Injury Report: Canucks 2017-2018 Injury Thread

drax0s

Mar 18, 2014
Vancouver, BC.
I assume the stretcher was brought into the dressing room, because there was something that cast doubt on their initial assessment? Why else bring a stretcher in?

To me, if you're soon after bringing a stretcher in to take a player to the hospital, in retrospect, probably should have had the player in a stretcher taken to the hospital right away. There are times to be on the side of caution... and to me, this felt like one of those times.
Maybe? You're assuming the stretcher was called to keep him from doing further damage to the area which might not be accurate. It's probably a pretty damn painful injury so maybe they did it to minimize the pain? A stretcher seems like the best way to get him out of the building - you're not going to put him on crutches or a wheelchair if it hurts for him to even stand.

Reading a very cursory bit at lunch about EMS procedure and they might(?) have actually followed proper procedure. Re-watching the video, they look to assess him without moving for about 30 seconds before they roll him over (off camera). I guess they've ruled out spinal damage here, being that he's moving his arms and legs (as well as being aware and not reporting feeling any numbness or neck pain). Once he's on his back there's a continued assessment for at least another minute where they localize in on the area above the pelvis where they try to check under his equipment.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
The reason for saying non-structural is obvious to me:

1) that's the truth for this type of injury
2) as soon as they say fracture people are going to scream about how it was treated so they try to nip it in the bud
3) indicates it's not a serious injury

Hasn't prevented every complaint but it's reasonable and, dare I say, the PR team did a good job on that statement.

Why the stretcher? Speaking as someone who has been in a position with an injury that didn't "need" a stretcher (back issue) it's often convenient and alleviates unnecessary pain prior to complete diagnosis.

Keep in mind that this is literally an injury that usually occurs WITHOUT an impact from what I understand. Simply twisting or bending suddenly can do it.

Reactions: Nomobo

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Sounds as if Green is aware of all the medical experts on social media

Green praises #Canucks medical staff and their treatment of Brock Boeser : “The real doctors were on the ice, and I’ve got a lot of faith in those guys. They’re best of the best. They went protocol all the way and did a good job with it.”

Reactions: Nomobo

jd22

Aug 16, 2008
Texel, Netherlands
Sounds as if Green is aware of all the medical experts on social media

Green praises #Canucks medical staff and their treatment of Brock Boeser : “The real doctors were on the ice, and I’ve got a lot of faith in those guys. They’re best of the best. They went protocol all the way and did a good job with it.”

They really didn't, though. Assuming that athletes are governed by the same WorkSafe BC regulations as everyone else (while playing in BC) - and I can't see why they wouldn't be - a spinal impact is automatically into c-spine control until it can be ruled out. Which takes longer than the team doctors did.

That could very easily have ended up far worse than it was.

drax0s

Mar 18, 2014
Vancouver, BC.
The drama queens are out in full force again.
Naw man, we're being lied to by everyone in the Canucks org!

bY5xRrz.jpg

Reactions: Mudshark50

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Overlooking many real medical experts coming out and saying spineboards are not always required and in fact can cause more harm then good with some back injuries.

At any rate, Brock will live, he walked out of the hospital, is resting st home, and will be pretty fully recovered in a month and a half. About the same as a broken rib.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Overlooking many real medical experts coming out and saying spineboards are not always required and in fact can cause more harm then good with some back injuries.

At any rate, Brock will live, he walked out of the hospital, is resting st home, and will be pretty fully recovered in a month and a half. About the same as a broken rib.
Accept its his back which is WAY more worrying

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Why is everyone that thought it might be a back injury at the time of the incident taking flak now? I'm not sure I understand how player safety issues fall into the factional infighting around here anyway...

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Maybe? You're assuming the stretcher was called to keep him from doing further damage to the area which might not be accurate. It's probably a pretty damn painful injury so maybe they did it to minimize the pain? A stretcher seems like the best way to get him out of the building - you're not going to put him on crutches or a wheelchair if it hurts for him to even stand.

Reading a very cursory bit at lunch about EMS procedure and they might(?) have actually followed proper procedure. Re-watching the video, they look to assess him without moving for about 30 seconds before they roll him over (off camera). I guess they've ruled out spinal damage here, being that he's moving his arms and legs (as well as being aware and not reporting feeling any numbness or neck pain). Once he's on his back there's a continued assessment for at least another minute where they localize in on the area above the pelvis where they try to check under his equipment.

Hey, great. I did a 2 second google search on suspected spinal injuries and it confirmed my very basic industrial first aid training in that the proper procedure is to immobilize the patient. There's no way they could have ruled out spinal damage after 30 seconds (seeing as how hey, whattayano, there actually f***ing is spinal damage in this case) and there's no way you can rely on Boeser to self-report pain levels while still coasting on adrenaline. That's utterly negligent.

I just don't understand why certain people don't think the team medical staff shouldn't have taken every precaution, and not just because Boeser is head and shoulders the best player on the team. It's just basic first aid: if you even suspect a spinal injury, you DO NOT MOVE the patient. Moving him might have exacerbated the injury or potentially paralyzed him depending on what the injury was. Oh, it only turned out to be a fractured transverse process. It's not like they bloody knew that at the time, is it? I mean, this is basic player safety here. I've heard people moaning about how the "toxic" fans and media stop FA signings...what do you think this incident says? Or Rodin's knee? Or Hodgson's back? Or Raymond's BROKEN BACK they didn't get a stretcher for either?

And I'd like to ask the too cool for school kids sneering at the "drama" what actually does qualify as something worthy of getting upset about if not the team's best player breaking a bone in his back and the team's medical staff not even bothering to get a stretcher out for him? Three solid years in the basement isn't enough, a gm who's allergic to draft picks isn't enough, Boeser going down like this isn't enough...yeah, total apathy is so cool.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Hey, great. I did a 2 second google search on suspected spinal injuries and it confirmed my very basic industrial first aid training in that the proper procedure is to immobilize the patient. There's no way they could have ruled out spinal damage after 30 seconds (seeing as how hey, whattayano, there actually ****ing is spinal damage in this case) and there's no way you can rely on Boeser to self-report pain levels while still coasting on adrenaline. That's utterly negligent.

I just don't understand why certain people don't think the team medical staff shouldn't have taken every precaution, and not just because Boeser is head and shoulders the best player on the team. It's just basic first aid: if you even suspect a spinal injury, you DO NOT MOVE the patient. Moving him might have exacerbated the injury or potentially paralyzed him depending on what the injury was. Oh, it only turned out to be a fractured transverse process. It's not like they bloody knew that at the time, is it? I mean, this is basic player safety here. I've heard people moaning about how the "toxic" fans and media stop FA signings...what do you think this incident says? Or Rodin's knee? Or Hodgson's back? Or Raymond's BROKEN BACK they didn't get a stretcher for either?

And I'd like to ask the too cool for school kids sneering at the "drama" what actually does qualify as something worthy of getting upset about if not the team's best player breaking a bone in his back and the team's medical staff not even bothering to get a stretcher out for him? Three solid years in the basement isn't enough, a gm who's allergic to draft picks isn't enough, Boeser going down like this isn't enough...yeah, total apathy is so cool.

What I don't understand is the hostility over suggesting the safety first approach, some of the most bizarre behavior I've seen here.

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
And here you are to calm us all down. How...soothing. Pretty easy to act cool when opinions are never posted.

I’m sure proper protocol was followed last night, didn’t see any reason to panic. I trust the professionals on the Canucks medical staff.
After awhile, one becomes kind of immune to the overreaction and hyperbole on hfcanucks.
I have stated my opinions many times, often met with mockery or outright hostility so I don’t often post anymore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->