Prospect Info: Canucks 2017 Prospect Rankings - #9

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
I vote.Brisebois but went back and forth on a few guys. Don't see much separation in upside between Brisebois, Lockwood, Lind and Gadjovich (see them all as top 4 D, middle 6 forwards). Was leaning towards Lockwood because of his impressive freshman year, but ultimately a top 4 defender is more valuable to me than a middle 6 winger so I voted for position.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
M2B has an irrational hate on for Virtanen, almost as much as he hates still being called M2B.

Okay, maybe more.

It's not that much different than mine frankly. I'd put Virtanen around Carcone somewhere around 12-14th range.

Mine:

- Boeser
- Demko
- Dahlen
- Petterson
- Juolevi
- Goldobin
- Gaudette
- Gadjovich
- Briesbois
- Lind
- Lockwood
- Diepietro

Murky after that group into:

- Virtanen
- McEwen
- Carcone
- Rathbone
- Chatfield
- Subban
- Palmu

Seems odd to put Virtanen ahead of Gadjovich (for example) who had a superior draft season to Virtanen and doesn't have an abysmal AHL season on his record.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Pettersson
Boeser

Juolevi
Gaudette
Demko
Dahlen

Gold
Lockwood
Briesbois
Gadvodich
Lind

Chatfield
Macewan
Rathbone
Holm
Diepietro
Gunarr
Palmu
Subban
Mceneny

Mckenzie
Arbols
Cassells
Brassard

Virtanen
Petit
Stewart

That's an awful list. It's more like:

Pettersson
Boeser
Demko
Dahlen
Juolevi
Gaudette
Goldobin
Lind
DiPietro
Gadjovich
Subban
Virtanen
Lockwood
Brisebois
Mceneny
Chatfield
Macewan
Rathbone
Holm
Palmu

maaran

Apr 17, 2017
Canada
Pettersson
Boeser

Juolevi
Gaudette
Demko
Dahlen

Gold
Lockwood
Briesbois
Gadvodich
Lind

Chatfield
Macewan
Rathbone
Holm
Diepietro
Gunarr
Palmu
Subban
Mceneny

Mckenzie
Arbols
Cassells
Brassard

Virtanen
Petit
Stewart

Can u please explain to me how Virtanen is worse than Abols? Virtanen is in the Palmu tier.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Zack MacEwan.

Would have MacEwan, Lockwood, and Gadjovich all ahead of Lind.

wut

The other two, you could make a case for. MacEwan I have no clue. Guy is 21 and yet to play an AHL game. Unless he is immediately a near point-per-game guy in Utica, I don't see much of a future for him.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
My list so far:

1) Boeser
2) Pettersson
3) Dahlen (i started saying we should draft Pettersson after watching them play together a bit... aka after the deadline)
4) Juolevi
5) Demko (value goalie a bit lower than majority of the forum i guess)
6) Goldobin
7) Gaudatte
8) Lind
9) Gadjovich
10) Lockwood
11) Brisebois
12) Probably Subban tho haven't made up my mind yet

Of course sinve Virtanen won @ 8, it means my voting will end up at least my rank +1. :laugh:

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki

Pettersson
Boeser
Demko
Dahlen
Juolevi
Gaudette
Goldobin
Lind
DiPietro
Gadjovich
Subban
Virtanen
Lockwood
Brisebois
Mceneny
Chatfield
Macewan
Rathbone
Holm
Palmu

Chris ... i enjoy your company (been a while though) but we usually agree to disagree. But While i had virts a couple of spots higher than u, i pretty much think u are spot on on this list. Congrats.

Mr Plow

Apr 15, 2016
i'm really high on lockwood, thus, voted for him.

Same. He has great speed, non stop motor, hits lots, wins puck battles and can score a bit. Last year he was taken 65th overall and since then he's shown he can be a top offensive contributor on his NCAA team. He has a very realistic path to the NHL compared to prospects like Linden Vey whose entire contribution revolves around scoring.

I think out of everyone left he's the safest bet to make the NHL and has a comparable upside to everyone except for DiPietro.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014

Pettersson
Boeser
Demko
Dahlen
Juolevi
Gaudette
Goldobin
Lind
DiPietro
Gadjovich
Subban
Virtanen
Lockwood
Brisebois
Mceneny
Chatfield
Macewan
Rathbone
Holm
Palmu

Awful how lol? Its pretty much the same as yours lol at least the top end is similar wich is FAR more important anyways

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
A lot of people underratting Subban. Hopefully he gets to show us what he can do this year in Camp. To be honest I'm expecting Subban to make this team.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C

Pettersson
Boeser
Demko
Dahlen
Juolevi
Gaudette
Goldobin
Lind
DiPietro
Gadjovich
Subban
Virtanen
Lockwood
Brisebois
Mceneny
Chatfield
Macewan
Rathbone
Holm
Palmu

Agree with this list. Boeser could easily be switched with Petterson and I would put Dahlen ahead of Demko just because I don't value the goalie position as much. In terms of impact, I'm sure Demko would be up there.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
A lot of people underratting Subban. Hopefully he gets to show us what he can do this year in Camp. To be honest I'm expecting Subban to make this team.

Its possible tho unless he makes it into the top 6, it makes more sense for him to start in Utica. Pending an injury, i don't think there's any competition for our top 3 RHD...

You have Tanev who's a lock unless he's hurt/traded. Stecher is a lock and Gudbranson is a lock too (assuming he is 100%). If Subban is the 4th RHD, it makes more sense for him to actually start in Utica and play since he doesn't need to clear waivers. He needs to beat Biega for the role (and regardless its likely Biega stays in Vancouver just because he needs to clear waivers).

I do expect Subban to make his NHL debut this season but i'm not sure how many games he'll play or if he'll be a regular. Also Holm is a mystery so he could drop Subban farther on the depth chart.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
I like Subban and have been rooting for him hard.

But last season was disappointing. Putting up 36 points as an AHL rookie is great. Doing the same thing the next year is meh.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
I like Subban and have been rooting for him hard.

But last season was disappointing. Putting up 36 points as an AHL rookie is great. Doing the same thing the next year is meh.

To be fair there were some improvements.

In terms of scoring, remember Utica scored 224 goals in '15-16 vs 195 in '16-17 so there was a drop in offense. That means less opportunity for assists if others aren't finishing for you. Also Subban actually increased his goal total from 11 to 16... 16 is actually pretty impressive for a D.

Just for reference, 16 goals actually puts Subban 4th in terms of D. All 3 D above him are 27+ with TJ Brennan leading the way (21g).

Of course scoring doesn't account for his defensive lapse... often resulting in high quality scoring chances for the other team. Also the stat is skewed a bit by the fact he scored 10 PPG (vs 3 the year before, thats 3rd behind Brennan's 12). That means only 6 of his goals came during ES.

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
I'd be shocked if Subban is ever anything more than a 7th dman in the NHL, even that would be a massive success.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad