Post-Game Talk: Canucks 3 Stars 4: Glen Gulutzan Gulugs His Gulatorade with Gulee

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
I made my case. Cory is going to be our starting goaltender going forward and deserves to be treated like it.

I'm with you Cory is the starter and needs to be treated like a starter.

And have people forget the real reason why coaches and fans have lost faith in Luongo?

His playoff meltdowns. Luongo is playing with no pressure now, he's basically waiting to be traded.

VanEric

Dec 3, 2008
Vancouver
Luongo's mistakes were..........letting Cory steal the job off him, and then publicaly demanding a trade.

I'm just doing some searching and the first mention I can find of Luongo wanting a trade comes from someone leaking to Nick Kypreos that Lu asked for one in his exit meeting with the Canucks. The first official confirmation of this was from Alain Vigneault on a French TV station a month later. The first instance I can find of Luongo talking about it doesn't come until September.

Hal 9000*

First off, Schneider doesnt deserve anything that doesn't earn, and if the other goalie is better, the other goalie plays. That's the reason that this all happened and why you want Schneider to play more. But the reality is; Luongo is better, always has been.
Secondly, Luongo never demanded a trade, he was ambushed by the press and simply said he would move if asked.
Thirdly, Luongo does want to be here as evidenced by his signing a lifetime contract, saying and acting professional throughout this debacle and showing up to play hockey.
Fourthly (is that even a word), it's Schneider who from the end of the season until now has openly referred to Luongo in the past tense and even had his agent make noise in the media. So, what about his character?

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
I honestly don't understand how giving Luongo a game after a stretch where he's had only 1 in 2 weeks is somehow insulting to Schneider.

If Schneider wants to get a run of games then he has to play consistently well enough and string together more than 2 good games in row so that it's too hard to take him out. When you throw up a stinker like last night it becomes a no brainer for the coach to put the guy with a .943 sv% who's been on the bench for most of the last 2 weeks into the net.

VanEric

Dec 3, 2008
Vancouver
The moment Luongo has a crappy game, Schneider will probably get more of a run. He just hasn't yet but odds are his first stinker of the year is coming up soon.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
I honestly don't understand how giving Luongo a game after a stretch where he's had only 1 in 2 weeks is somehow insulting to Schneider.

If Schneider wants to get a run of games then he has to play consistently well enough and string together more than 2 good games in row so that it's too hard to take him out. When you throw up a stinker like last night it becomes a no brainer for the coach to put the guy with a .943 sv% who's been on the bench for most of the last 2 weeks into the net.

Pretty much sums it up.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
The moment Luongo has a crappy game, Schneider will probably get more of a run. He just hasn't yet but odds are his first stinker of the year is coming up soon.

Yeah, the fact that Schneider has started more games despite the difference in their records and their numbers should make it pretty clear that the team is still biasing towards Schneider. But when you're paying Luongo nearly $7M and he's at the top of his game you might as well make use of that play.

All other things being equal the team is going to start Schneider; it's Schneider's job to make sure that he performs as Luongo's equal, or at least close to it. And I'm confident that he will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad