Vancouver/Edinburgh
1. Quinn Hughes (166/183)
2. Vasili Podkolzin (107/153)
3. Thatcher Demko (92/125)
4. Jett Woo (59/145)
5. Nils Hoglander (45/118)
6. Tyler Madden (28/59)
7. Olli Juolevi (61/82)

michael-dipietro-of-the-vancouver-canucks-participates-in-warmups-a-picture-id1128297057

8. Michael DiPietro, G, Ottawa (OHL) - 64th Overall, 2017
(38/96 votes - 39.6%)
2018 ranking - #10

Nucks for the Cup

Jul 28, 2011
Vancouver
Between Rathbone and MacEwen but had to go Rathbone been a massive fan of his since we drafted him and believe he can become a top 4 dmen for us, MacEwens floor is definitely higher but I think he tops out as a decent 3rd liner so going for ceiling with Rathbone

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Was about to vote Rathbone before I saw MacEwen on the poll.

I could see Rathbone jumping into the top-5 Canucks prospects by season's end if he can throw down another ppg season in college.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Was about to vote Rathbone before I saw MacEwen on the poll.

I could see Rathbone jumping into the top-5 Canucks prospects by season's end if he can throw down another ppg season in college.

He was only at a 2/3 p/g pace this season.

If he can put down a p/g season without Adam Fox on the team, you have to be thrilled with that and at that point you're either signing him to a maximum ELC or are trading him to a team he's interested in signing with.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Rathbone reminds me a bit of Jordan Subban. Has some talent and can skate but is small (although not quite as small as Subban) and not good at all defensively.

He's a decent prospect but I feel there's a bit of over-hype here.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Rathbone reminds me a bit of Jordan Subban. Has some talent and can skate but is small (although not quite as small as Subban) and not good at all defensively.

I think he's a better skater than Subban, but can't speak to the defensive of the game.

In terms of the poll, went with Lockwood but was considering MacEwen. I think Lockwood has a slightly higher potential but MacEwen is more likely to make it.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
He was only at a 2/3 p/g pace this season.

If he can put down a p/g season without Adam Fox on the team, you have to be thrilled with that and at that point you're either signing him to a maximum ELC or are trading him to a team he's interested in signing with.
Luckily, to counterbalance that, he'll have way more ice time. I assume he'll be paired with Reilly Walsh who also put up a lot of points at defense last year (probably also playing with Fox, but you gotta figure they both learned something from it!)

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Luckily, to counterbalance that, he'll have way more ice time. I assume he'll be paired with Reilly Walsh who also put up a lot of points at defense last year (probably also playing with Fox, but you gotta figure they both learned something from it!)

I probably watched 5-15 Harvard games last season and most of the time from what I recall Rathbone spent it with Fox.

He'll definitely have more PP time though -- Walsh and Fox were normally the guys on the first unit.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Rathbone has a really really low chance of being an NHLer, and if he does, it will be a long time from now, possibly with another team.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014

He's a vastly better 4 way skater than Subban, noticeably more skilled, and much bigger. He's listed at 5'11" and 190 having just turned 20. At 24 Subban is listed at 174-185 pounds and is generally thought to be under his listed height of 5'9".

Cquant

May 14, 2015
I'm still a little weirded out how we managed to choose Madden over Juolevi. He has so much to prove this year.

Anyway, this time it's up between MacEwan and Rathbone. I prefer MacEwan, but went with Rathbone - more value.

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
Yeah, McEwan i think should go next. Lockwood or Rathbone may have a slightly higher ceiling but McEwan is several rings up the ladder and they are hard ones at that.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
He's a vastly better 4 way skater than Subban, noticeably more skilled, and much bigger. He's listed at 5'11" and 190 having just turned 20. At 24 Subban is listed at 174-185 pounds and is generally thought to be under his listed height of 5'9".

Yes, Rathbone is a bit bigger - which I mentioned.

Both are still undersized defenders of a similar style with similar defensive deficiencies. Disagree that Rathbone is noticeably more skilled - Subban was very dynamic at that age and then walked into the AHL as an All-Star at that level at age 20. His career then went sideways as he was brutally handled by the organization, and obviously he has to own his inability to improve defensively but you wonder how he would have developed if his AHL coach wasn't Travis Green.

Rathbone is a bit better prospect because he isn't 5'9 but defensively it still looks like he's playing pond hockey at times and offensively he isn't Adam Fox or Quinn Hughes.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
I'm still a little weirded out how we managed to choose Madden over Juolevi. He has so much to prove this year.

Anyway, this time it's up between MacEwan and Rathbone. I prefer MacEwan, but went with Rathbone - more value.

Madden is easily over Juolevi. Juolevi arguably doesn’t deserve to be top 10.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Yes, Rathbone is a bit bigger - which I mentioned.

Both are still undersized defenders of a similar style with similar defensive deficiencies. Disagree that Rathbone is noticeably more skilled - Subban was very dynamic at that age and then walked into the AHL as an All-Star at that level at age 20. His career then went sideways as he was brutally handled by the organization, and obviously he has to own his inability to improve defensively but you wonder how he would have developed if his AHL coach wasn't Travis Green.

Rathbone is a bit better prospect because he isn't 5'9 but defensively it still looks like he's playing pond hockey at times and offensively he isn't Adam Fox or Quinn Hughes.
He's a far, far better skater than Subban. It isn't close at all. He has an extra gear on him in all directions. If you're saying all that separates them is size, I question how much you actually watch Rathbone. Incidentally Subban was given top pairing minutes for two seasons in the AHL, couldn't improve his defence at all, and is currently washed out of pro hockey at 24. And no one is claiming Rathbone's offensive skills are comparable to Adam Fox or Quinn Hughes. They're certainly good.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
He's a far, far better skater than Subban. It isn't close at all. He has an extra gear on him in all directions. If you're saying all that separates them is size, I question how much you actually watch Rathbone. Incidentally Subban was given top pairing minutes for two seasons in the AHL, couldn't improve his defence at all, and is currently washed out of pro hockey at 24. And no one is claiming Rathbone's offensive skills are comparable to Adam Fox or Quinn Hughes. They're certainly good.

I've seen Rathbone 4 or 5 times. They're different skaters - Rathbone is more of a 'textbook' quality skater while Subban had more powerful lateral agility and was hard to knock off the puck for a small guy.

Small defenders who are below-average defensively and not elite offensively don't tend to project to the NHL. They're in the same box. Again, Rathbone might be closer to the top of that box but I think he's being overhyped here to an extent. If you're small and struggle in your own zone and you aren't a Hughes or Fox or Makar with big-time elite offensive skills ... it's a major uphill battle.

And again, Subban was extremely dynamic at the same age. Led a terrible OHL team in scoring (and the entire OHL in defensive goals) and then walked into the AHL scoring at a nearly 60 point pace up until the All-Star game he was selected to. Then his development went completely off the rails. I doubt that if Rathbone turned pro right now he'd be an AHL All-Star next season.

Reactions: shottasasa

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
Madden is easily over Juolevi. Juolevi arguably doesn’t deserve to be top 10.

I don’t think it would be a very good argument if you have Juolevi outside the top ten in this group.

I do think there is some overhyping of the college kids right now maybe due to recent successes. Lockwood is essentially on the Tyler Motte Career trajectory and looks to be a similar player. Madden and Rathbone are only a year in, put up good but not amazing numbers last year, and definitely have a few question marks. If they have a healthy season they may well answer a few of those, but until then they are below a couple players that went after them or are still on the list.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Based on career trajectory, it has to be MacEwen. Un-drafted out of the Q, who's shown dramatic improvement over two years in Utica. He's knocking on the door of NHL employment as potentially more than a fourth line banger and crasher, and clearly has some offensive chops.

It's too bad Gaudette appears to have too many games at the NHL level to be listed as a prospect. If he was on this list though, he'd rank far higher and drop someone down the board.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad