Vancouver/Edinburgh
POLL #4 (161 total votes)
Thatcher Demko - 100 votes
Jonathan Dahlen - 53 votes
Adam Gaudette - 4 votes
Nikolay Goldobin - 2 votes
Guillaume Brisebois - 1 vote
Jake Virtanen - 1 vote

Rank | Player | POS | 2016/17 Team | HT | WT | DOB | Drafted/Acquired | 2016 Rank | Poll% (Tot.)
1|Brock Boeser|RW|Vancouver (NHL)/Univ. of North Dakota (NCAA)|6.01|192|Feb 25 1997|23rd (2015)|1 (-)| 48.2%(166)
2|Elias Pettersson|C/LW|Timra IK (Allsve.)|6.02|165|Nov 12 1998|5th (2017)|NEW| 89.33%(150)
3|Olli Juolevi|D|London (OHL)|6.03|187|May 5 1998|5th (2016)|2 (-1)| 64.44%(180)
4|Thatcher Demko|G|Utica (AHL)|6.04|192|Dec 8 1995|36th (2014)|3rd (-1)| 62.11%(161)

thatcher_demko_vancouver.jpg

4. Thatcher Demko
2016/17 season: Utica - 22-17-1 2.68GAA .907SP 2SO

- Demko shines in AHL, won't be in NHL in 2017

- The Province Canuck prospect profile - Thatcher Demko

Eligible prospects
Rodrigo Abols
Brock Boeser
Matthew Brassard
Guillaume Brisebois
Cole Candella
Michael Carcone
Cole Cassels
Anton Cederholm
Jalen Chatfield
Jonathan Dahlen
Thatcher Demko
Michael DiPietro
Jonah Gadjovich
Adam Gaudette
Nikolay Goldobin
Kristoffer Gunnarsson
Philip Holm
Lukas Jasek
Olli Juolevi
Joseph LaBate
Yan-Pavel Laplante
Kole Lind
William Lockwood
Zack MacEwen
Evan McEneny
Brett McKenzie
Griffen Molino
Petrus Palmu
Andrey Pedan
Elias Pettersson
Jack Rathbone
Ashton Sautner
Mackenzie Stewart
Jakub Stukel
Jordan Subban
Jake Virtanen
Dmitri Zhukenov

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
The next set is going to be much harder. DiPietro, Lind, Gadjovich, Goldobin, Virtanen, and Gaudette are a cut below. Highest ceiling is DiPietro, but also the lowest floor. We are really thin on D prospects.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Dahlen again... been voting for him since #3... lol

This looks like a runaway win for Dahlen.Next one should be pretty close.

Not sure about that. Goldobin had close to a PPG season last year (AHL rookie)... don't think we have anyone else who can make a similar claim. After that its really a toss-up.

Southern_Canuck

Sep 13, 2004
Hmmm - the way I see it, it would be a tight vote for #6 between Brisebois, Goldobin, and Gaudette...

Brisebois - has to make the jump to pro, however has been relied on in junior for shut-down assignments, and been selected captain on two teams.
Goldobin - I'm not very confident he will be able to provide a 2-way game, however it is possible with his offensive skill that he could become a top 6 winger
Gaudette - If he continues to improve in NCAA, he has at least 3rd line center potential

Then I see a bigger group with Lind, Gadjovich, Lockwood, Rathbone, Molino, Chatfield, DiPietro - and where do Subban and Virtanen slot in?

S_C

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
After whats happend today people gotta see this should of been Gaudette a couple a times ago

:yo:

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
Hmmm - the way I see it, it would be a tight vote for #6 between Brisebois, Goldobin, and Gaudette...

Brisebois - has to make the jump to pro, however has been relied on in junior for shut-down assignments, and been selected captain on two teams.
Goldobin - I'm not very confident he will be able to provide a 2-way game, however it is possible with his offensive skill that he could become a top 6 winger
Gaudette - If he continues to improve in NCAA, he has at least 3rd line center potential

Then I see a bigger group with Lind, Gadjovich, Lockwood, Rathbone, Molino, Chatfield, DiPietro - and where do Subban and Virtanen slot in?

S_C

Subban does not even rate for me. No chance he ever gets a shot in Vancouver. He is a Steve Kariya. Fun to watch and you root for them, but a 1 in 50 shot. Gadjovich is a 1 in 2 shot to make the NHL IMO.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Subban does not even rate for me. No chance he ever gets a shot in Vancouver. He is a Steve Kariya. Fun to watch and you root for them, but a 1 in 50 shot. Gadjovich is a 1 in 2 shot to make the NHL IMO.

I've given up on the hope of Subban. Players keep getting signed (Holm etc) and drafted (Juolevi etc) before Subban ever gets a chance. I think the Subban ship has long sailed away now.

WonderTwinsUnite

May 28, 2007
BC
I've given up on the hope of Subban. Players keep getting signed (Holm etc) and drafted (Juolevi etc) before Subban ever gets a chance. I think the Subban ship has long sailed away now.

If he doesn't get at least a cup of coffee this year, I would agree. With Green, a guy for whom Subban has scored at a ~45 point pace for the past two years, at the helm, I have to think he should be Subban's biggest proponent.

If Green doesn't fight for him, nobody will.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
If he doesn't get at least a cup of coffee this year, I would agree. With Green, a guy for whom Subban has scored at a ~45 point pace for the past two years, at the helm, I have to think he should be Subban's biggest proponent.

If Green doesn't fight for him, nobody will.

Yeah this is likely his last shot otherwise I think the Subban hype is all but over. Canucks have 8 NHL defensemen signed and that's not including Holm.

Good luck to Subban.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
this comes up every year and its equally nonsensical every year

How is it nonsensical?

Goldobin was PPG in the AHL. Saying a prospect is more NHL ready just means that there is a larger sample size, with different leagues involved (AHL), that indicate that they are ready to make the jump.

Shinkaruk was a prospect that would be at the top of these lists, and look how he is developing now. Potential only goes so far, sample size is huge for determining the quality of a prospect.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
How is it nonsensical?

Goldobin was PPG in the AHL. Saying a prospect is more NHL ready just means that there is a larger sample size, with different leagues involved (AHL), that indicate that they are ready to make the jump.

Shinkaruk was a prospect that would be at the top of these lists, and look how he is developing now. Potential only goes so far, sample size is huge for determining the quality of a prospect.

Although i agree that Goldobin will likely see the NHL ice (again) before most other prospects (except Boeser maybe), i don't see him as the most NHL ready. It really depends on how you define NHL ready... Goldobin is ready offensively but defensively he's still a mess. If you want to consider who's more ready in terms of overall/complete game, its probably Gaudatte (tho no chance he sees regular season time until at least next March).

He has a complete 2 way game, although not the same offensive talent as Boeser/Goldobin. He would not be a liability on the ice like Goldobin was and likely will be at the start of next season. That liability is something he could work on in Utica (and was the main reason he was in the AHL instead of SJ last season).

That isn't to say he won't get called up when an offensive player gets hurt or if we need scoring. It just means he might not be as NHL ready as you might think and its quite possible other prospects (Gaudatee/Boeser/Dahlen/etc) becomes NHL regular before him. Not like we haven't seen offensively gifted offensive prospects stuck in the AHL for an extended period because their defensive game just hasn't developed the way the team has hoped. We witness a couple in Jensen/HS (both of whom were still in the AHL last season). You can even put Grenier in the same boat (although without the draft status, he is a skilled big forward who still hasn't made it despite his offensive talents).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad