Post-Game Talk: Canucks 3, Penguins 2 (OT) - Sid Half Asses Another OT Change

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
@Andy99

What part of this is "the coaches system" ?? You have 3 guys behind the net, and the puck and all 5 Canucks are already going the other way. This isn't a "coaching issue" - this is a player's issue.

44126069_10155624575942595_774710653070868480_o.jpg

Or this? It's a 5-3, with all 5 Penguins back below the hash marks... and yet of those 3 Canucks, 2 are open and not covered. Again, this isn't a coaching issue.

44169205_10155624575947595_582351463158644736_o.jpg
9df.gif

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
@Andy99

What part of this is "the coaches system" ?? You have 3 guys behind the net, and the puck and all 5 Canucks are already going the other way. This isn't a "coaching issue" - this is a player's issue.

44126069_10155624575942595_774710653070868480_o.jpg

Or this? It's a 5-3, with all 5 Penguins back below the hash marks... and yet of those 3 Canucks, 2 are open and not covered. Again, this isn't a coaching issue.

44169205_10155624575947595_582351463158644736_o.jpg

Obviously not every goal or mistake is due to the "system"....you can pick out every goal against or goal for and show how it occurred because of a "mistake" by a player or great individual effort....but when there;'s repeated mistakes or problems like not being able to make zone exits, failing to get sufficient shots on goal, failing to know which man to take in the DZ, failing to make the right reads etc...it's hard to say it's not a systemic problem...unless every 5-man unit you have on the ice sucks....with this team it's hard to say that...I do think the aggressive system Sully wants to play doesn't work when players aren't backchecking hard, pressuring the puck carrier and getting pucks quickly through the NZ...teams have figured out how to make the Pens'life difficult on the ice to execute their system...I just think there needs to be some creative tweaking of it to make life easier on players that can't or won't put in the effort right now to play the system efficiently...it will take some teams by surprise and may help prevent all the mistakes we're seeing..it may not work, but worth trying imo...

Reactions: vodeni

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Agreed. I thought Kessel was great last night. He was engaged on the forecheck and won battles to keep the play alive in the corner.

People want Kessel to play like Rust and score like Kessel. What people fail to realize is that player would miss 20 games a year and that player wouldn't have been available via trade.

Kessel is a primary reason for at least 3 of the 6 points the Pens have this year. He's not a perfect player. Guess what, no one is and I'll take what Kessel is doing out there right now vs Sid. Yet people continue to rip on the guy.

It’s not only them ragging on Kessel, it’s the fact they blame Malkin’s issues on him. It’s like wth kind of beer goggles do you have to be wearing...

I can see when he’s playing poorly being mad, but he’s easily playing the best of their big three up front.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Really? Bones did more for the Pens than Sutter ever did at half the price. That was a damn good trade.

Agreed. I'm happy with the outcome. But I do think Sutter would have been a better long term option. All this scrambling for a 3rd C. Sutter better than Sheahan or Cullen right now.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Agreed. I'm happy with the outcome. But I do think Sutter would have been a better long term option. All this scrambling for a 3rd C. Sutter better than Sheahan or Cullen right now.

Good thing we have that Brass guy. Of course they aren't using him consistently there, but I will gladly take what we have over Sutter. Sheahan is blah I agree. Just not worth missing Sutter IMO.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Good thing we have that Brass guy. Of course they aren't using him consistently there, but I will gladly take what we have over Sutter. Sheahan is blah I agree. Just not worth missing Sutter IMO.

Yeah, Brass should be better but it hasn't translated yet. I think Sutter pots one of the many chances he had in the playoffs and he's a better PK'er. Now they got him playing wing, I don't know. Not looking for the Brass experiment but a lot of games left and I hope I'm wrong.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Yeah, Brass should be better but it hasn't translated yet. I think Sutter pots one of the many chances he had in the playoffs and he's a better PK'er. Now they got him playing wing, I don't know. Not looking for the Brass experiment but a lot of games left and I hope I'm wrong.

Sutter is pretty mediocre. You’re judgement of hockey players is very.. different.

Hate Letang / Defend Sutter.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017

Sutter was everything Bonino wasn't: strong on the boards, shot blocker, and passer
We don't win 2 Cups with Sutter on this team

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Sutter is pretty mediocre. You’re judgement of hockey players is very.. different.

Hate Letang / Defend Sutter.

He would have been a solid/reliable 3C over the years.

Sutter was everything Bonino wasn't: strong on the boards, shot blocker, and passer
We don't win 2 Cups with Sutter on this team

We also don't win without Kessel and Hagelin. Two players Bonino got to play with that Sutter didn't so who knows.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Wonder how bad the game vs Leafs will be? guessing Matthews reaches 20 points minimum (needs 4 points). LOL!! going to be hilarious.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
I just want to see all of the talented forwards be on at the same time.

It always seems like only one of them has a streak and then goes cold and then another one goes on a streak and then goes cold...

Sure, that’s what keeps this team afloat but is it too much to ask to have everyone at the top of their game more often than not?
There's a reason why you only ever see that in the playoffs. During the reg season if one guy is on the other guys will take it easy. This is not a young hungry team - we're simply not going to see that level of effort in October. But at the end of the day this core has earned that - until they really flame out in the playoffs (or actually miss them altogether) it'll be status quo.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I guess I have someone on ignore because all I see is everyone slamming Brandon Sutter for seemingly no reason, but as always, I am here for it.

I rather enjoy these moments as it's good fun guessing who it is from the hobby horse involved. I wasn't sure at first, but after Letang was mentioned it was easy to figure out who.

Reactions: bathroomSTAAL

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
You can tell how poorly the Pens are playing when folks start advocating for Brandon Sutter.

We'll have officially hit rock bottom when people wish we still had Craig Adams and Tanner Glass for our 4th line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad