Post-Game Talk: Canucks 2, Wild 4: Halfway point of the season

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Bender*

If the Canucks miss the playoffs, I really hope Aquilini turfs Gillis. I'd love to see Gilman run the team instead. Gillis has way too much of an ego for my liking.

serge2k

Sep 16, 2006
He was 90th in the league last year, ahead of Perry, Brown, Versteeg, Doan, Backes, Callahan, Jagr, Stastny, Getzlaf, Briere, Roy, M. Richards, Kesler, and a whack of other top 6 players.

This is you stick Perry out on a power play and he will dominate.

Hansen, not so much. This is where the talent gap becomes obvious.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I'm ok with firing the coach but to state that this team is fine and only the coach is the problem is ridiculous.

That's going to be the big problem. Gillis has to make a couple of moves, and then he's almost compelled to give AV a chance to play a few more games to see if the new talent fixes it.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Would you take Hansen over any of the guys you listed?

That's not really the point, is it? The point is that he can be a good Top 6 guy, even if he doesn't play the style that you guys recognize as Top 6.

I don't think anyone is saying that we couldn't use an upgrade. I mostly take issue with pretending like what's there isn't good enough to be doing better than this. It is, it's much better than that. I don't think they would win the SC with this roster (but I didn't think the NJD would get to the final either and it happened), but that's really not the point being made.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site

lol hansen over getzlaf... I think I've seen it all.

The funny thing is they are using even strength points. Maybe there's a reason hansen is not on the pp...

Who wants perry and getzlaf? we have hansen with better EV numbers.

Use less stats, and watch more hockey.

serge2k

Sep 16, 2006
That's not really the point, is it? The point is that he can be a good Top 6 guy, even if he doesn't play the style that you guys recognize as Top 6.

I don't think anyone is saying that we couldn't use an upgrade. I mostly take issue with pretending like what's there isn't good enough to be doing better than this. It is, it's much better than that. I don't think they would win the SC with this roster, but I didn't think the NJD would get to the final either and it happened.

NJD lost.

Last year was the season of the cinderella teams. Not a good year to use as a model.

Hansen isn't a top 6 guy, love the honey badger but he just isn't.

Raymond is.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006

No, because he's not as offensively gifted as any of those guys and can't produce on the PP like they can. But it's ridiculous to argue that he hasn't produced like a decent top 6 forward recently.

GhostofRichardPark

Jun 19, 2011
Victoria
if vancouver loses tuesday, which i think they will. coaches get booted out the door? the next day?

0% chance. The only way AV will not be behind the bench is if he died while choking on a piece of watermelon flavored Hubba Bubba.

Gillis just signed him to an extention and I honestly don't think he has the stones to sack AV so soon. Earliest I see Vignault getting canned is the offseason if we miss the playoffs or bow out in the first round

John Bender*

That's going to be the big problem. Gillis has to make a couple of moves, and then he's almost compelled to give AV a chance to play a few more games to see if the new talent fixes it.
Gillis will just say that the shortened schedule and absence of Kesler is misstating the true ability of the club.

Pseudonymous*

other teams sit their top players, how come the canucks never have, when was the last time a top player sat out?

buffalo sat myers this year.. and they've done it before

why not sit edler?

I remember that brutal year by bieksa, it seemed anytime he was on the ice, there would be a goal against, i dont even recall him being sat out.

John Bender*

0% chance. The only way AV will not be behind the bench is if he died while choking on a piece of watermelon flavored Hubba Bubba.

Gillis just signed him to an extention and I honestly don't think he has the stones to sack AV so soon. Earliest I see Vignault getting canned is the offseason if we miss the playoffs or bow out in the first round

Exactly. Even then.....if the media demands Gillis fire AV, he wont' fire him just to flaunt his power and stroke his ego.

John Bender*

other teams sit their top players, how come the canucks never have, when was the last time a top player sat out?

buffalo sat myers this year.. and they've done it before

why not sit edler?

Edler should be traded. I have thought that for years. He is incredibly overrated.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
lol hansen over getzlaf... I think I've seen it all.

The funny thing is they are using even strength points. Maybe there's a reason hansen is not on the pp...

Who wants perry and getzlaf? we have hansen with better EV numbers.

Use less stats, and watch more hockey.

You might want to watch some hockey other than the Canucks and maybe you'll realize what a top 6 forward normally produces around the league.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
This is you stick Perry out on a power play and he will dominate.

Hansen, not so much. This is where the talent gap becomes obvious.

I don't think that can be argued either. He gets points through speed and hard work but he lacks the creativity and vision you expect from a top 6 player (hence no PP time). He's a great 3rd liner though. I'd love to see what a Higgins+Hansen could do with a quality 3C though. Having a 3rd line that can chip in some multi-point games during the playoffs while being strong defensively is the sort of 3rd line setup that wins playoffs games.

Pseudonymous*

Edler should be traded. I have thought that for years. He is incredibly overrated.

i wouldn't be AGAINST that, he still has a high value. i dont think his back can handle much in terms of consistency when it comes to physicality. and that's when hes really at his best.

John Bender*

same, too inconsistent. plays simply too big of a role, to be so volatile.

Exactly. He does not have any calm in his game and is too erratic to be a number 1/2.

The Canucks defense is full of 3/4's and really no 1/2's. Hamhuis is a quasi-#2, but that's it.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I don't think that can be argued. He gets points through speed and hard work but he lacks creativity. He's a great 3rd liner though. I'd love to see what a Higgins+Hansen could do with a quality 3C though. Having a 3rd line that can chip in some multi-point games during the playoffs while being strong defensively is the sort of 3rd line setup that wins playoffs games.

Ex ****ing actly.

Booth-Kesler-xxxx
Higgins-xxxx-Hansen

GhostofRichardPark

Jun 19, 2011
Victoria
Exactly. Even then.....if the media demands Gillis fire AV, he wont' fire him just to flaunt his power and stroke his ego.

With that being said what are the chances of Aquillini firing both of them? If I were Aquaman I would be livid with the results as of late. I'm a fan and I am fed up with the lack of production....can't imagine being an owner investing hundreds of millions of dollars into the team and seeing the same results

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->