Canucks Analytics

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I had been missing the "With or Without You" tool that stats.hockeyanalysis used to provide, so I finally took the time to build one myself.

Got a first prototype up and running now, so if anyone wants to try it out I'd appreciate it. URL is NHL Tools - With or Without You .

Simply select the team in the top-left, load the players, then select the two players to compare and it will show you their on-ice stats when together and when apart.

It is very bare-bones as I just got it up and running today, but the data should be accurate so if you want to try it out I could use some testing/feedback.

IF you can think of any stuff to add, whether it's other stats or it's other tools please let me know as well.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
I had been missing the "With or Without You" tool that stats.hockeyanalysis used to provide, so I finally took the time to build one myself.

Got a first prototype up and running now, so if anyone wants to try it out I'd appreciate it. URL is NHL Tools - With or Without You .

Simply select the team in the top-left, load the players, then select the two players to compare and it will show you their on-ice stats when together and when apart.

It is very bare-bones as I just got it up and running today, but the data should be accurate so if you want to try it out I could use some testing/feedback.

IF you can think of any stuff to add, whether it's other stats or it's other tools please let me know as well.
Said it on Twitter gonna say it again here, I really needed this.

May 31, 2006

Link is broken for me.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

Interesting.
Screenshot_20190201_091410.jpg
Screenshot_20190201_091543.jpg

Reactions: Bertuzzzi44

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
upload_2019-2-1_0-9-52.png

upload_2019-2-1_0-13-22.png

i needed more proof that pettersson was good, thank you.

upload_2019-2-1_0-14-1.png

this one originally took me by surprise but then i realized that he was on the leafs this season. is there any way we can extract his toronto stats out of this?

Last edited:

Duodenum

Jul 7, 2008
East Vancouver
You can put in all of our penalty killing forwards into that tool and compare them to Gudbranson and every single one of them does better when he's not on the ice (situation: 4v5 penalty kill).

It's crazy, he has such a huge detrimental effect on almost every player on the team.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton

This rules. Thank you.

Edit: One thing I'm noticing is that the "without ____" OZ% number is always 100%? Am I misunderstanding that number (offensive zone start percentage?) or is that off?

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Awesome work, @Melvin... were WOWY stats really only on one site? The Hutton/Gudbranson thing has been cited throughout the season, so what has been the source?

Good question. If it exists publicly somewhere else I'd like to know, because then I can compare the data. Some people may have some proprietary data and they were just sharing pieces of it. Not sure.

Re: The OZ% for without you. That's a bug.
Re: Leivo, yes good point. I should add a filter to keep it to the selected team.

Thanks guys! Really appreciate the help with testing.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
The Gudbranson thing is why I don't really buy he can be an effective #6 guy. In order for him not to completly kill that pairing you need to pair him with someone who is much better than a #5/6. If you have to pair your #6 with a 1-3 type guy to make a passable pairing you need a different #6.

And I'll be honest, the thing that Benning can do to not only help the teams chances at th eplayoffs this year but also improve them moving forward is to get rid of both Gudbranson and Pouliot. Improve that third pairing and it will go a long way to improving the team now and in the future.

Last edited:

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
That too is better than I expected.

It's interesting that when Green puts Leivo with Pettersson he gives them a shit-ton of offensive zone faceoffs, which he doesn't really do for those players when they are playing with others.

But yeah, Leivo's on ice results have been good regardless.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Literally everyone is worse with Gudbranson on the ice and the only players who have remotely comparable stats with and without Gudbranson are Leivo and Granlund.

Even guys like f***ing Tim Schaller and Tyler Motte have a positive goal differential when away from Gudbranson. I don't get how it's even possible to defend him as a player.

HankNDank

Oct 25, 2013
Medicine Hat
Literally everyone is worse with Gudbranson on the ice and the only players who have remotely comparable stats with and without Gudbranson are Leivo and Granlund.

Even guys like ****ing Tim Schaller and Tyler Motte have a positive goal differential when away from Gudbranson. I don't get how it's even possible to defend him as a player.
Same thing with Sutter it seems, haven't found anyone that plays better with him than without.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

Even guys like ****ing Tim Schaller and Tyler Motte have a positive goal differential when away from Gudbranson. I don't get how it's even possible to defend him as a player.

Im so happy that even the most vehement Gudbranson defenders have finally gone silent.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I added another page today for looking at penalty data. This is another thing that I haven't found too easily. So now you can see a breakdown of penalties taken and drawn. I included a metric that subtracts minutes taken from minutes drawn to give each player a delta in terms of their penalty power.

For example, Barkov leads the league as he has only taken a single minor penalty all year but has drawn 26(!) minors, so he is +52 in minutes. Pettersson is 4th in the NHL with 3 minors taken, 20 drawn.

Roussel is in the very bottom of the league at -60, but that is because of his 5 misconducts. I have another column that only tracks drawn-taken for minors and the worst is Joel Edmundson.

Have a look and again, let me know if you see any mistakes or have any ideas of other stuff to add: NHL Tools - Penalty Data.

Reactions: Hindustan Smyl

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018

This is awesome Melvin, thanks for sharing!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->