has gone undisturbed for far too long. I wonder if the people complaining about this are also the people complaining that Alberts made the team?

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Kind of a "meh move". I personally would've preferred a guy who at least was a 3rd pairing guy at the NHL level vs a guy who hasn't even had a cup of coffee at the NHL level.

Asking a lot when a guy like Ryan Whitney — who can barely skate — is getting signed. Doesn't seem like there's a lot out there.

Zarpan

Apr 27, 2010
Vancouver
Was named best defenseman at Rockford for the past two years. Might have a future as a bottom pairing defenseman in the NHL, but hasn't been able to crack Chicago's lineup before.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Asking a lot when a guy like Ryan Whitney — who can barely skate — is getting signed.
Well that's Tallon. He can take chances like that because really....where has that team really gone since he's got there?

"Stole" this from the main boards:

Tallon's tenure in Florida thus far:

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Hawks fans seem to be slightly disappointed at the claim and see Stanton as good depth. Hopefully he'll serve as insurance in case Alberts goes full AHLberts

Dissonance

Feb 27, 2002
Cabbage Patch
Visit site
Not a bad pickup. Press reports seem to indicate he was Chicago's #7 defenseman during their Cup run last year. He ended up not playing at all because the top-six all stayed healthy, but it suggests that Quenneville felt comfortable putting him in playoff games if it came to that.

It'd be nice if Stanton replaced Alberts, but who knows.

(It also would've been nice if we'd signed Mike Kostka during the offseason--the $600,000 player who ended up edging Stanton out as the Hawks' seventh defensemen.)

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Not a bad pickup. Press reports seem to indicate he was Chicago's #7 defenseman during their Cup run last year. He ended up not playing at all because the top-six all stayed healthy, but it suggests that Quenneville felt comfortable putting him in playoff games if it came to that.

It'd be nice if Stanton replaced Alberts, but who knows.

(It also would've been nice if we'd signed Mike Kostka during the offseason--the $600,000 player who ended up edging Stanton out as the Hawks' seventh defensemen.)

Kotska was terrible with the Leafs.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Words cannot even describe how bad he was in the playoffs. Leaf fans were going mad because Carlyle refused to see it. He was their Rome.
Rome is a decent, low-event player with a good first pass.

Carlyle with Kostka was just dumbness.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Well, he beat out Stanton for the roster spot in Chicago, so take that fwiw.

Kostka is a right hander and Stanton is a left. I don't think it's shook out quite the way you think it has.

Your collection of left hand shot defensemen is Keith, Hjalmerson, Oduya, Leddy. Even with some of those guys playing the right side, it's easy why Stanton was the odd man out.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Wasn't yesterday the last day to send someone to the AHL? So it means Shink going down or JS on IR? Either way I think Alberts and Weber are both safe at this point.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Kostka is a right hander and Stanton is a left. I don't think it's shook out quite the way you think it has.

Your collection of left hand shot defensemen is Keith, Hjalmerson, Oduya, Leddy. Even with some of those guys playing the right side, it's easy why Stanton was the odd man out.

It was easy to see by the play of each player. Kostka was clearly better than Stanton in the pre-season.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Wasn't yesterday the last day to send someone to the AHL? So it means Shink going down or JS on IR? Either way I think Alberts and Weber are both safe at this point.

I believe there's some sort of an exception if you claim a player. Not sure how exactly it works.

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
He very much is a **** disturber but also stands up for his teammates regularly. I would probably compare him to Bieksa in that regard.

Yeah, I don't see that mean streak, stick up for your team mates fight in any of our D other than Bieksa. Ironic that Bieksa actually first got noticed beating a team mate up. :yo:

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
He struggled playing 22 minutes a night with Toronto, sure. But he seems capable of being a decent #6 or #7 guy—which is all that Chicago's paying him for.

Hawks fans indicate that Stanton and Kostka are slightly different players but Stanton is more of a stay-at-home type and doesn't fit their system as well as Kostka.... but that Stanton might be the better d-man.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad