Injury Report: Canucks 2017-2018 Injury Thread

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Do you know why people get put on strechers? Its so they dont cause further damage.

Youd think you wanna strecher someone whos is wearing skates and is on 1 leg w. A broke back no ??

This is not an injury that required a stretcher, it's been proven in other instances of this injury.

The staff determined at the time that it didn't require a stretcher and it seems like they were correct based on the actual injury. They are professionals that can diagnose injuries extremely quickly.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
lumbar.jpg

canwincup

Aug 28, 2008
Van city
If I’m not mistaken it’s the same injury Derek Carr suffered this year, and Tony Romo the year before.

Back injuries are scary but I think Boeser will have a pretty quick recovery. Shut him down for the year and let him rest up for next year

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
This is not an injury that required a stretcher, it's been proven in other instances of this injury.

The staff determined at the time that it didn't require a stretcher and it seems like they were correct based on the actual injury. They are professionals that can diagnose injuries extremely quickly.

There is ZERO chance, No Way did Sanderson know exactly what Boesers injury was at the time.

All the facts he had was Boeser was face down motionless for a few seconds after an injury to the spine or back.

Sanderson should have called for the strecher and stopped trying to play Doctor which he isnt.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
There is ZERO chance, No Way did Sanderson know exactly what Boesers injury was at the time.

All the facts he had was Boeser was face down motionless for a few seconds after an injury to the spine or back.

Sanderson should have called for the strecher and stopped trying to play Doctor which he isnt.

Good stuff.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
If I’m not mistaken it’s the same injury Derek Carr suffered this year, and Tony Romo the year before.

Back injuries are scary but I think Boeser will have a pretty quick recovery. Shut him down for the year and let him rest up for next year

yes it is the same injury and both players walked off the field

Nick1219

Mar 15, 2012

Really? So what you're saying is that Boeser lost his sense of touch, feel, and ability to speak. Those are all pretty important things when diagnosing an injury. He had the luxury of those things. You were diagnosing an injury from your couch with a beer in your hand.

Sanderson is a professional athletic trainer. He diagnosed the injury and was correct that he didn't need a stretcher. Why people are on some sort of witch hunt for him is beyond me.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Really? So what you're saying is that Boeser lost his sense of touch, feel, and ability to speak. Those are all pretty important things when diagnosing an injury. He had the luxury of those things. You were diagnosing an injury from your couch with a beer in your hand.

Sanderson is a professional athletic trainer. He diagnosed the injury and was correct that he didn't need a stretcher. Why people are on some sort of witch hunt for him is beyond me.

Adrenaline and pride take over an athlete during an injury. Nobody wants to get strechered off.

Mason Raymond didnt lose his ability to speak either during his injury ??

Whi did Boeser get Strechered to the ambulance from the dressing room ?? Precautionary reasons !!

Same reason he should have been strechered off the ice ? Just in case Sanderson didnt get the full severity of injury !

Im 100% on board for canning him for this and the many continous disasters that seem to only happen to Canucks.

Reactions: Eddy Punch Clock

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017

Clearly Brock couldnt feel or move his left leg even though there was no physical contact on it.

Did Sanderson miss that w his assesment ?

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i do agree it looked odd and the outcome makes it seem odder. but their were lots of medical professionals watching that game so i assume if it was offside we will hear from them. i have no idea what training canuck staff have to assess that kind of injury or what protocols they were following. i am not going to prejudge.

and keep in mind the strict junior sport injury protocols are to protect athletes from injury assessments by folks with limited training. they are not strictly necessary if the person doing the assessment is qualified.

i have had the experience of parents from another team yelling obscenities at one of our team parents who was a doctor assessing one of our injured athletes who then let the athlete get up after a hard impact. they didn't know he was a doctor. they just knew protocol.

i've seen the same doctor waived away from an athlete by a opposing coach who insisted on following protocol and relying on a volunteer with basic first aid instead.

those same parents and coaches wouldn't blink an eye if the same doctor while wearing a stethoscope let the same athlete try to get up off a backboard 50 feet away from the injury after doing the exact same assessment.

drax0s

Mar 18, 2014
Vancouver, BC.
It's interesting in that there are a number of studies out there that seem to indicate cervical collars and spine boards don't actually help much and may actually delay medical care and even make things worse. Search in the nih.gov site for articles about spine boards, but here's an example.

Development of a new Emergency Medicine Spinal Immobilization Protocol for trauma patients and a test of applicability by German emergency care providers

"If this examination yields no pathological findings, the patient should be asked to actively turn the head 45° to both left and right side (Fig. 1). If this motion of the cervical spine is also possible without pain, immobilization is not necessary (Fig. 1)."

Maybe proper procedure was actually followed.

Reactions: B-rock

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
All the uproar here from armchair doctors is a bit much. Boeser will be 100% healthy and good to go for a full summer of training in May.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
It's interesting in that there are a number of studies out there that seem to indicate cervical collars and spine boards don't actually help much and may actually delay medical care and even make things worse. Search in the nih.gov site for articles about spine boards, but here's an example.

Development of a new Emergency Medicine Spinal Immobilization Protocol for trauma patients and a test of applicability by German emergency care providers

"If this examination yields no pathological findings, the patient should be asked to actively turn the head 45° to both left and right side (Fig. 1). If this motion of the cervical spine is also possible without pain, immobilization is not necessary (Fig. 1)."

Yes, which makes sense from watching contact sports. Generally you see the backboard for upper-back or neck injuries only.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014

Yup easy on the witch hunt. I know we are all disappointed our star rookie had his season ended but shit happens. It was a freak accident because the gate was open. It is a small fracture from which Brock will recover from in 4-6 weeks. I don't think anything the Canucks staff did or didn't do changes that.

brokenhole

Aug 12, 2015
I mentioned it in the other thread, but this injury has happened a bunch of times in football. It sounds like the same injury Tony Romo had vs the Seahawks a few years. It should also be noted that the injury also looked bad at the time, but Romo walked off the field and it's not an injury that required a stretcher. So, people can put down their pitchforks there.

Derek Carr from the Raiders had the same injury last year as well and was back playing within two weeks. He did play pretty bad the rest of the season though and some figured it could be related to him coming back too early. He admitted it probably hurt his play, too. So, I'm glad the Canucks are shutting Boeser down for these meaningless games.
Well the NFL hasn't been a proactive league regarding injuries, basicly rub some dirt on it and get back out and play. Downright triple A level Quackery with CTE.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
All the uproar here from armchair doctors is a bit much. Boeser will be 100% healthy and good to go for a full summer of training in May.
Its been a bad year for injuries,but this year especially..Key thing is...is that Brock Boeser is going to make a full recovery..Charlie McAvoy is out for approximately a month as well,so congratulations to Matthew Barzal on winning the Calder.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Well the NFL hasn't been a proactive league regarding injuries, basicly rub some dirt on it and get back out and play. Downright triple A level Quackery with CTE.

Not really, but.. whatever.

Slapshot_11

Aug 30, 2006
Really hope theres no long term effects with this back injury.... Edler, Hodgson... why do we have terrible luck

Reactions: yvrtojfk

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002

I assume the stretcher was brought into the dressing room, because there was something that cast doubt on their initial assessment? Why else bring a stretcher in?

To me, if you're soon after bringing a stretcher in to take a player to the hospital, in retrospect, probably should have had the player in a stretcher taken to the hospital right away. There are times to be on the side of caution... and to me, this felt like one of those times.

Reactions: Grantham

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad