Post-Game Talk: Canucks 3, Avalanche 2; Shane O'Brien unable to find the cure for Roxy flu

enuck

Relax and enjoy
Jan 20, 2007
Under a palapa
This. Schroeder began to struggle once AV moved Kesler into the Raymond/Hansen line and bumped off Schroeder, eventually down with Sestito. This line has gelled since game 2 of training camp.
AV should have bumped Kesler down to the 4th line. :sarcasm:

Fans will have to figure out Schroeder has limited effectiveness. Unless we get a full 2nd line when Kesler returns and someone to fill Booth's position, Raymond and/or Hansen move up, both are better forwards than Schroeder. Schroeder only fits and plays well on one line. He isn't a top six in this system.

Some people would like to blame AV for that for some odd reason.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011

Fans will have to figure out Schroeder has limited effectiveness. Unless we get a full 2nd line when Kesler returns and someone to fill Booth's position, Raymond and/or Hansen move up, both are better forwards than Schroeder. Schroeder only fits and plays well on one line. He isn't a top six in this system.

keith-ballard-4-nhl.jpg

I mean, if AV is going to scratch him as a d-man, might as well take Booth's spot on the 2nd line. :handclap:

Lindt

Apr 28, 2010
Really? Who cares how they played last year? Coyotes are in a tail spin, the Blues are not the same team at all, Kings are doing alright but aren't the world beaters from the playoffs last year, and the Avs are abysmal. I'm not complaining, and I think it's great the Canucks are winning when they have so many injuries, but it still doesn't really tell us much about how the team will fare in the playoffs, and neither will the next little stretch.

Nothing will, so what's your point?

enuck

Relax and enjoy
Jan 20, 2007
Under a palapa
I mean, if AV is going to scratch him as a d-man, might as well take Booth's spot on the 2nd line. :handclap:

I'm not sure I can picture that lol maybe if Ballard gains 50 pounds to create more space and attaches turbo jets to his skates, but who knows, this team and it's ever rotating line changes is predictably unpredictable..anything can happen.

Alexistheman

Jun 28, 2007
Surrey

Keep in mind that Kesler could have and did play alongside Kassian and Higgins, and would have eventually been Kassian/Booth Kesler and Higgins/Kassian. There was minimal reason to break up Raymond-Schroeder-Hansen.

Also, to your other point that we've only played CBJ once, we've played them twice, 1-0-1.

enuck

Relax and enjoy
Jan 20, 2007
Under a palapa
Keep in mind that Kesler could have and did play alongside Kassian and Higgins, and would have eventually been Kassian/Booth Kesler and Higgins/Kassian. There was minimal reason to break up Raymond-Schroeder-Hansen.
I'm all for keeping Schroeder up, as long as he's playing with Hansen and Raymond, he's playing a better all round game this time up as well. It was when the formers were moved up and Schroeder down his limitations were obvious.
Also, to your other point that we've only played CBJ once, we've played them twice, 1-0-1.
Thanks, you're correct. Short memory and bad eyes when I glanced at CDC.

Land O Lakes

Jan 8, 2013

Yeah you could move Kesler down to the 4th line, or... Leave the third line how it is (especially since it was and is producing like a 2nd line), and find suitable partners for Kesler on the 2nd line. Raymond is not a suitable partner for Kesler and never has been with. The Raymond-Kesler-Hansen line was atrocious and was the beginning of numerous line juggling acts from AV. Raymond-Schroeder-Hansen works. It's a line. It clicks. Why break it up?

I also don't understand the hate for Schroeder. I see tons of these types of "He's never going to amount to anything" comments from fans even after he has a good game. The kid is a rookie and has been playing solid hockey. Of course he's not coming out of the gates firing, that's normal. If anything I'd be thrilled to have a young prospect who's already making an impact defensively and offensively lately. Give him breathing room, let him make mistakes, let him learn -- that's what you do for rookies.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
Seriously. Everyone get on Twitter right now.

It's ****ing awesome!

Another from Lou

Strombone ‏@strombone1 2m
@Ryan_Kesler @kbieksa3 hey leave my French buddy alone.....Its not his fault....I don't understand him when he speaks French either

keslerburrows

Mar 9, 2011
Vernon, Canada
Strombone ‏@strombone1 35m
The doorman at the hotel today called me Mr. Kesler which is so weird cuz it pretty much ruined the rest of my life.....

Ryan Kesler ‏@Ryan_Kesler 17m
@strombone1 funny how when we traded for you our hair gel budget skyrocketed

Strombone ‏@strombone1 21m
@Ryan_Kesler do you still frost your tips or we done with that?

Kevin Bieksa @kbieksa3
@strombone1 @Ryan_Kesler Regardless of your interesting hairstyle choices, at least you both graduated from High School....cue Burr

Ryan Kesler ‏@Ryan_Kesler 10m
@kbieksa3 @strombone1 does burr even have his grade 9. I still can't understand him.

Bits and pieces :laugh:

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
This game just showed that you can't possibly contain the dreaded Ballard--Ebbett--Burrows line, you can just hope to contain it. The Avs' shields just can't repel firepower of that magnitude. :laugh:

Just happy we're winning. Don't know how with half the forwards in sick bay, but somehow it's happening.

lol @ Obie being on the ice for the Avs in the last minute. Man, they've really slipped...

Schneider great yet again.

Schroeder also very good. When even the mighty AV finally bows to the obvious and puts skill players with other skill players, good things happen.

Am I the only one who thinks Ballard should just stay a forward? He's been better up front than in the press box.

Barker still sucks.

Alberts doesn't suck quite as much as Barker.

They say sometimes at night, you can still see the outline of Shane O'Brien's vomit pool behind the Roxy.

Keep on winnin' boys!

Nov 1, 2011
Good to get the win. This is the first game of our win streak that I think that we actually outplayed the other team. Still our goaltending was solid and there's let in a softie which was the difference.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
Why can us fans on HF spot things before AV?

-Garrison first unit pp....money.

-Schroeder with wingers who aren't plugs....money.

Throw in the fact that I'm pretty sure Ballard has pretty much begged AV to play him as winger when our players have been injured in the past. I think it was brought up in the Kings series? I think that's when I remember hearing about it.

BuzzBuzz

Apr 7, 2011
I understand that, he is still a rental player.

I understand he is great offensively. But He's not bringing home the moon as a rental.

2nd + Prospect. But not a roster player aswell. Because if you are basing Jagr's worth on the Morrow transaction.

Then I guess there is a case to be made for Higgins bringing us back a very nice package aswell.

I'm basing his value on what happened the past two trade deadline and a recent transaction. You are not basing your argument on anything.

enuck

Relax and enjoy
Jan 20, 2007
Under a palapa
Yeah you could move Kesler down to the 4th line, or... Leave the third line how it is (especially since it was and is producing like a 2nd line), and find suitable partners for Kesler on the 2nd line. Raymond is not a suitable partner for Kesler and never has been with. The Raymond-Kesler-Hansen line was atrocious and was the beginning of numerous line juggling acts from AV. Raymond-Schroeder-Hansen works. It's a line. It clicks. Why break it up?
ahh I was being sarcastic about kesler on the 4th line.

I also don't understand the hate for Schroeder. I see tons of these types of "He's never going to amount to anything" comments from fans even after he has a good game. The kid is a rookie and has been playing solid hockey. Of course he's not coming out of the gates firing, that's normal. If anything I'd be thrilled to have a young prospect who's already making an impact defensively and offensively lately. Give him breathing room, let him make mistakes, let him learn -- that's what you do for rookies.
I'm not in that camp, and I haven't noticed a lot of 'hate' for him, but then again I tend to speed read over post that are off the wall. On the other hand I'm a realist, his being limited isn't a knock against him, in fact he reminds me of Grabner, which is why my disclaimer is that he has limitation playing in the Canucks system depending on what the lines are. He could also have more upside and potential yet unseen. As he is now, he's not a top winger in this system when we don't have injuries.

Seatoo

Never Stop Poasting
Oct 19, 2012
Okanagan
Maybe we can figure out a way to keep Ballard on the wing from now on.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Higgins-Kesler-Kassian
Raymond-Schroder-Hansen
Ballard-Lapierre-Weise

I dunno how it would work out but damn does Ballard playing as a winger appeal to me!

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Why can us fans on HF spot things before AV?

-Garrison first unit pp....money.

-Schroeder with wingers who aren't plugs....money.

to be fair, AV has made some solid moves as well

-Ballard as a winger
-Hamhuis/Garrison pairing
-Demoting Burrows and promote Higgins
-move Schroeder down when he lost his intensity and then moved him back up

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad