Prospect Info: Canucks 2018 Prospect Rankings - #9

Rank the Canucks #9 Prospect

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Js0pDggt_400x400.jpg
i dont expect many to agree with me here but by the end of this year i think you will

Last edited:

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
As far as I'm concerned this should only be between three players: Palmu, Depietro, and Woo. Any of those three is a fine pick at #9. I went with Palmu because I think he's really going to surprise people if he gets a valid chance at playing in the NHL.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
There are some interesting names on the list, but I think that Woo has the highest floor of them all. DiPietro is also interesting, but he's probably going back to junior for another year so he's at least 3-4 seasons from the NHL so I have to value him lower based on that.

DomY

Aug 11, 2008
I understand the love for Woo, latest 2nd rounder and all. But I had Lockwood here and I will continue to vote for Lockwood until he is taken I suppose. To me he has the highest upside and the highest pedigree out of the remaining players. The knock on him will always be his shoulder though.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Utunen should be on the list, he's a top prospect. Went with the goalie here.
Yup, Utunen and Mac need to be added. Anyone know why Zhuk is even on the list? He will never sniff the NHL and I thought he isn’t even Canucks property anymore?

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
I like Gadjo. This season is going to be big for him, if he can improve his first step (which he seems to have done some work with) and if he can use his strength effectively against men, he's got a really interesting upside. As I have said elsewhere, if things work out well, I think he could be our anti-Tkachuk.

drivier

Apr 30, 2009
Vancouver
Man this one was tough... and I don't think anyone can be faulted for any selection they made.

I didn't go with Gadjovich because I think he will have a shot but I have Kassian-like fears.
I didn't go with DiPietro because goaltending is a weird science and with Demko, I think his best shot is as an "add-on" to a trade as an asset in years.
I didn't go with Woo because of injury fears.
I didn't go with Jasek because (while excited) I want to temper my own expectations and he has a limited N.A. track record.

I was split between Palmu and Madden and went with Madden only based on "stock" and position because Madden has multiple hats he may be able to wear that could find him a steady role.

Southern_Canuck

Sep 13, 2004
So far - 2017 compared to 2018:

1. Brock Boeser1. Elias Pettersson
2. Elias Pettersson2. Quinton Hughes
3. Olli Juolevi3. Thatcher Demko
4. Thatcher Demko4. Olli Juolevi
5. Jonathan Dahlen5. Jonathan Dahlen
6. Adam Gaudette6. Adam Gaudette
7. Nicolay Goldobin7. Kole Lind
8. Jake Virtanen8. Nicolay Goldobin
9. Kole Lind9. Jett Woo (likely)
10. Jonah Gadjovich10. ?
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

S_C

Last edited:

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Man this one was tough... and I don't think anyone can be faulted for any selection they made.

I didn't go with Gadjovich because I think he will have a shot but I have Kassian-like fears.
I didn't go with DiPietro because goaltending is a weird science and with Demko, I think his best shot is as an "add-on" to a trade as an asset in years.
I didn't go with Woo because of injury fears.
I didn't go with Jasek because (while excited) I want to temper my own expectations and he has a limited N.A. track record.

I was split between Palmu and Madden and went with Madden only based on "stock" and position because Madden has multiple hats he may be able to wear that could find him a steady role.
Please explain how Gadj gives you kassian like fears. Gadj isn’t a partier and they have few similarities on the ice other than they are both over 6ft

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Woo. Prime Bieksa 2.0

I voted for Woo here but he's nothing like Bieksa.

Exciting name, most boring player imaginable.

Amongst recent Canucks, the most similar player as a junior is Aaron Rome. NHL upside would be Travis Hamonic or Ian Cole.

It would be far better for peoples' expectations if his name was Chad Jones or something.

drivier

Apr 30, 2009
Vancouver
Please explain how Gadj gives you kassian like fears. Gadj isn’t a partier and they have few similarities on the ice other than they are both over 6ft

You're right on the off ice issues. On ice, Kassian had perceived better vision and play making abilities prior to debut. To prove my point, here's two quotes from each players pre-draft profiles. I deleted the names of the players... Read rather similarly to me. And our fan base is impatient with prospects. He stands a better chance playing elsewhere.

"Where there is some question about X is his skating and consistency. He is an average skater at best at this point. He overcame this by physically dominating his opponents. Can he keep up with the pace at the next level knowing players are just as big as he is? ... Can he find ways to make an impact if the scoring isn’t always there?"
From the Hockeywriters

"Y is a power forward with the emphasis on 'power' but that said his skill set isn't as high as others. His skating needs work as does his defensive positioning and while he does have top six forward potential, it could be a long way off and there are maybe better bets at forward that rank ahead of Y in terms of skill.."

From SBNation

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
Amongst recent Canucks, the most similar player as a junior is Aaron Rome. NHL upside would be Travis Hamonic or Ian Cole.

It would be far better for peoples' expectations if his name was Chad Jones or something.

I hate knowing that this is true, and still being excited because Jet Woo. It's a great f***ing name. I see a lot of folks going w Dipi, probably fair but I'm incapable of being excited about goalie prospects. Gadjovich I don't expect to play in the league. Jasek I know zero about. So name related or not, Woo!

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
Yup, Utunen and Mac need to be added. Anyone know why Zhuk is even on the list? He will never sniff the NHL and I thought he isn’t even Canucks property anymore?
Zhukenov is still Canucks property until June 1st of 2019. He was drafted as an eighteen year old European, so the Canucks hold his rights through four seasons after the draft.

That being said, he should definitely be near the bottom of the rankings. I have him ahead of only Laplante and possibly Gunnarsson.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Zhukenov is still Canucks property until June 1st of 2019. He was drafted as an eighteen year old European, so the Canucks hold his rights through four seasons after the draft.

That being said, he should definitely be near the bottom of the rankings. I have him ahead of only Laplante and possibly Gunnarsson.
Oh ok thanks. Thought we lost his rights this season. But yes, he isn’t a prospect worth ranking anymore

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->