4. Nicklas Jensen4. Olli Juolevi
5. Brendan Gaunce5. Jonathan Dahlen
6. Jordan Schroeder6. Adam Gaudette
7. Eddie Lack7. Kole Lind
8. Joacim Eriksson8. Nicolay Goldobin
9. Alexandre Mallet9. Jett Woo
10. Ben Hutton10. ?
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Totally forgot who Joacim Eriksson was...

Yeah, and compare where those players were drafted overall. 2018 - 5th, 7th, 1st goalie taken, 5th, etc

going from memory but, 2013 9th, 23, later round, 28th?, 27th? 23rd?, later round etc.

Massive difference in where we were at.

We have a much better prospect pool because we have sucked.

forty47seven

May 2, 2009
This is what happens when you draft top-5 in every single round of the draft vs drafting in the 25-30 range in every round of the draft. Simple as that—better players are available.

I don't know about that... Drafting was absolute garbage in the Gillis era. McCann and Boeser are already better than anything that management group walked away with in the late first round. I'm not a fan of Benning in almost every aspect of GM competency except drafting. He's been a breathe of fresh air in that regard. Or at least a break from the stench of past regimes.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Yeah, and compare where those players were drafted overall. 2018 - 5th, 7th, 1st goalie taken, 5th, etc

going from memory but, 2013 9th, 23, later round, 28th?, 27th? 23rd?, later round etc.

Massive difference in where we were at.

We have a much better prospect pool because we have sucked.
Almost half the list so far have been picked outside the first round or early 2nd round.

DomY

Aug 11, 2008
Aren't they all top 40 picks but Gaudette, Dahlen and Goldobin?

Goldobin was a late 1st in 2014; Dahlen 42th OA in 2016. That being said I agree with the overall sentiment. Gadjovich, Palmu, Jasek, DiPietro, even Bresbois, and Rathbone all have better skillsets than Alex Mallets of the world. It seemed like the GMMG era drafted for fit for the existing core (emphasis on size, 4th line plug and play guys, high floor low ceiling dmen) rather than overall upside with eyes to the future. The compounded this by repeatedly trading away picks, but Flags Fly Forever.

Back on topic, I once again voted for Will Lockwood. I think he will be the biggest mover in next year's poll. Either Top 5 if he manages to stay healthy playing with J. Hughes in college, or down to mid-teens if his shoulder doesn't hold up.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
Ouch. You know the pantry is empty when Frankie Corrado is your team's third most talented prospect in the entire system.

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
I don't know about that... Drafting was absolute garbage in the Gillis era. McCann and Boeser are already better than anything that management group walked away with in the late first round. I'm not a fan of Benning in almost every aspect of GM competency except drafting. He's been a breathe of fresh air in that regard. Or at least a break from the stench of past regimes.

Drafting under Gillis was bad yep, but pointing out that Boeser absolutely crushes anything we got out of our late firsts under Gillis is no different from pointing out that 9oa Horvat absolutely crushes 5 and 6oa JV and OJ. I'm super excited for EP and Hughes, but it wasn't long ago people were calling 2014 our greatest draft ever, franchise changing, etc, and turns out got almost nothing out of it. Time is as kind to prospects as it is to fruit.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
Ouch. You know the pantry is empty when Frankie Corrado is your team's third most talented prospect in the entire system.

Even worse is that the guys after him on the list pretty much plateaued,or regressed,after their draft seasons.
No wonder we’ve been the worst team in the league over the last three seasons with a prospect pool like that.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Jett Woo ahead of DiPietro? Really? Too much recency bias with these threads.

Here on the internet we only have one rule:

raw

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Was thinking Demko was 3rd round so not as many as I thought. However you can't deny that we've done better with our later picks than the previous regimes, that shouldn't be much of a debate.
I dunno. We've got Gaudette now, and we had Corrado and later Hutton before.

I agree though that our drafting has improved. I still don't think we're a great development org though, Virtanen, McCann and Hutton were rush jobs that haven't been a banging success.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
I dunno. We've got Gaudette now, and we had Corrado and later Hutton before.

I agree though that our drafting has improved. I still don't think we're a great development org though, Virtanen, McCann and Hutton were rush jobs that haven't been a banging success.
Edler and Hansen too werent they late round steals??

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Jett Woo ahead of DiPietro? Really? Too much recency bias with these threads.

It's a combination of:
-Recency
-Draft position
-Having Demko in the wings over DiPietro
-Woo playing a role that this team needs (physical, responsible defensive dman...like what we thought we were getting in Gudbranson and to a lesser extent Sbisa).

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
It's a combination of:
-Recency
-Draft position
-Having Demko in the wings over DiPietro
-Woo playing a role that this team needs (physical, responsible defensive dman...like what we thought we were getting in Gudbranson and to a lesser extent Sbisa).
+ fun name.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Corrado was looking like a steady NHLer playing in the playoffs against San Jose in 2012-2013.

The team absolutely gutted his development with the mistreatment of his recovery from an injury (sound familiar with this teams training staff?)

forty47seven

May 2, 2009
Drafting under Gillis was bad yep, but pointing out that Boeser absolutely crushes anything we got out of our late firsts under Gillis is no different from pointing out that 9oa Horvat absolutely crushes 5 and 6oa JV and OJ. I'm super excited for EP and Hughes, but it wasn't long ago people were calling 2014 our greatest draft ever, franchise changing, etc, and turns out got almost nothing out of it. Time is as kind to prospects as it is to fruit.

Even if we take Boeser and Horvat out of the equation things still look better under Benning. As you've pointed out, there's still time for these prospects to turn sour, and a lot of them will, but the vast majority are trending in the right direction. Guys like Schroeder, Gaunce, Jensen, Sauve, Mallet, Hoznik, ect, 20-90 range picks, were stagnant immediately after being drafted. Hutton, Connauton and Corrado are all Gillis and co. have to show for throught six years of later round picks. Gaudette alone is already a bigger win than those three. Drafting outside the top 10 has been far better.

That 2014 draft class definitely isn't the best ever but it's still their deepst in a decade. It looks a lot worse because of poor assest management. McCann would be the No. 2 center on the depth chart right now, a huge organizational need, if they didn't trade him for garbage. Tryamkin would be No.2/3 on the LD depth chart if things didn't end on a sour note. Demko is still tracking like a future starter. Forsling is at least a replacement level NHLer and has more upside than Clendening did at the same age.

Benning's had his flubs (Virtanen/Joulevi) but he's been above average overall and far from terrible. Have to give him credit for overhauling the scouting department. Demoting Delorme and promoting Brackett to director of amateur scouting was huge.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Corrado was looking like a steady NHLer playing in the playoffs against San Jose in 2012-2013.

The team absolutely gutted his development with the mistreatment of his recovery from an injury (sound familiar with this teams training staff?)
Absolutely gutted his development? Strange that TO couldn’t resurrect his career. Ever think he wasn’t good enough?

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
it may be recency bias, but there are quite a few players still on the board at 10 that i have real hope for based on more than just junior careers. i would not be at all surprised to see jasek, palmu or even mcewen get call ups this year.

also lockwood, a player who i really liked, has dropped like a stone for me on the depth chart even though i still like the guy. basically just by failing to progress he's falling way behind.

which is a good thing in terms of team depth.

Southern_Canuck

Sep 13, 2004
As choice #10 winds down - again a 2017 comparison:

2017 2018
10. Jonah Gadjovich10. Michael DiPietro (likely)
11. Will Lockwood11.
12. Jordan Subban12.
13. Guillaume Brisebois13.
14. Michael DiPietro14.
15. Zack MacEwen15.
16. Evan McEneny16.
17. Jalen Chatfield17.
18. Petrus Palmu18.
19. Jack Rathbone19.
20. Philip Holm20.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

I see Palmu and Rathbone moving up a lot...

S_C

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
it may be recency bias, but there are quite a few players still on the board at 10 that i have real hope for based on more than just junior careers. i would not be at all surprised to see jasek, palmu or even mcewen get call ups this year.

also lockwood, a player who i really liked, has dropped like a stone for me on the depth chart even though i still like the guy. basically just by failing to progress he's falling way behind.

which is a good thing in terms of team depth.
EXACTLY how i feel about this

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad