5. Nils Hoglander (45/118)
6. Tyler Madden (28/59)
7. Olli Juolevi (61/82)
8. Michael DiPietro (38/96)
9. Jack Rathbone (38/98)

10. Zack MacEwen, RW, Utica (AHL) - Undrafted UFA, 2017
73/129 votes - 56.6%
2018 ranking - #17

Most votes we've had in a poll since #4. Lot of passion for the middle-ranks, it would seem. Pretty nutso that each of the ten options (eleven if you count 'other') received at least one vote.

Added Jasek.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
I voted other for Ashton Sautner. I think he could be a solid bottom pairing guy. Was impressed with his grit and mobility. Not an impressive guy but I think given an opportunity he could play 300+ NHL games.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Lockwood has done pretty well if you ignore the fact he's been injured a lot. I'm going with Keppen because I think he'll progress similar to Woo. He has a rare skill-set that intrigues me the most.

Cquant

May 14, 2015
Why so down on Lind?

I imagine that projecting Lockwood's numbers into the AHL would have him somewhere on the same level as him. He showed good hustle by the end of the season and he plays a rather rugged game that takes time to develop. Or better said, why did we give Virtanen the benefit of the doubt but not Lind? Not judging, just interested. Maybe there's something I'm missing.

Reactions: Bertuzzzi44

Derp Kassian

Jul 14, 2012
Vancouver
Why so down on Lind?

I imagine that projecting Lockwood's numbers into the AHL would have him somewhere on the same level as him. He showed good hustle by the end of the season and he plays a rather rugged game that takes time to develop. Or better said, why did we give Virtanen the benefit of the doubt but not Lind? Not judging, just interested. Maybe there's something I'm missing.
Virt's forward skating is ELITE, that'll keep you in the pros for 10 years

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Brisebois with the same logic as MacEwen.

He's probably going to top out as a number 6/7 but is basically there now.

DomY

Aug 11, 2008
Went Lockwood. Will go Brisebois then Perron then Lind then Karlsson

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Why so down on Lind?
The correct phrasing is "Why is nobody voting Kole Lind?"

For the record, I did. :laugh: I don't really think any of these guys make it, so I'll go with pedigree.

edit: Actually Brisebois will probably be given plenty of opportunity since they annointed him as 'Important' in order to justify trading Eddie Läck, so by default he probably has a leg up.

Reactions: daddyohsix

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
I like Jasek. Sort of.

Add Silovs?

If I had to bet, I'd say none of the remaining players make it beyond 50 NHL games.

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
Breisbois for me. He took some steps in his all round game and got his feet wet in the NHL last year. If he takes a few more steps this year he should be one of the first call ups and may move above Fantenberg in the pecking order.

hellstick

Nov 2, 2006
Abbotsford
I think I'm going Perron here.

I like his NHL upside more than Brisebrois, Sautner, Keppen, and Jasek. He's practically a depth NHLer right now, which is what MacEwen is too. Not saying he's a sure bet here, but I feel he's a good candidate at 11.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Like after Demko at #3 on this list, he is the only one to have actually played in the NHL.

I can see Woo as potentially having more upside given he is so young, but after that???

Edit: and MacEwen played 4 games (diPietro's game doesn't count)

Rafferty also played 2 games (having not even practiced with the team before the first) on the road against the Predators and the Blues-- i.e., two legit teams, the latter of which compiled the 2nd highest points total during the 2nd half of the season and ultimately won the Cup. Both teams were in a pitched battle for the Central Division title, thus fully motivated to win those games against the Canucks. Rafferty's on-ice stats:

Corsi +8
Fenwick +7
Shots on goal +2 (he had three)
Scoring chances +5
High-danger scoring chances +2

He seemed to improve with each period that he played. And yet the voting so far indicates that Rafferty doesn't have a prayer of landing higher than #15 on the board's list; could fall as low as #20. A OHLer who was just drafted in the 4th round last month is getting a lot more #11 votes (17 vs 2 as I write this). Hmmm. I voted for Rafferty at #8.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Rafferty also played 2 games (having not even practiced with the team before the first) on the road against the Predators and the Blues-- i.e., two legit teams, the latter of which compiled the 2nd highest points total during the 2nd half of the season and ultimately won the Cup. Both teams were in a pitched battle for the Central Division title, thus fully motivated to win those games against the Canucks. Rafferty's on-ice stats:

Corsi +8
Fenwick +7
Shots on goal +2 (he had three)
Scoring chances +5
High-danger scoring chances +2

He seemed to improve with each period that he played. And yet the voting so far indicates that Rafferty doesn't have a prayer of landing higher than #15 on the board's list; could fall as low as #20. A OHLer who was just drafted in the 4th round last month is getting a lot more #11 votes (17 vs 2 as I write this). Hmmm. I voted for Rafferty at #8.

Good catch. Not sure why players who have already demonstrated NHL ability don't rank higher.

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
This is dire now.

Literally no one stands out. Lockwood has a great motor, so he at least has a chance as a bottom 6 energy guy.

Also Lind and Gadjovich should be ahead of Keppen. Yes, the sheen is off, but Keppen will go through the exact same thing when turning pro in all likelihood.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad