Post-Game Talk: Canucks 3 Panthers 2. EP down. Life not worth living.

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
Sooo if one of the Canucks players had grabbed Matheson and forced him to fight the next time another player saw a chance to hit Elias they would pass it up because they're... afraid? Do you seriously believe that?

Just admit you want to see violence, you want to see the guy who hurt your guy get hurt because you have a bunch of emotions. It's fine. Don't pretend there's a strategic concern here, it's embarrassing.

Pettersson is going to be a target no matter what. It's up to the refs to penalize fouls. Body slamming a guy into the ice is not a hockey play. It's dangerous and violent. But it's the sort of thing the refs just seem to miss over and over. The NHL kinda sucks.

Opposition players need to know that if they give Pettersson extra attention physically in any manner, they will be a target themselves by the entire Canucks squad.

I don't even mean necessarily illegal attention, but facewashes in front of the net, following through on all opportunities for hits, and challenges to fights if warranted.

Right now Elias Pettersson is the canucks future. The fact is he is by far the most skilled player on the canucks, while also being the slightest and most vulnerable to the physicality of the opposition. The hope that the Canucks might win a Stanley Cup in 3-4 years depend largely on him being able to reach his superstar potential. The fact that Green ordered no response to this dirty hit that probably concussed Elias, in order to have a better shot at 2 points in a completely meaningless hockey season for the canucks, is mind-bogglingly short-sighted.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Now that we saw the result.

There is absolutely no point for us to keep Roussel, Schaller and Guddy on this team. Send them packing.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
There really needs to be a rule about slamming someone if they are in the air. There is a greater Force if the head stops quickly like it does on ice. Also the body can't absorb the blow like a normal body check. It's one thing doing that move on a mat but, on ice you could really hurt someone.

Reactions: THE Green Man

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
I mean, we're also his primary audience? Seems dumb, but I guess he's got a lot of job security.
Heh, for all my gripes with iMac, he never panders to the lizard brain in us fans. He's more measured than that. That's more Botchford's territory

Reactions: Nomobo

Carl Carlson

Jan 7, 2009
To sum it up, I believe sticking up for your teammate after something like that is as much a message to that player and your OWN team as it is to the other team. It a not just about bloodlust and a need for violence and retribution. It's about showing that you have a good damn pulse!

This is my feeling as well. I don't want someone to go after Barkov or someone on their team with a dirty hit or do something stupid, I just wanted to see something. At the very least some pushing, shoving, a clean big hit, maybe some chirping maybe a fight, just show that you care.

Reactions: THE Green Man

BlueGreen

Jan 3, 2018
What blew me away, even as far as "reactionary canucks fans on twitter" go, was how many people were wishing Tortorella were still around. Yeah, the most putrid coach in all of Canucks history, a history that literally includes Mike Keenan, would somehow fix this scenario? As if his petulant tunnel display was actually something worthy of worship, and not a perfectly-embarrassing encapsulation on the historic awfulness that was his tenure?

Everyone bringing up the Hamonic payback fight like it was actually a net positive for the Flames...Hamonic got ****ed up! What do you think happens if "not my captain" Bo Horvat steps in for some pushback? Lose your top 2C in one game? Thanks for the season, here's a 20% chance at first overall? So we can send a message to ****ing Florida who we play twice a year?
This is where you’re mistaken. It’s to send a message to the rest of the league that if you mess with our superstar/best player, you don’t get away with it so easily. The rest of the league takes notice of this incident and now they know that they can body slam our superstar with no response.

member 290103

Where's JohnnyCanucker to tell us that Petterson is done and will never play again and that this will result in the Canucks losing every game forever.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Impossible to create a culture of accountability when your highest paid player is a listless corpse.

Bury him in the minors and call up Archibald and you might have a completely different situation in the locker room and in situations like this.

As mentioned in the other thread - unfortunate situation that is a big deal because of who it happened to. Not sure what was or wasn't the appropriate response - can see both sides.

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
Heh, for all my gripes with iMac, he never panders to the lizard brain in us fans. He's more measured than that. That's more Botchford's territory

... unless the Canucks took a penalty in response... then it's, That's a penalty the Canucks have to take. What imac thinks is situational.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
If I'm a Canuck bottom 6 forward, I am going for blood on matheson next time they play. Don't f*** with one of my skilled younger teammates thats still learning the ropes.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
I am not blaming Guddy and Roussel on this one when the Coach was the one that stopped anyone from making a response. The blame lies on Green.

There are times to listen to your coach, and there are times to do what needs to be done.

Yes Green shoulders the primary blame for the pathetic response, but the players themselves can't hide behind that, nothing stops them from making another player pay with hard, heavy legal checks and all the other little things a player can do to make another player regret what they or their teammate did - concussed another team's teenaged star player on a dirty play.

Kassattack

Low expectations
Sep 13, 2014
Victoria
The thing that gets me is that the fanbase is beyond pissed off at the hit, yet the guys that actually know Elias, his teammates seem to not care at all. No passion and no anger towards Matheson for that scumbag hit.

Gutless and pathetic display by the Canucks.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Now that we saw the result.

There is absolutely no point for us to keep Roussel, Schaller and Guddy on this team. Send them packing.

I wonder where the Benning Boys that said Gillis assembled a soft team and Benning is going to bring toughness are. Real tough acquisitions we've had so far. They've pummeled Benning in negotiations more than they've responded to our rookies getting hit.

I miss when things like this would happen and the camera would cut to the bench with AV's hand on Kassian's chest as if he's trying to stop him from hopping over the boards to kill the guy. Where the hell was Prust to stand up for our kids!?!?

Reactions: Morenz

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Hindustan Smyl is a big supporter of the idea that guys like Gudbranson and Roussel were brought in so that teams wouldn't take liberties with our young players. I wonder where he is tonight...

Reactions: Morenz

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
my point is that it does not matter if they "know" this will happen. It will not stop them from doing it.

I think you're wrong about that. It won't stop physicality entirely, but nhl players have a proclivity for self-preservation just like normal humans do. Do you not believe this? A punk is not going to bully the skinny nerd in the school yard if he knows his 20 bigger friends are going to stand up for him.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Personally it's not so much that I want a violent response here as it is just a lack of identity and direction of the team. Isn't this why we brought in guys like Gudbranson, Schaller, Roussel? The front office seems to like to talk about toughness and accountability when they bring these guys in, then an in-game situation that calls for it actually happens... and we get nothing, coach tells the players to stand down and go for the win. Why even bother having these guys then?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->