Prospect Info: Canucks 2018 Prospect Rankings - #8

Rank the Canucks #8 Prospect

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
I voted for Goldobin. I realize that he might not be destined for an NHL career, but certainly the same can be said about all the remaining prospects, and at least Goldobin has demonstrated that he can excel at the AHL level. It'd be overly optimistic to assume even that level of success from any of the choices remaining (which isn't to say one or two won't be good NHLers).
I dont think Goldobin should be eligible and I also think he is done as a Canuck. He is just far to inconsistent to stick in the NHL. Lost on waivers or traded.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Palmu is pretty boom-bust. He might have the highest offensive potential of the bunch, but if he doesn't produce then he probably isn't an NHL player. Either that, or he plays chippy like Gallagher. I think a two-way player like Lockwood has an overall higher chance of being an NHL player just on the virtue of him being versatile enough to be slotted anywhere in the lineup. Jasek is the most intriguing to me.

Lockwood would probably be my vote if it wasn't for injury concerns.

I'd probably go Palmu, Gadjovich, Woo, Lockwood, MacEwen, Jasek

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
22 years of age. 61 Games in the NHL. In comparing 2014 Draft Picks, he's 31st in Games, 26th in Goals, 29th in Assists. He's an NHL'er. It is not true that he has a "Small chance of being an NHL'er" when he was a first round pick and is actually performing at a rate similar to his draft peers. (The only thing that prevents it is him determining he wishes to return to mother-Russia.)

Instead, you are going to rank ahead of him a 6th round pick who surged out of nowhere from playing in Czech leagues and say he will overcome the NHL adjustment? Possible. But, you're banking on Jasek being the 1 in 15 shot of an extended NHL career as a 6th round pick with limited N. American experience? I would love for the hype train on Jasek to be legit. But, let's remind ourselves that Goldobin was the 2nd leading OHL scorer in draft year. And, in contrast Jasek is entirely off the board.

You certainly have the right to be frustrated but anyone remaining on the list over Goldobin is too much heart over head.

If I had to pick a best player at this time from among that list or the player on the list most likely to make the NHL in 2018-19, I would pick Goldobin with a reasonable degree of confidence.

But the best player today is not necessarily the best long term prospect-and this is a prospect list. I don't think it unrealistic to downgrade Goldobin's chances of becoming a good NHL player because he is about to turn 23, has completed his D + 4 season and was only a month by birth away from being eligible for the draft the season before. Since being drafted he spent one year in the top professional Finnish league and three seasons split between AHL and NHL, but he hasn't yet managed to become an NHL regular.

He definitely has talent. He's the most likely from the remaining group to make the NHL in 2018-19, but I think it is going too far to ignore his age and experience advantage over the other prospects and accuse voters of picking with heart instead of head.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
I voted Goldobin because he has the highest upside.

Dipietro goalies you don't really know what you got until they play some nhl games.

The rest I don't see much upside. Either 5/6 d or 3rd/4th lines or don't make it to the nhl.

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
Goldobin isn't a prospect anymore imo. I won't vote for him on that basis. He's 9 months older than Virtanen, not eligible for the Calder etc. Personally, I use waiver elibility (I know most won't agree with that) to decide who's a prospect and who's not. If you can't go down without passing through waivers you're not a prospect anymore.

I haven't completely given up on him as an nhl'er, but he sure as hell better claim his spot on one of the top 2 lines this year (out of camp/preseason), because looking at the guys he has to beat out I think if he doesn't do it now, he's pretty much used up most of his chances. Probably all his chances with us.

I voted Woo, because I think he has the best combo of upside and floor. His upside might be a #3, who can anchor your 2cnd pairing and take the toughest defensive matchups, or pair with your #1 offensive guy and play the steady eddie role. I can't see his downside being much worse than a bottom pairing guy (maybe #7/8 at worst) Sbisa type- hopefully w.o. the free pizzas.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tv9924

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Interesting results in this one. Goldy boy with about half the votes then theres a HUGE grouping of Woo Palmu Dipi Gad and Jasek. Should get interesting, i got those 5ive pretty close

ihaveyuidonttouchme

MrShiftbyShiftGuy
Feb 21, 2009
Vancouver
www.youtube.com
wei'll see but i have a funny feeling Gadjovich isnt getting a lot of love for being too big and slow-ish
i see him has the pretty good bet of reaching gritty 'potentially' perennial top six forward
Lockwood with injury concern and questionable iq in creativity, see him as high as third line energy scorer (maybe wit
Jasek needs to do more than few game stints at the end of last yr is not enough for me to be ahead of Gadjovich might have tweener top six needs to see more
i do not mind Palmu even though i still see him as a tweener top six forward who needs to do a lot to stay around in the top six slot i hope he does i love that little guy
even though ive seen them all at least 5+ games, i have no idea what im talking about

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
It's a nice situation when we're looking at 8 deep in the prospect pool and all have a legitimate shot at being NHL players. It wasn't long ago Subban was our great hope on D. And I would be very suprised if at least 2 or 3 of the remaining players on the list didn't have NHL careers.
Exciting times. Not competitive yet but we can start to see a core and some good support players.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
wei'll see but i have a funny feeling Gadjovich isnt getting a lot of love for being too big and slow-ish
i see him has the pretty good bet of reaching gritty 'potentially' perennial top six forward
Lockwood with injury concern and questionable iq in creativity, see him as high as third line energy scorer (maybe wit
Jasek needs to do more than few game stints at the end of last yr is not enough for me to be ahead of Gadjovich might have tweener top six needs to see more
i do not mind Palmu even though i still see him as a tweener top six forward who needs to do a lot to stay around in the top six slot i hope he does i love that little guy
even though ive seen them all at least 5+ games, i have no idea what im talking about

Indeed, for most of us at this point it's hunches and guesses. There are serious questions about all the remaining prospects, and real potential as well.

For the next round, I'll probably just defer to draft position and go with Woo. If Gadjovich hadn't had his injury troubles, he'd have had a chance to show more and be ranked higher.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
That depends, does this forum have enough space for all of your garbage posts?
latest

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
It's a nice situation when we're looking at 8 deep in the prospect pool and all have a legitimate shot at being NHL players. It wasn't long ago Subban was our great hope on D. And I would be very suprised if at least 2 or 3 of the remaining players on the list didn't have NHL careers.
Exciting times. Not competitive yet but we can start to see a core and some good support players.

The Canucks will be bad this year and drafting high again. With the draft in Vancouver, this is the year to unload veterans and stock up on picks for a banner draft to add to the pool even more.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
The Canucks will be bad this year and drafting high again. With the draft in Vancouver, this is the year to unload veterans and stock up on picks for a banner draft to add to the pool even more.
Man I hope so. And if that is what happens I will even give them something of a pass for bringing in so many vets. I doubt this is the plan, though.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Goldobin was drafted the same year as Virtanen and MCann, has now parts of three seasons in the AHL....not really a prospect...voted Gadjovich...just a feeling, but he might surprise in Utica this season.

M2Beezy

May 25, 2014
So Sonic Y get banned or something ??? What is with these polls? We aint gonna be done til November at this rate :shakehead

M2Beezy

May 25, 2014
No, but he hasn't been online since Thursday. People have lives outside of this board and if you're going to complain about the rate at which these fun off-season polls go up, I suggest you re-evaluate your priorities in life
Yep. What a joke :shakehead

M2Beezy

May 25, 2014
Been almost a week now, time someone else takes this over AND/ or send a warning to this guy wtf

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->