Post-Game Talk: Canucks 4, Avalanche 1: Slowest GDT of the season

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
I'm preeetty sure we've gone through the whole "score a goal, get godmode from Schneider/Luongo, sit on lead" strategy back in 2011-12 and it wasn't exactly sustainable by the time the playoffs came.

Nov 1, 2011
No one is happy unless we're cup favorites. Just how it is.

I think everyone is happy that we won.

Some people just realize that we shouldn't get too high over beating the likes of CBJ and COL or by winning only because our goalie is hot.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
How does Alberts still have a job? It's like the puck is a grenade every time he gets it.

Didn't you hear valk? He was yelling post game coach v needs to give him moreeeee ice time.

And ballard is not good enough to be on the canucks according to him.

Potatoe1

Oct 5, 2004
Schroeder lost more puck battles tonight than Lapierre has lost all season.

Schroeder lost puck battles but so did Pinner and he played over 15 min.

There was even a point where he had time for a clear up the boards but braced early for a hit and turned it over. Not taking a hit to make the play is basically death nail for a guy with such a fringe career.

He wasn't alone in his suckage though. Bieksa and Edler looked like they had the Roxy flue and Alberts was his normal sucky self.

Lucky for that trio Jason Garrison is playing like a norris trophy contender right now and somehow manages to counterbalance the aforementioned.

The guy wins every puck battle, he's always in position, his puck movement is fantastic, he's ripping pucks on net. If this is what we are getting for the next several years,, wow.

The other positive was obviously the first line, who haven't played a game like that in a while. The scary part was that AV was forced to use that line in a defensive role as they were the only group that wasn't getting eaten alive by the Av's top 2 lines.

As for Schroeder, his line couldn't match up defensively with the Landeskog / Oriely line which is why Lappy was moved up when the Canucks had the lead.

Was more or less a 1 line effort last night and when you look at the current group of forwards it's obvious why. We have 4 or 5 guys in the bottom 9 who are either fringe NHL'ers or clear AHL'ers and it shows.

Gillis seems to think he only needs a center, but it's pretty clear he needs more. Unless we are 100% healthy we will have guys in the line up who shouldn't be.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec

First article was both well written and overall accurate. The second, was neither. Cox thinks we would not only take Bozak but now hold salary? That requires a special kind of stupid. We can just waive him in that cause you idiot. Hell, buying him out is better than that, you know, cause we need cap space.

What a moron. :laugh:

Outside99*

Good summary potatoe1. The weakness down the middle is hugely problematic as soon as there's a full on 3 man forecheck. Kesler/old Malhotra are missed big time. Schroeder defensively is very weak in every facet - ex. got owned by Johnson while covering the point, Parenteau Went thru him like butter, etc...

Still think GMMG needs to be thinking next year.

Potatoe1

Oct 5, 2004
Good summary potatoe1. The weakness down the middle is hugely problematic as soon as there's a full on 3 man forecheck. Kesler/old Malhotra are missed big time.

Thats exactly what I was thinking last night.

It's very scary when the Sedins are the only line that could counter the AV's push back last night, every other group was just floundering when we went up by a goal.

2 years ago AV would just roll Kesler and Malholtra who could easily match the other teams top lines even when they were making a push. Now he has to use the Sedins in a defensive role, wow....

Still think GMMG needs to be thinking next year.

Depends.....

The defense, goal tending, and first line all look prety good. The the bottom9 wingers are also quite good, and Lappy is fine as a #4 C.

It's really only the 2 / 3 centers and some extra depth that we are missing.

If Kesler can come back and get playing at a high level we are a different team.

I have been pleasantly surprised by Schroeder, but we should not roll into the playoffs with him as a fixture on the 3rd line. He should still be a depth player heading into the post season.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
Schroeder lost puck battles but so did Pinner and he played over 15 min.

There was even a point where he had time for a clear up the boards but braced early for a hit and turned it over. Not taking a hit to make the play is basically death nail for a guy with such a fringe career.

Pinner played better than Gordon and Sestitio, so there really wasn't anything AV could do short of going with two lines. It's also a pretty big exaggeration to say he played as poorly as Schroeder. I'm a big fan of his but played a pretty terrible game last night.

Potatoe1

Oct 5, 2004
Pinner played better than Gordon and Sestitio

No he didn't.

Pinner was absolutely deplorable in his own zone on some very key defensive shifts.

Gordon is a bad player but he didn't make the mistakes that Pinner did, and more importantly he didn't give up the puck at a key time to brace for a check.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
I've given up. Skipped the game completely, spent three hours blowing the hell out of people in BF3 instead.

Call me if the team finds its personality, or when our (probably short-lived) playoffs begin...

I spend most of the game talking to the GF. FAR by use of three hours. I keep putting off game, but you know, Mass Effect sounds like a grand idea, at least over what we're getting with the Nucks.

Call my cynical, but unless Kesler beasts it in the playoffs. We are bounced out of the first round in five or six. And it's almost hilarious LA is going to be who does it.

deadinthewater

Jan 14, 2012
I spend most of the game talking to the GF. FAR by use of three hours. I keep putting off game, but you know, Mass Effect sounds like a grand idea, at least over what we're getting with the Nucks.

Call my cynical, but unless Kesler beasts it in the playoffs. We are bounced out of the first round in five or six. And it's almost hilarious LA is going to be who does it.

I think we're good enough to get past the first round. There's no way the Canucks play that horribly again, is there? :help:

cc

Feb 28, 2002
Pinner played better than Gordon and Sestitio, so there really wasn't anything AV could do short of going with two lines. It's also a pretty big exaggeration to say he played as poorly as Schroeder. I'm a big fan of his but played a pretty terrible game last night.

Disagree. Pinner has not had any kind of impact since he arrived and last game was terrible for him. I think sestito and Gordon have played better in their own end and have generated more and that's not saying much

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
I'm preeetty sure we've gone through the whole "score a goal, get godmode from Schneider/Luongo, sit on lead" strategy back in 2011-12 and it wasn't exactly sustainable by the time the playoffs came.

When Kesler is hurt what strategy would you encourage? In 11-12 Kesler and Daniel were hurt. What would you have suggested they have done. Just have spare Kesler and Daniel in the lineup incase one of them gets hurt. We do not have many elite forwards if two out of three are hurt we will not win. If one out of three are hurt we are still in trouble. This year we will get Kesler back hopefully another good forward so we do not need out of the world goaltending. If you are insulting the team's depth you have a point, it you are insulting how this team is responding to this lack of top end depth by winning ugly you have no point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad