Canucks Best UFA Signing

ontheDB

Sep 4, 2008
With another UFA season in full swing (and likely dying down), let's do another review of what you think the Canucks best UFA signing ever has been.

IMHO,

1. Ryan Miller
2. Mats Sundin
3. Mark Messier

Obviously the last two were less good signings but rather just prominent ones.
They had less positive impact in their play but rather how much attention and $$$ it brought the franchise (who still has a Messier or Sundin jersey?)

Any UFAs I'm obviously overlooking ? My long-term memory seems to have failed me.

John Bender*

With another UFA season in full swing (and likely dying down), let's do another review of what you think the Canucks best UFA signing ever has been.

IMHO,

1. Ryan Miller
2. Mats Sundin
3. Mark Messier

Obviously the last two were less good signings but rather just prominent ones.
They had less positive impact in their play but rather how much attention and $$$ it brought the franchise (who still has a Messier or Sundin jersey?)

Any UFAs I'm obviously overlooking ? My long-term memory seems to have failed me.

Why bother listing messier? That's like listing bill laforge as one of three suggestions for top Canuck coach of all time.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
Kinda like "What's your favorite type of weather?"

1) Rain
2) Sleet with freezing temperatures
3) Fire tornadoes

There's literally half a dozen FA signings that have been better than all of the above.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary

1) Rain
3) Fire tornadoes

There's literally half a dozen FA signings that have been better than all of the above.

:laugh: Awesome.

You know what's really painful is less than a year ago, we'd probably be talking about Garrison as being somewhere on such a list.

MrShift4

GRRRR.......Babe
Aug 17, 2011
Calgary
I don't think you guys are understanding the OPs question (or maybe I am not seeing it properly as he has Miller at number 1). But I see it as him asking what was the biggest name we landed in the relative free agent year, not how they worked out.

whuttheeperson

Apr 13, 2010
I don't think you guys are understanding the OPs question (or maybe I am not seeing he has Miller at number 1). But I see it as him asking what was the biggest name we landed in the relative free agent year, not how they worked out.

I don't think that's our fault, it's a terribly worded post.

As far as best UFA signing? In the last 20 years you'd have to think Hamhuis is up there. We would have won the cup if he didn't get injured throwing one of the most epic hip checks of all time.

ontheDB

Sep 4, 2008
yet they remain unnamed.

A UFA signing is more than just about stats and on-ice performance.
Veterans offer lockerroom leadership and literally tutoring the younger players.

The Messier signing (while probably the worst UFA signing in most respects), but Vancouver on the map. Especially after the failed Gretzky signing.

1) Rain
3) Fire tornadoes

MrShift4

GRRRR.......Babe
Aug 17, 2011
Calgary
I don't think that's our fault, it's a terribly worded post.

As far as best UFA signing? In the last 20 years you'd have to think Hamhuis is up there. We would have won the cup if he didn't get injured throwing one of the most epic hip checks of all time.

I agree. He has some work to do. Dear OP: try the edit function. :D

Hamhuis was still one of the biggest names that year too. Can't remember who else was in that year though.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
guys, i know we all hate messier but you weren't in the locker room. maybe he was pivotal behind the scenes. let's give credit where credit is due and consider that maybe:

messier groomed naslund into the chokey disappointment and poor leader he became. under messier's leadership bertuzzi really found himself. i don't think he consistently sabotages the team and his own career without those valuable locker room lessons from watching the moose.

ontheDB

Sep 4, 2008
I agree. He has some work to do. Dear OP: try the edit function. :D

Hamhuis was still one of the biggest names that year too. Can't remember who else was in that year though.
Fair point.

I left it at "best signing" to leave it up to people's interpretations, though I should not have.
A very defined question is too easy to answer...and has been answered multiple times in the past.

Hamhuis was a quality signing as he's been a solid defensive d-men. But I don't think he was any more integral than the top players on those teams.
They could've gotten another D-men like Paul Martin or just kept Willie Mitchell

ontheDB

Sep 4, 2008
I agree Messier was a huge disappointment on the ice and was generally bad as a teammate and captain.

But it is without a doubt the most prominent Canuck signing. This doesn't necessary translate to a good signing, but it does give the franchise some respect even though it turned out disastrous for the most part.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
They could've gotten another D-men like Paul Martin or just kept Willie Mitchell

Where the team is NOW - yeah sure that could've been an option. But back then, there's no way the Canucks could've afforded to wait around to see when Mitchell would get better.

I'll give honorable mention to Mats Sundin. Looked absolutely horrible initially but he easily proved his worth when it counted - the playoffs (that had the effect he had on Kesler).

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
If the question is "who is the biggest named UFA we have signed", then yes, Mark Messier tops the list quite easily. Mats Sundin is a logical second choice.

The best free agent signings are probably more recent. Willie Mitchell and Dan Hamhuis were two excellent ones.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00