TIEBREAKER

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Uhhhhh ... neither?

Jasek just has zero NHL potential. Small, average skater, no finish, nothing special away from the puck.

Will vote for Gadjovich because *maybe* after several years he could be a 4th-line callup. If anyone has a long enough memory, the player that he most reminds me of was PC Labrie - a square tank with the mobility of a battleship but decent hands and positional IQ who did actually play a few NHL games.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
I've been a Jasek darkhorser since day 1. He scraped by decently in his first year in Utica when almost all other prospects were either trash or turned tail.
Jasek will probably be tapped for top-6 minutes next year, whereas I am still not sure if Gadjovich is a lock to play 50 games even when healthy.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
I like Jonah and think if he continues to work on his game, improve over time and move up the Utica lineup like MacEwan did, maybe he can carve out a similar call up situation and then a 4th liner. Jasek is more boom or bust with the boom being pretty low bar.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
It's a battle between MS and JD Burke.

MS: Jasek just has zero NHL potential. Small, average skater, no finish, nothing special away from the puck.

JD: There is so much to like about Lukas Jasek’s game. He’s a player with great offensive instincts and the skating stride necessary to capitalize on them whenever the opportunity presents itself. Furthermore, he’s a hard worker, with a little edge and both of those skills help him win most of his puck battles as a professional.
Jasek ... fights through healthy scratches, brief spells on the third and fourth lines with linemates of dubious quality and just keeps producing. ... Jasek is also third on the team in estimated points per hour at 5-on-5 behind only Reid Boucher and Brendan Gaunce.
Here's the link to the article from January of last season, in The Athletic, .
Burke Mailbag: Should the Canucks target Jesse Puljujarvi...

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.

MS: Jasek just has zero NHL potential. Small, average skater, no finish, nothing special away from the puck.

JD: There is so much to like about Lukas Jasek’s game. He’s a player with great offensive instincts and the skating stride necessary to capitalize on them whenever the opportunity presents itself. Furthermore, he’s a hard worker, with a little edge and both of those skills help him win most of his puck battles as a professional.
Jasek ... fights through healthy scratches, brief spells on the third and fourth lines with linemates of dubious quality and just keeps producing. ... Jasek is also third on the team in estimated points per hour at 5-on-5 behind only Reid Boucher and Brendan Gaunce.
There was a lot to be excited about Jasek's hot start in the AHL last spring. By all accounts, he's shown next to none of that over a longer period of time. Too bad

Safer to go with the younger player in Gadjovich

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Jasek scored 9 goals in the AHL in his draft+4 season, is undersized and an average skater, and isn't anything special in terms of a motor or defensive play.

Will he be a good AHL player next year? Sure. Wouldn't be surprised to see him score 45 or 50 points. Does he do anything that actually projects? Nope.

2 goals in 40 games after Christmas last year. He actually did look decent early but that wore off and was completely invisible most of the season.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Jasek scored 9 goals in the AHL in his draft+4 season, is undersized and an average skater, and isn't anything special in terms of a motor or defensive play.

Will he be a good AHL player next year? Sure. Wouldn't be surprised to see him score 45 or 50 points. Does he do anything that actually projects? Nope.

2 goals in 40 games after Christmas last year. He actually did look decent early but that wore off and was completely invisible most of the season.

I always appreciate your confident prospect takes. It'll be interesting to revisit this one next season. (I'm foolishly optimistic that we'll get clarity on certain issues, but realistically, I know that we're likely to see angry disagreements about Juolevi, Virtanen, etc., and even Hughes, all season long.)

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I always appreciate your confident prospect takes. It'll be interesting to revisit this one next season. (I'm foolishly optimistic that we'll get clarity on certain issues, but realistically, I know that we're likely to see angry disagreements about Juolevi, Virtanen, etc., and even Hughes, all season long.)

This is basically a make-or-break season for Jasek. If he isn't a front-line two-way player for Utica, stick a fork in him.

Like I said, I did like some of his games early. But that just fell off completely and it's difficult to think much of a guy in his draft+4 season who was completely invisible for weeks at a time.

He obviously doesn't project as a top-6 guy. He does have a bit of jam and if he makes it it would be as a speedy bottom-6 checker. But the problem is that he isn't really all that speedy and his effort level is very inconsistent. Like, look at Tyler Motte, a guy who might be similarly skilled and plays the sort of role Jasek would project at. But Motte's speed and motor absolutely blow Jasek's out of the water and Motte is *barely* an NHL player. And when you're a poor man's Tyler Motte ... you aren't going to make it.

Reactions: lindgren

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Uhhhhh ... neither?

Jasek just has zero NHL potential. Small, average skater, no finish, nothing special away from the puck.

Will vote for Gadjovich because *maybe* after several years he could be a 4th-line callup. If anyone has a long enough memory, the player that he most reminds me of was PC Labrie - a square tank with the mobility of a battleship but decent hands and positional IQ who did actually play a few NHL games.

Of the Canucks pro prospects last season, Jasek was quite easily the best of all of them save MacEwen. He's a pretty good skater, hustles, has some defensive value, and actually scored at a pretty good clip at even strength. If things go right, he's a Jannik Hansen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad