Post-Game Talk: Canucks 1, Ducks 5 to end Sedin Week (Pettersson)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
Man, that Green post-game presser ... is there ever a game where he thinks the team didn’t play well?
I don’t even bother watching the post game pressers. They are predictable and the press core doesn’t dig for answers. Everyone is just happy collecting a paycheque. How many hard hitting questions has he even had to answer? Media has become so soft compared to the 90s.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
I’ll answer all the responses collectively...
I guess the consensus amongst the green critics is that , if they had a different coach, they would be leading the conference !??!?!
Green has some flaws but I am not under the delusion that this team would be any higher up in the standings than they are right now...they’re only 4 or 5 games from leading the conference. He has extracted a lot out of a team made up of skilled but very inexperienced youth and disinterested veterans.

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
Man, that Green post-game presser ... is there ever a game where he thinks the team didn’t play well?

I missed last half of third but honestly they carried most of the play by no means good enough finish but Ducks got lucky played chippy and got away with a win but Canucks have played worse games , that said it's not like Ducks looked good just lucky today.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
This team is going to need help at the deadline, and this afternoon's game a classic example of why they can't stand pat if they're serious about not just making the playoffs, but doing something once they get there.

This may have been a great week for the Sedins and nostalgia, but on the ice, not so much. Markstrom is the only reason they even beat Chicago. All you can hope for, is that Green is far more pointed and direct with players behind closed doors, than he is with the media in those awful post-game pressers.

It's almost as if the Canucks media and PR staff pre-screen the questions, or alternatively, the guys masquerading as sports journalists are under strict orders to lob puff-ball after puff-ball.

Let's face it.....this is as disastrous result on home ice for a team that likes to claim it's in contention for top spot in the Pacific.

Reactions: geebaan

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
This team is going to need help at the deadline, and this afternoon's game a classic example of why they can't stand pat if they're serious about not just making the playoffs, but doing something once they get there.

This may have been a great week for the Sedins and nostalgia, but on the ice, not so much. Markstrom is the only reason they even beat Chicago. All you can hope for, is that Green is far more pointed and direct with players behind closed doors, than he is with the media in those awful post-game pressers.

It's almost as if the Canucks media and PR staff pre-screen the questions, or alternatively, the guys masquerading as sports journalists are under strict orders to lob puff-ball after puff-ball.

Let's face it.....this is as disastrous result on home ice for a team that likes to claim it's in contention for top spot in the Pacific.
What possible targets would you suggest that would fix the deficiencies this team has? I mean, a Blake Coleman tier player would have been great, but would you have given up the futures required for a player of his calibre?

Realistically, Benning probably panic buys Simmonds and a d-man that was highly rated in his draft year but has been a bottom pairing d-man ever since. Two draft picks gone, at the minimum. That's not taking into account the value we need to give up to offload some of our bloat contracts (like Schaller). For a team with glaring holes like this one has, you'd think you'd want to hold on to your futures, rather than trade them away. Especially in a cap crunch. You need good, cheap players on ELCs to come in and contribute, as Benning thought it was wise to lock up so much money in grinders.

SeawaterOnIce

Being invaded again.
Aug 28, 2011
Team has been god awful the last 3 weeks but very hot goaltending has kept them in it...We have 4-6 decent pieces on the team with a whole bunch of crap or players playing way outside of their depth.

The crap are real crap. Beagle, Sutter, Eriksson, Benn, and Schaller have no place on an NHL team in 2020 and their roles can be filled by cheap players on entry level contracts.

Goaltending has masked the fact that this team is a .500 team being propped up by goaltending. Team needs at least 2 top 4 D, 2 more top 6 wingers and a whole new cast of fast skilled bottom 6 forwards.

Losses in 5 of their last 7. Outplayed in all but 1. Team is still headed downhill.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I’m tired of guys with long term contracts not giving a ****. For ****s sake green grow some balls and send a message. The fact Eriksson ****s all over him in the summer and gets rewarded 2nd line ice time makes the room lose all respect for as a coach. Eriksson should’ve been turfed to utica. Beagle and Schaller provide nothing but they are allowed in the lineup because they have green by the balls. Who really is the coach of this team? Sure doesn’t seem like green to me. Might as well just let beagle or Schaller write up the lineup cards.

Most of all...**** you benning. call up anybody from the ahl with a pulse and man up to your horrible contracts. If you don’t have anybody to call up that can be better than that garbage you should probably put in your walking papers. Seriously enough excuses.

LOL

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
UFA after next season though. Seems like a very high price to me.

The value of a cost controlled player playing way above his contract value is worth it for the Lightning who now have him for two playoff drives and adds a fast two way PKer to the mix of an already outstanding 5 on 5 team.

Also, they are an elite team who still have their 1st round pick and more picks this draft that the Canucks.

I think the Lightning should be shopping their own 1st to shore up their defensive depth—they have to push while everyone is in their primes.

Reactions: Pip and wetcoast

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
That contract gave Coleman huge value.

It's almost....as if that's a fantastic reason to actually negotiate contracts for those bottom-6 guys so that cap strapped contenders want to get their hands on them.

Compare that to the litany of overpaid trash on our roster and you wonder why Benning wasn't able to unload a forward this offseason.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Sometimes your GM has to have the nerve of a river-boat gambler. Both Tanev and Markstrom are UFA's at the end of the season....and looking less likely every day that they can re-up either one. They're virtually the only tradeable assets the Canucks have. The rest of the over-paid and under-performing bottom feeders on this roster are basically anvils around the ankles of a downing man. You can't trade 'em and can't buy them out.

It would take a GM with the gonads to pull it off --but one or both of Tanev and Markstrom could bring what the teams needs 'now' as well as assets for next year, when they likely lose both guys for nothing anyway. But based on Jimbo's track record, forget about it.

Reactions: dps and timw33

BerSTUzzi

Jan 24, 2006
Kamloops
I can’t state how much I dislike having Sutter, Schaller and Eriksson on this team. There have been lots of games their uselessness has allowed them to fade into the background but now it just pisses me off. It took Green a full period to realize that #bigfella was playing better than most of the team.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I can’t state how much I dislike having Sutter, Schaller and Eriksson on this team. There have been lots of games their uselessness has allowed them to fade into the background but now it just pisses me off. It took Green a full period to realize that #bigfella was playing better than most of the team.
Sometimes it's almost as if this coach won't play the guys from Utica, because it will only underscore how bad and overpaid are some of the players you've mentioned. It's almost like he knows they're trash, but doesn't want to make the GM bad by having guys like MacEwen or Bailey making the league minimum playing rings around them.

BerSTUzzi

Jan 24, 2006
Kamloops
Sometimes it's almost as if this coach won't play the guys from Utica, because it will only underscore how bad and overpaid are some of the players you've mentioned. It's almost like he knows they're trash, but doesn't want to make the GM bad by having guys like MacEwen or Bailey making the league minimum playing rings around them.

If that is the level of thought Green is putting in then I clearly underestimate him

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
I would have liked to have seen Justin Bailey get a real opportunity on this call up but I didn't have my hopes up.

As we saw again tonight, Greener just seems to have a feeling of comfort and security with big Tim Schaller in the lineup.

Reactions: geebaan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->