Post-Game Talk: Canucks 4, Wild 1: Canucks win De Six-Two-Two (their best start in eight years)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Outside99*

Good effort against a team that is lot better on paper than on ice (though that Brodin is something else).

Hamhuis was outstanding. Also, the change to put him with Edler has made a big difference to Edler's game. Although Garrison was v. good defensively, his outlet passing wasn't.

great bounce back game from Weise and good on him for taking on a bona fide goon like Konopka not once but twice.

Wild played the Sedins and Burrows hard - still got on the scoreboard.

Line makeup was the best we've had all year. Raymond - Schroeder - Hansen looked really good out there. best effort by Kassian not with the Sedins.

I didn't think it was possible but our goaltending and defensive play might be even better than last year.

There needs to be a Bieksa appreciation thread - he has been the team's de facto leader so far this season.

Hal 9000*

Sorry to be the skunk at the garden party, but the Wild suck. The Canucks played ok, but the Wild couldn't get out their own way - just brutal hockey from them.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
Also - Weise has improved quite considerably in the fisticuffs department. That's three solid showings thus far this year.

He's been much better and looks much more confident.

I'm really excited to see what this team looks like with Kesler back at full strength. A lot to like with this team imo. I'm a big Schroeder fan, I really like watching him play and find myself really hoping that he does well. And he has. Made a nice play to use his speed and attack wide on a defender tonight. He's great at making a play in the neutral zone that allows us to keep possession and that's giving his line some opportunities off the rush. Can't say enough about how impressed I am.

Kassian is learning quite well how to be consistent. He hasn't scored for a couple games but he's still working hard, still playing well defensively, still getting involved physically and still making nice plays. I really thought he was going to end up fighting Rupp tonight... Rupp played, right?

2nd line RW and 3rd line centre were big question marks coming into the season. I love that these guys have stepped up.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
This year was suppose to be different. We had the next dynasty and the Wild's two new additions challenging us for the division!

The wild are still 2 years away and the Oilers are better, not good but better and still have a few injury issues. Avs and Flames (games in hand) are disappointing, but the season is early and even they are close to 8th, then again the season is early and the tanking has yet to hit full swing.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Sorry to be the skunk at the garden party, but the Wild suck. The Canucks played ok, but the Wild couldn't get out their own way - just brutal hockey from them.

Still it's two points. Haven't forgotten when the Canucks couldn't even get three points out of 4 games vs the worst team in the league (to make the playoffs) a number of years ago.

Hal 9000*

There was a shift where our 4th line had the Wild hemmed in and were playing like it was a PP. Shameful!

The Wild look like an expansion team that somehow snagged a couple decent players.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010

Minnesota outplayed us in the second period as they were finally generating pressure, and as we took some stupid penalties. I feel you're really just trying to swing this as an easy win for Schneider just because you like Luongo better. :shakehead

Hal 9000*

You'd be singing an entirely different tune if Luongo had been in net for the win.

Actually no, Schneider was fine. It's this lovefest that's bothering me. The Canucks were fine, but WoW! The wild had a couple moments, but were brutal at every facet of the game.

Hearing people talk about the Canucks as a power house based on this game is just wrong.

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
Actually no, Schneider was fine. It's this lovefest that's bothering me. The Canucks were fine, but WoW! The wild had a couple moments, but were brutal at every facet of the game.

Hearing people talk about the Canucks as a power house based on this game is just wrong.

I agree. The Wild's play this game was as poor as any the canucks have faced this year.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley

The Canucks have been a great team for a while now... you didn't noticed?

Scottrockztheworld*

The stat men in Minnesota seem to be major homers, what was the apparent hit totals that John mentioned? 20-9? No assist for Schroeder.....

Its no wonder Clutterbuck has the most hits every year.

Also I hate M. Koivu, wish we had Ohlund around for another swing:sarcasm:

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Can't believe I'm saying this but does anyone else think that Mason Raymond is a better player if he doesn't play with Kesler?

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland

being 6-2-2 as a generally slow starting team without Kesler and Booth makes me think that we are one of the stronger teams out there

Britton

Nov 28, 2008
It's more like Mason Raymond is a much better player when he's not recovering from a broken back and is completely healthy.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Also I think this is one of those years where most of us are not ranting about the fourth line.

Steve Bennett*

Wild looked flatter than the prairies tonight. Is that how they've been all season? If the answer is yes, then wow, I didn't think the division title would be so easy again this year. They had some pressure in the second period but it was obviously spotty, inconsistent, and nothing over the top.

Regarding our Canucks, they played a good solid road game.

Excellent games from Tanev, Ballard, Hansen, Raymond, Weise, and what I would say was one of the better games from the Sedins which was good to see. But that Weise, smart player, I would like to keep a hold on this guy for a while, he knows his role well, and hasn't had any puck luck since he came back from Dutchland but I like his play. Hansen and Raymond made the Wild dmen look like pylons out there. Tanev and Ballard made so many good plays throughout the game. Like wtf they looked like first pairing dmen. Am I overrating their play from tonight?

Other good games from the other d, although I thought Bieksa had a few brain farts. Garrison was pretty strong throughout. Hamhuis and Edler did the job, nothing too flashy.

I thought this was Kassians' poorest showing of the year - but he still had a few good opportunities and made some good passes that surprised me. Higgins, Schroeder, Lapierre and Volpatti knew their roles and were sufficient. Burrows played well defensively but offensively I found him to be a tad inconsistent.

Schneider really had no problem tonight and was barely tested but his positioning was solid and showed few holes for the inept Wild offence.

Anyway the team is 6-2-2 which is great but 4-0-1 against a terrible NW division. Doesn't take anything away from the team as they have been getting stronger as they get their legs back as the season progresses. I wouldn't consider it a test game but the two road points are important and now its time to Thrash the Atlanta Flames...

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Honestly, that was the worst passing I've seen from an NHL team in a LONG LONG time.

It wasn't even like they were misguided blind hoper passes- I saw at least 4-5 occassions where one of their players would look eye-to-eye at one of his teammates without any pressure or Canuck players around and still dish it 3 feet wide.

What were they on?

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
It's more like Mason Raymond is a much better player when he's not recovering from a broken back and is completely healthy.
Yeah, fans need to get their heads checked if they think factors besides his injury can be taken into account when comparing this year's Raymond and last year's

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
LOL at some of the people that thought that was Schroeder's gf (because she looks so young). :biglaugh:

I remember a picture was posted of schroeder a few years back in college, and his lady friend at the time (dunno if she still is) was really pretty. If we're not allowed to bring their person lives up, I apologize. She was a dime piece though.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I think a third presidents trophy isn't too unrealistic considering we play the majority of our games against a very weak NW division. We can run the table against nw opponents and do well against wc teams it could happen.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
I think a third presidents trophy isn't too unrealistic considering we play the majority of our games against a very weak NW division. We can run the table against nw opponents and do well against wc teams it could happen.

Have you not read the latest main board thread? The Blackhawks aren't going to lose in regulation this season. :sarcasm: Oh, if we trade Luongo soon though, we won't win a Prez. trophy. No way we win it without our two elite goaltenders.

Can't wait until we tear them apart in the playoffs. We will hit that team into the ground. EVen during the 2010-2011 playoffs our team hit everything that moved. I think it ended up tiring them out a bit, but we even outhit the Bruins (they just outhacked us after the whistle which adds up over time and got away with it. if people dont think it hurts, just look at bolland spazz out after hansen's stick barely touched him). It's too bad our team wasn't able to stay healthy. Man, can we hit though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad