Recalled/Assigned: Canucks called up Ashton Sautner

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
He played better than expected last year. He can be a reliable partner on a pairing with a more experienced defenseman.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
So Brisebois struck out as Gudbranson's partner?

The search continues. But only in house. And without at admitting Gudbranson might have been the problem with previous pairings. But we can't say that since he fought Getzlaf for injuring Virtanen and Tanev. But it is him.

Over under on how many games we get out of Sautner? I'm hoping 5 plus.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
So Brisebois struck out as Gudbranson's partner?

The search continues. But only in house. And without at admitting Gudbranson might have been the problem with previous pairings. But we can't say that since he fought Getzlaf for injuring Virtanen and Tanev. But it is him.

Over under on how many games we get out of Sautner? I'm hoping 5 plus.

I don't Brisbois struck out . I think were just trying to get a look at alot of our AHL D before the trade deadline.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
lol ok time to shuffle the deck chairs on the Titanic.

In all seriousness. Sautner played with some hardness last time he was here and i liked it. Brisebois is such a wimp and a deer in the headlights at this stage....like his wheels but he's gotta take some steps real soon....better to stay in Utica

Reactions: timw33

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
Thought Sautner was awful his first year or two in the organization but was impressed with his progress last training camp. Looked serviceable.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Sautner was out for two months with a busted face; only returned to action 12 days ago. That's why Brisebois was the callup in the first place.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
By playing them 7 and 9 minutes a game,.

And practicing with them on the daily.

Complain all you want but Van is still trying to win games. And putting in a fresh rookie on the back end for more than 10 min a game might not be a good recipe.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I wonder if McEneny will get an opportunity later as well. Sautner does bring more physicality. I thought I read somewhere in the Comets thread that he was wearing a full cage?

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Every prospect they bring up whether it be Sautner, Brisebois, Juolevi, Chatfield are going to have a tough time partnered with either Pouliot or Gudbranson. Definitely not a good way to ease in our rookies and have them gain confidence by playing them with arguably the 2 worst Dmen in the league. Gudbranson made Tanev look like an amateur, poor guy was practically playing short handed on his off side trying to compensate for that pylon before getting injured. Get Pouliot & Gudbranson the F*** off this team. The Golden Knights gave up a 1st, 2nd & 3rd round pick to get Tatar, but he wasn’t gelling with the team and he sat out for the playoffs and Vegas went to the cup final, my point is Management shouldn’t be afraid of admitting mistakes, waive Pouliot & bury Gudbranson for the betterment of the team if no trades are available; it’s addition by substraction.

Last edited:

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
My first impression of him was that YoungStars tournament where he was just terrible but he's actually established himself as a decent pro player.

Wasn't bad by any means last year and we should be giving random young players like this chances instead of continuing to roll with established dog shit like Gudbranson.

Reactions: Hit the post

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
Sautner is still wearing a fishbowl like this or he should have been the first call up. He has been the Comets most reliable defenseman.
bauer_concept_2_mask.png

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
He's had a tough season this year, injury-wise, but he shown pretty good progression since we signed him. Probably a better d-man than Guddy or Poolio... if he's given a chance.

Nick1219

Mar 15, 2012
I thought he should of made the team out of camp. He was exceptional at the end of last year and looked great in preseason action. Not a flashy guy at all, but he consistently made the right plays in his own end. Really really liked his game.

Looking to forward to seeing how he progressed, if at all, considering his injuries this season.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
He's been playing his best hockey these past few games. The full cage is thanks to a vicious elbow from the notorious Comet Hunter Eric Tangradi in the same game he also injured Jonathan Dahlen.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Do people think Sautner is a 3rd pairing defenceman? Right now we Edler and Hutton as the first 4 which is what I expect next season. I like his game, he's physical and plays strong defensively. He's a much better skater than MDZ and Gudbranson. I'm not sure if he has much to give offensively, but I'm willing to let him stick it out for a full season in the NHL next year to see what he has.

We would still have to sign veteran NHL defencemen to maintain depth especially with Hughes coming in, but I would rather send the veterans down to Utica to help out the prospects.

Edit: I guess you could throw Hughes as the 3rd pairing LD to start next season. Sautner as a #7 would be good with me.

Last edited:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Do people think Sautner is a 3rd pairing defenceman? Right now we Edler and Hutton as the first 4 which is what I expect next season. I like his game, he's physical and plays strong defensively. He's a much better skater than MDZ and Gudbranson. I'm not sure if he has much to give offensively, but I'm willing to let him stick it out for a full season in the NHL next year to see what he has.

We would still have to sign veteran NHL defencemen to maintain depth especially with Hughes coming in, but I would rather send the veterans down to Utica to help out the prospects.

Edit: I guess you could throw Hughes as the 3rd pairing LD to start next season. Sautner as a #7 would be good with me.

He’s an adequate #6-7 guy. Nothing special but this is the sort of guy you should be carrying in a depth role at a minimum salary to create more flexibility higher up the roster.

Should be on the team next year. But I expect Benning if he’s still here will sign some $2 million donkey to fill that role.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad