GDT: Canucks 4, Sabres 2: Give Derek Dorsett the 32,317 dollars

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
You really have to ask that question?

It's just so funny to see the so called "fans" in here now that the Canucks have won.
I think you'll find that a common theme across all 31 team subforums on this website.

Fans tend to cluster on their teams subforum and they tend to be happiest after wins, whether they suck or not I find.

Especially this early in the season, before bitter reality has bitten like the autumn frost.

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
I think you'll find that a common theme across all 31 team subforums on this website.

Fans tend to cluster on their teams subforum and they tend to be happiest after wins, whether they suck or not I find.

Especially this early in the season, before bitter reality has bitten like the autumn frost.
All teams "fans" crap on their team and are really unhappy because they won?

Must be something strange in the air over there in North America.

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria

Very poetic, refreshing on a hockey forum.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
- Sedins scored a goal (that probably shouldn't have counted) and were better than against Boston although still probably the weakest line. Glad the goal stood just to see Virtanen get rewarded for a good play. His speed might be the best option for that line right now.

interesting. 2 refs and 2 linesman looked at for about 4 hours and decided it was a good goal. ( I was surprised, because I can't remember the last time one of these went the Canucks way).

But the analysis was clear; Virtanen had enough control that he was looking for the play rather than trying to find the puck. I have a referee's card, I have to admit this is one area that I am not up to date on. But from what I have learned tonight, it was a good goal.

Which is good, this is the standard they should go on, more goals .... hockey is a more interesting game.

Edo

The Mightiest Club
Jun 7, 2003
vancouver
wowhockey.com
interesting. 2 refs and 2 linesman looked at for about 4 hours and decided it was a good goal. ( I was surprised, because I can't remember the last time one of these went the Canucks way).

But the analysis was clear; Virtanen had enough control that he was looking for the play rather than trying to find the puck. I have a referee's card, I have to admit this is one area that I am not up to date on. But from what I have learned tonight, it was a good goal.

Which is good, this is the standard they should go on, more goals .... hockey is a more interesting game.
Offside in every other sport is pretty clear and as black/white as can be. Not sure how the NHL gets it wrong as often as they do during play, and after a review. It's a pretty big joke.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
How bad is Buffalo. Made us look like very decent team.

Good

Dorsett - not much else you can ask from this player. Total bull dog who is using his good wheels and positioning to be effective. A player that is well suited to the pressure game that Green wants

Tanev - - always plays the hard minutes and always plays well. Really underappreciated player league wide.

Stecher - thought he was very good. Broke up play after play. Joined the rush well even though it didn't end up amounting to much and battled the puck out of tight spots all game

Horvat line - best game this season for Baertschi (but he has to start putting the puck in the net), Boeser seemed to tire in the third (and that is happening a bit) but was very good in first and second. Horvat bull like throughout

Granlund - strong in many aspects of the game. Got to the net and created trouble, good on the pk and made plays all game. He is a nifty player who makes quick little plays in traffic that facilitate others.

Sutter - no doubt Sutter is very good skater. Not going to play make but uses his speed to force the other team into mistakes. Did a god job in this game. Another guy that fits the Green system

Others

Markstrom - got to hope he quits with the usual one weak goal bit but overall was fine.

Pouliot - made mistakes and was, at times, little sluggish in skating and moving the puck out of trouble but did make some good reads to pick off passes and work in his end was generally ok. Can see he has some smarts but needs more speed to take advantage of that.

Burmistrov line worked hard but was the weakest of the lines. Burmistrov was remains a project and Vanek shows that you sometimes do not have to skate well to play in the NHL. Vanek really has to work hard to stay in the play. Gagner hustles around but is poor along boards and wins practically no puck battles. Gagner has no business being on the PP

Sedins - are playing better. If they can raise games to somewhat near what they use to be then this team becomes near decent

Hutton - getting big minutes and is playing better and better. Showing the ability to skate puck quick through the neutral zone and make the good pass coming out of his zone. Still has problems, at times, reading the rush and taking people off the rush as he did on the second goal against. Can see Green is pushing him to get up into the play and shorten the gap b/w him and the forwards rather than the long passes out of his zone. One player that would really have trouble playing the system Green is trying to use would have been Bieksa

Virtanen - step forward in this game. Mostly looked like he knew what he was doing. Often Virtanen seems caught up in trying to figure out what to do next rather than just playing. One thing you see with with Virtanen at times is a balance issue (see that in a lot of younger players as they try to get up to NHL speed) . Tends to swing off balance at times. As he gets more experience and skating continues to improve this should not be a factor and this will improve Virtanen's game.

Have to admit that the Canuck defense looked more mobile without Gudbranson.

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
Missed half the 2nd, but that was a fun game. outside of the 2nd? Buff goal I thought Hutton was fantastic. Not much stood out because I was really thirsty for this one ;). Felt like it was gonna be a beating after going down so fast. Was nice to see the team playing w a lead and not hanging on for dear life.

thepoeticgoblin

Dec 16, 2011
Sweden
Overall, an entertaining game and you wouldn’t have guessed that we were on the backend of a b2b (where we played with 5D for 50 odd minutes). However, the shot counter in Buffalo is ridiculously biased lol. I can’t prove it of course but still...

Dorsett - what a redemption story. He should be one of the first names on the team sheet if he keeps this up.

Virtanen with the Sedins! How we have waited for this day and he sort of delivered. Great play for the GWG, and I say let’s keep him there. He can become their (much larger) Burrows-lite with time.

Boeser - is good. Real good. Baertschi and Horvat? Not so much (yet).

Biega - did anyone miss Guddy? Didn’t think so.

Pouliot - he’s probably not that good. But he makes hockey look good, ya’know? He makes nice little flip passes and skates very well.

Granlund - really, really like his game. We won the trade by a landslide and I’d honestly prioritize him over Sven when it comes to resigning-time. Does a lot of little things well, and can be used in many different roles.

Marky - no chance on the first one. Should have had the 2nd. But if you allow 2 or less, you are doing a good job. Came up huge in the 3rd when we needed him. Should start next game as well. Was also blatantly (?) robbed of a couple of saves by the shot counter :sarcasm:.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Biega looked pretty good.

Markstrom possibly building confidence, this will be key if Canucks want wins.

Green learning to wield the roster. This is bedrock! Canucks don't have to be a crappy team, all the elements are there for a run at the playoffs if a few things go right.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
This was part of the problem i had with Markstrom the last 2 yrs and why i had a Miller-is-the-#1 preference.

Too leaky, and gave up (what i felt) were too many backbreaking goals despite good looking numbers.

Was not as comfortable watching a game with Markstrom in net as I was Miller.
Many people didnt fathom what i meant and kept throwing numbers at me. well.. those people know now.
Wish he would spread out the untimely and/or soft goals out a bit more like the last couple yrs...or..
Hopefully it means he's getting them all out of the way early.

Reactions: Nomobo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad