'Can't miss' potential

Status
Not open for further replies.

leafaholix*

The Leafs have a few.

Carlo Colaiacovo (will play in the NHL, be it as a top pairing or #5/6 guy)
Alex Steen (if he's not a top 6 forward, he's at worst a 3rd liner)
Dimitri Vorobiev (one of the safest defensemen prospects of the 2004 draft)

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Carl O'Steen said:
The Leafs have a few.

I'm sorry to say but I don't think there has ever been a safe russian dmen from a draft, the guy is decent but odds are he will never make an impact as an NHL defensmen. Hell the Devils have wasted picks on Russian defensmen far too often. I agree with Steen though.

Vic Rattlehead*

Carl O'Steen said:
The Leafs have a few.

Can't you read? The thread is talking about the 2003 draft.

leafaholix*

Jason MacIsaac said:
I'm sorry to say but I don't think there has ever been a safe russian dmen from a draft, the guy is decent but odds are he will never make an impact as an NHL defensmen. Hell the Devils have wasted picks on Russian defensmen far too often. I agree with Steen though.
Vorobiev has all the tools to play in the NHL next season, as a bottom pairing guy. The transition phase may take a while, but he's a safe bet to play in the league at some level in the future.

Steen and Colaiacovo are sure-bets to play in the league at some level. Even if Colaiacovo doesn't reach his potential of a #1 defenseman, he'll play at worst as a second or third pairing guy.

Asiaoil

Vperod Bizona!
May 3, 2002
Visit site
Jason MacIsaac said:
Parise is as safe a prospect as you can get. If he isn't an offensive center he plays as a shutdown defensive center. The guy is intelligent and gritty enough to play any role for a long time.

Ah your "shutdown center" is wearing a -9 .Tell me you are joking here :lol

What's next for you Parise fans - does he turn water into wine on Sundays and cure the blind.

Ovechkinator

Feb 9, 2005
In Ovechkin's world...
Talks about Locke or other guys and still not a post with the name Nathan Horton ?

He is great and will have an excellent-career in the NHL if he can manage to stay healthy the guy is a safe-bet to be a good regular on any NHL team !

He has also untapped offensive potential and I hope that his injuries won't ruin that amazing offensive potential IMO

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Ovechkinator said:
Talks about Locke or other guys and still not a post with the name Nathan Horton ?

He is great and will have an excellent-career in the NHL if he can manage to stay healthy the guy is a safe-bet to be a good regular on any NHL team !

He has also untapped offensive potential and I hope that his injuries won't ruin that amazing offensive potential IMO

Doesnt that automatically take him off any "cant miss" discussion?

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Ovechkinator said:

This alone removes him from "can't-miss" consideration IMO. His injuries are starting to get worrisome and they could have a negative impact on his entire career. He would hardly be the first player of his ilk to have his career ruined by constant injuries.

signalIInoise

killed by signal 2
Feb 25, 2005
Latveria
I'm a Sabres fan, and I think Vanek is very intriguing -- but not "Can't miss". I hope like hell he doesn't miss. ;)

The one guy in the first round I'm rock-solid sure of is Ryan Kesler (Canucks). He's not gonna put up Zherdev numbers, but I think he's got the best chance to be a long-term impact player.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Epsilon said:
Hah, not only did we both post the same thing at the same time, we both bolded the exact same part of his post. :D

start Dude Where's My Car quote:

Stop copying us......Stop copying us....Stop copying US

end Dude Where's My Car quote

Ovechkinator

Feb 9, 2005
In Ovechkin's world...
Epsilon said:
Hah, not only did we both post the same thing at the same time, we both bolded the exact same part of his post. :D

Good call guys and that's why I noticed the point at first, 'cause I really think it's the only argument that have kept him out of the subject before I brought him !

If we had to talk about "Can't miss of 2003", I think that Zherdev, Staal, Phaneuf and Bergeron are the clear-cut winners !

Gardebut30

Jun 8, 2004
Carl O'Steen said:
Vorobiev has all the tools to play in the NHL next season, as a bottom pairing guy.

not saying your wrong, but what leads you to believe this. i haven't read much on him and what i have doesn't suggest he can step into the nhl next season. is this based on personal opinion, have you seen him play, just read reports on him? please do explain. not discrediting you, just was surprised to hear he could come in next year.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Asiaoil said:
Ah your "shutdown center" is wearing a -9 .Tell me you are joking here :lol

What's next for you Parise fans - does he turn water into wine on Sundays and cure the blind.
Parise played with two of the worse defenisve wingers Albany has with Suglobov and Voros for the first chunk of the year and his defense has sucked. Only a complete moron would deny Parise is an excellent defensive center just by looking at the +- stats. I guess Locke is better defensivly then Parise?

I guess you forgot the job he did at the WJC last year, not one even strength goal allowed and USA had the best PK in the tourney with Parise as the #1 PK'er.

MePutPuckInNet

Jan 1, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
Well.....I'm sure this is gonna get me flamed, but gonna say it anyway. I think Patrick O'Sullivan is a "can't miss" kind of guy.

He's got world class skills.....and.....he's got world class stubborness and determination.

leafaholix*

gardebut30 said:
not saying your wrong, but what leads you to believe this. i haven't read much on him and what i have doesn't suggest he can step into the nhl next season. is this based on personal opinion, have you seen him play, just read reports on him? please do explain. not discrediting you, just was surprised to hear he could come in next year.
I have seen him play, he's a steady player. Nothing special, but a guy that may develop into a solid #4 down the road.

Big, strong, good skater, great shot and accuracy from the point, consistent, mean, positionally sound. Vorobiev is 19 and he's playing as a top 2 or 3 defenseman on Lada in the Russian Super League. He's being used against players like Jaromir Jagr at times, so he's doing very well.

And there was a scouting report out last year saying that he's currently ready to play in the NHL because of his physical presence and positional game.

I'm not expecting him to play in the NHL next season, but if he does, I don't expect him to look terribly out of place on the bottom pairing at age 20.

Hopefully he comes over to the AHL in a couple years.

The Leafs have had good success with European defensemen in the draft.

FacelessButcher

Sep 20, 2003
Edmonton
I'm quite confident in these 6 Dion Phaneuf, Patrice Bergeron, Eric Staal, Ryan Suter, Patrick Eaves and Mike Richards they all show good hockey sense and seem to have most of the faults that you typically see hold prospects back ironed out already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->