Post-Game Talk: Canucks 1, Ducks 5 to end Sedin Week (Pettersson)

Status
Not open for further replies.

orcatown

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Life without Markstrom. Canucks are very average team without getting incredible goal tending from Markstrom. Lots of defensive breakdowns so not like it's all on Demko but Markstrom somehow stops some of the goals the way he's been playing. Only route to the the playoffs lays thru Markstrom.

Good

Hughes - puck control was outstanding at many times during the game. Best, by far, offensive weapon the team has right now. Him and Tanev had some issues in their end but most of that is Tanev who has really fallen off. Noticed they moved others in Hughes throughout much of the the third.

Myers - not perfect but played physical and moved the puck out of his zone well. Defensively fairly sound and the only d-man to come out even on the plus/minus. Being asked to carry a lot of the defensive play ATM.

MacEwen - little out of control at times but his speed and aggressiveness was impressive. Made some nice setups and came back well on the back check. My fear is that Benning moves him for some like the burnt out Simmonds at the dateline. That would be so typical of Benning's short term, job saving tendencies.

Bad

Stecher - rough game. Making critical mistakes or taking critical penalties that really hurt. Getting tired of Stecher somehow putting the puck in his own end. Needs to play with more control and be less frantic. Anaheim's size gave him problems. Hopefully moved at the deadline so the team gets something for him b/c he will, given his talent level, cost too much going into next season

Benn - too slow. Hard to operate as 5 man unit with him so behind the play

Virtanen -put in a position to something and just didn't. Hasn't done anything for awhile and play most often just vacant-minded. People put on the rose colored glasses with this player b/c they hope so hard that he becomes a decent player but we've seen enough to know he does not and will not get it. Nor does he have that skill to make up for his poor IQ. Should be traded asap if any kind of adequate deal is out there.

Beagle - getting worse. Now not even ok on the PK.

Schaller - anyone thinking Schaller is better than, or has a better future than MacEwen needs to give their head shake. Schaller is definition of a poor scrub/plug. Might ask why the team is willing to fork out good money to this AHLer when for less money they could bring in someone who could at least provide a little toughness.

Roussel - continues to get nothing done and play in his own end is slipping badly

Others

Gaudette - same old story. Shows some good offensive moves and can be dangerous around other team's net but at some time is probably even more dangerous to the team around his own net. Line with him, Sutter and Roussel were -3 and only lucky that number was higher.

Pearson - player that has to play like a top 6 player on this team and certainly wasn't in this one. Play was flat as was Horvat's.

Really a bad day all round for the team

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I guess every team in the league is going to lay an egg like this one once in awhile.....but what's beyond depressing though, is that when Petey is just average; Quinn Hughes doesn't play out of his mind; Boeser is hurt; Miller is hard to find; and Horvat is just meh....there's absolutely nobody at the bottom of the roster capable of picking them up. I mean nobody.

The amount of dollars Canucks have tied up in these kind of players is just like an albatross going forward. Supposedly Benning signed these guys to support the younger players on the roster when the going gets tough. But they're basically invisible, outplayed by a guy from Utica making the league minimum.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Life without Markstrom. Canucks are very average team without getting incredible goal tending from Markstrom. Lots of defensive breakdowns so not like it's all on Demko but Markstrom somehow stops some of the goals the way he's been playing. Only route to the the playoffs lays thru Markstrom.

Good

Hughes - puck control was outstanding at many times during the game. Best, by far, offensive weapon the team has right now. Him and Tanev had some issues in their end but most of that is Tanev who has really fallen off. Noticed they moved others in Hughes throughout much of the the third.

Myers - not perfect but played physical and moved the puck out of his zone well. Defensively fairly sound and the only d-man to come out even on the plus/minus. Being asked to carry a lot of the defensive play ATM.

MacEwen - little out of control at times but his speed and aggressiveness was impressive. Made some nice setups and came back well on the back check. My fear is that Benning moves him for some like the burnt out Simmonds at the dateline. That would be so typical of Benning's short term, job saving tendencies.

Bad

Stecher - rough game. Making critical mistakes or taking critical penalties that really hurt. Getting tired of Stecher somehow putting the puck in his own end. Needs to play with more control and be less frantic. Anaheim's size gave him problems. Hopefully moved at the deadline so the team gets something for him b/c he will, given his talent level, cost too much going into next season

Benn - too slow. Hard to operate as 5 man unit with him so behind the play

Virtanen -put in a position to something and just didn't. Hasn't done anything for awhile and play most often just vacant-minded. People put on the rose colored glasses with this player b/c they hope so hard that he becomes a decent player but we've seen enough to know he does not and will not get it. Nor does he have that skill to make up for his poor IQ. Should be traded asap if any kind of adequate deal is out there.

Beagle - getting worse. Now not even ok on the PK.

Schaller - anyone thinking Schaller is better than, or has a better future than MacEwen needs to give their head shake. Schaller is definition of a poor scrub/plug. Might ask why the team is willing to fork out good money to this AHLer when for less money they could bring in someone who could at least provide a little toughness.

Roussel - continues to get nothing done and play in his own end is slipping badly

Others

Gaudette - same old story. Shows some good offensive moves and can be dangerous around other team's net but at some time is probably even more dangerous to the team around his own net. Line with him, Sutter and Roussel were -3 and only lucky that number was higher.

Pearson - player that has to play like a top 6 player on this team and certainly wasn't in this one. Play was flat as was Horvat's.

Really a bad day all round for the team

Agreed with most of this but the comments on Virtanen are highly unfair.

He hasn’t had a good last 5 games or so but immediately before that rattled off a stretch of 22 points in 26 games. Is on pace for 20+ goals and 45 points from under 13 minutes/game on a small contract and has been terrific value for this team this season, and his play through December-January is one of the bigger bright spots of the season.

Yourwifeson

Dec 19, 2019
For me, I want to see who actually gives a **** more than anything and who floats through a series.
At this point this team needs playoff experience to understand what that next step is and who is going to elevate their game when it matters.
Also, like I said earlier in the thread, I want it to become how obviously bad of a coach Green is. This ****ty defensive play might work during regular season, but it'll get this team torched in the playoffs.
How about experience beating a bottom feeder first lol. Bo at least was in the playoffs and many others on the team. Just hughes, pettersson, brock havent. Maybe the other valuable vets should step the f*** up

Reactions: calnuck

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Totally agree with other posters....when the Canucks get 'average' goaltending, they're an average to slightly 'below average' team. And likely struggling hard to keep the wildcard race in sight.

Without Markstrom performing daily miracles, this team would likely be headed for the lottery again. You keep waiting for this team to tighten things up defensively, and eliminate some of those breakaways, eyeball to eyeball scoring chances they give up. But I'm beginning to think this is just what they are. Better pray nothing happens to Markstrom or that his play doesn't slip.

Yourwifeson

Dec 19, 2019
I guess every team in the league is going to lay an egg like this one once in awhile.....but what's beyond depressing though, is that when Petey is just average; Quinn Hughes doesn't play out of his mind; Boeser is hurt; Miller is hard to find; and Horvat is just meh....there's absolutely nobody at the bottom of the roster capable of picking them up. I mean nobody.

The amount of dollars Canucks have tied up in these kind of players is just like an albatross going forward. Supposedly Benning signed these guys to support the younger players on the roster when the going gets tough. But they're basically invisible, outplayed by a guy from Utica making the league minimum.
I feel bad foe Horvat. He carries play in the ozone by himself than gets no support. He needs a winger that can help drive play and maintain pressure

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Totally agree with other posters....when the Canucks get 'average' goaltending, they're an average to slightly 'below average' team. And likely struggling hard to keep the wildcard race in sight.

Without Markstrom performing daily miracles, this team would likely be headed for the lottery again. You keep waiting for this team to tighten things up defensively, and eliminate some of those breakaways, eyeball to eyeball scoring chances they give up. But I'm beginning to think this is just what they are. Better pray nothing happens to Markstrom or that his play doesn't slip.

When Mike Gillis first arrived the first job of order he said was to add support to Luongo because he shouldn't have to carry the team like he did the last 2 years (2007 and 2008 seasons were carried by Luongo)

we shouldn't be doing this to Markstrom, I hope Benning realized that the roster on paper still needs work.

Reactions: geebaan

Yourwifeson

Dec 19, 2019
When Mike Gillis first arrived the first job of order he said was to add support to Luongo because he shouldn't have to carry the team like he did the last 2 years (2007 and 2008 seasons were carried by Luongo)

we shouldn't be doing this to Markstrom, I hope Benning realized that the roster on paper still needs work.
Thats why he gave Myers 6 mill and Benn 2 mill :D

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki

How? We have no money left to spend. Meyers is playing well but $6M? JB repeatedly overpaid for free agents, in particular Beagle, Schaller, Roussel and in particular Eriksson. We need $9-10 M for Tryamkin and Markstrom this summer. Next year likely something like $20 M for EP and QH.

No one is going to take our overpaid crap to relieve this problem. I objected loudly about JT Miller, (I hate giving up 1st round draft picks) but he, QH, Markstrom, Horvat and of course EP are a great core. Virtanen, Pearson, Tanev, Edler, Demko and Meyers are all decent. Heck, even Sutter is nearly worth his contract now.

Between the league screwing us with the Luongo recapture, and JB annual attempt to make the Canucks decent through FA's, we are at the cap. No room to maneuver.

Add Tryamkin and Podkolzin to this roster, and maybe one or two of Madden, Lind, Rathbone or Hoglander, and we are going to have the youngest top core in the league.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Hughes great offensively, leaves a lot to be desired defensively and it’s showing a lot more often now.

Horvat playing like a 3rd line center , all year. We really don’t have a 2nd like Center. Top line center is JT Miller (EP40 doesn’t take faceoffs and is a shooter first). Then we have 3 third like centres in Sutter , Gaudette and Horvat and a fourth like Center in Beagle. Huge gap in the Center of the ice.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
How? We have no money left to spend. Meyers is playing well but $6M? JB repeatedly overpaid for free agents, in particular Beagle, Schaller, Roussel and in particular Eriksson. We need $9-10 M for Tryamkin and Markstrom this summer. Next year likely something like $20 M for EP and QH.

No one is going to take our overpaid crap to relieve this problem. I objected loudly about JT Miller, (I hate giving up 1st round draft picks) but he, QH, Markstrom, Horvat and of course EP are a great core. Virtanen, Pearson, Tanev, Edler, Demko and Meyers are all decent. Heck, even Sutter is nearly worth his contract now.

Between the league screwing us with the Luongo recapture, and JB annual attempt to make the Canucks decent through FA's, we are at the cap. No room to maneuver.

Add Tryamkin and Podkolzin to this roster, and maybe one or two of Madden, Lind, Rathbone or Hoglander, and we are going to have the youngest top core in the league.

lots wrong with this post but I’ll just make 1 comment. The NHL didn’t make us sign Luongo for that long or that much money. This recapture was always a possibility. Need to stop always playing the victim.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
lots wrong with this post but I’ll just make 1 comment. The NHL didn’t make us sign Luongo for that long or that much money. This recapture was always a possibility. Need to stop always playing the victim.
Lot’s wrong with this post but I’ll just make two comments. First the recapture only affected the Canucks and was put in place after the contract was signed. Second, I’m willing to bet that I get more likes than you.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Is that the kind of loss we can expect fir the rest of the season if our goalie doesn’t steal a win?

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
How? We have no money left to spend. Meyers is playing well but $6M? .
He’s played better defensively than I expected. Problem is, nobody is going to confuse him for shutdown D. He’s been a bit better than average defensively but that kind of skill doesn’t warrant six million; not remotely. Especially with a long term deal and NTC along with being 30 years old. He was paid the big bucks for his offense. And when Tanev is out producing you; you’re failing BADLY.

Foundational Player

Benning the Incompetent
Mar 27, 2008
BC

The Colorado Avalanche?

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
This team desperately needs to shed 3-4 of the bottom-end players off the roster.

The best "playoff push" for the team would be to find a way to get rid of Beagle, Eriksson, Schaller, Benn and to clear the Baertschi and Ferland's contracts. Replace all of that with a slew of young, hungry grinders off the waiver wires. We could have a legitimate shot of winning a couple rounds that way.

Obviously Eriksson is going nowhere, but even if they could get rid of Beagle and Schaller it'd be huge.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Benning would win GM of the year by a unanimous vote.

If he can dump all of those guys, or any combination involving Loui Eriksson - sure. But just Schaller and Beagle? Nah.

Schaller should cost nothing to dump as an expiring UFA. Take on a deadweight AHL contract from any non-playoff team.

Beagle - little bit trickier, but I'd hit up the Islanders. On reputation alone, there will be three or four teams interested and that's all you need. Look what Andy Greene just went for.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
If he can dump all of those guys, or any combination involving Loui Eriksson - sure. But just Schaller and Beagle? Nah.

Schaller should cost nothing to dump as an expiring UFA. Take on a deadweight AHL contract from any non-playoff team.

Beagle - little bit trickier, but I'd hit up the Islanders. On reputation alone, there will be three or four teams interested and that's all you need. Look what Andy Greene just went for.
How about being a proactive GM and not sign these cap crippling contracts in the first place?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->