Can't have it both ways folks.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
This season has many of the MMGM's at wits end. Everyone was saying how smart we were that we didn't overspend on the UFA market and yet I see many of those same posters saying we should have addressed the issue. I hear some saying Scuderi. Scuderi returned to Pitts for a legit cup contender and I think unless we gave him 7/8mil per season he would not be signing here. We have huge depth at D in terms of prospects but we all know they will make mistakes. Everyone was so enthused about Donovan but everyone went out of their way to rip him a new one as well. I will say we need to bridge the gap between when these kids are ready and what we have on the ice as of now.

Many of us wanted a winger for JT (other then MM). I read numerous complaints about his game (rightly so) from the back end of last season until we traded him. Now every other day there is a Vanek complaint thread which is truly unfair. Many of us wanted to see Strome make the opening day roster. Some of those think he is "wasting away" in Bridgeport. Imagine if he was failing like Donovan? Those same people would have said we "rushed" him. Again, bridging the gap with true NHL players instead of Regin and PMB, but that would take money.

Before Vanek came in, when was the last time we spent real money on any acquisitions? It has been years and many cheap players in between. I really do not believe that we need a "rebuild". I really do believe we need to spend some money to make this team better, but, that has been a achilles heel of this organization for over 20 years now and that is why we can't get over the hump IMHO.

The goalie issue should been addressed, but again, with this defense would it have mattered for this season? I think not getting anyone was a epic fail and I can see the frustrations with this because it could have been addressed via a trade without spending a ton of money.

Before anyone gets in a uproar of thinking this is a way of me defending Snow then you are mislead. I can't assess his job because of the murky circumstances surrounding the endless question that is "what is he allowed to spend". I'm sure if we had a owner who cared about winning I would probably know the answer if Garth is really that bad or is it Wang that's holding us from moving forward.

My analysis is clear that we need to bridge the gap between our prospects and our current NHL team but again, that will take money. We can't have kids learning from other kids. I might be crazy, but I do believe that there is light at the end of this tunnel if we can somehow get Wang to sell. Until then it is what it is.

RMimagery

Jul 22, 2006
Yes, it is what it is - but it shouldn't have been.

All Snow had to do was get one more reliable goalie and at least a #4 D. Instead he unnecessarily brought in Regin and Bouchard which I chastised right away. Strome should've made the team and possibly Lee. You can't tell me that they would've done worse than R and PMB.

The fail of not bringing a G and a D while acquiring two non impact forwards reared it's ugly head when Viz and Nabby went out. Strait, while unspectacular, can actually defend and is missed. We now have 2 or 3 D that shouldn't be on a NHL team. We didn't have the depth to sustain those injuries. I was happy with Snow going into the off season but he fell flat on his face over the summer by misusing his limited funds.

It's pretty simple but no less tragic.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island

All Snow had to do was get one more reliable goalie and at least a #4 D. Instead he unnecessarily brought in Regin and Bouchard which I chastised right away. Strome should've made the team and possibly Lee. You can't tell me that they would've done worse than R and PMB.

The fail of not bringing a G and a D while acquiring two non impact forwards reared it's ugly head when Viz and Nabby went out. Strait, while unspectacular, can actually defend and is missed. We now have 2 or 3 D that shouldn't be on a NHL team. We didn't have the depth to sustain those injuries. I was happy with Snow going into the off season but he fell flat on his face over the summer by misusing his limited funds.

I can't disagree about the G. We all thought Donovan would be a upgrade and how did that work out? Everybody crapped all over the kid. You are also right about Regin and PMB. Where I think you are wrong is instead of Strome and Lee it should have been some true proven NHL talent and not more Reasoners and Aucoins of the world.

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
Sorry but I think you are boxing with shadows and/or outliers. I don't think any if the opinions you put yourself in opposition to are prevalent.

original islander

Oct 12, 2011

Good analysis. Couldn't agree more. Even with limited funds he could've walked away with Khudobin. Regin wasn't necessary at all because we knew Nelson and Strome were close to being ready.

I have to admit that I was wrong in thinking that Donovan would be able to replace Streit and I thought that Bouchard was a little better than what he is but addressing the goaltending need was a no-brainer.

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
This season has many of the MMGM's at wits end. Everyone was saying how smart we were that we didn't overspend on the UFA market and yet I see many of those same posters saying we should have addressed the issue. I hear some saying Scuderi. Scuderi returned to Pitts for a legit cup contender and I think unless we gave him 7/8mil per season he would not be signing here. We have huge depth at D in terms of prospects but we all know they will make mistakes. Everyone was so enthused about Donovan but everyone went out of their way to rip him a new one as well. I will say we need to bridge the gap between when these kids are ready and what we have on the ice as of now.

Many of us wanted a winger for JT (other then MM). I read numerous complaints about his game (rightly so) from the back end of last season until we traded him. Now every other day there is a Vanek complaint thread which is truly unfair. Many of us wanted to see Strome make the opening day roster. Some of those think he is "wasting away" in Bridgeport. Imagine if he was failing like Donovan? Those same people would have said we "rushed" him. Again, bridging the gap with true NHL players instead of Regin and PMB, but that would take money.

Before Vanek came in, when was the last time we spent real money on any acquisitions? It has been years and many cheap players in between. I really do not believe that we need a "rebuild". I really do believe we need to spend some money to make this team better, but, that has been a achilles heel of this organization for over 20 years now and that is why we can't get over the hump IMHO.

The goalie issue should been addressed, but again, with this defense would it have mattered for this season? I think not getting anyone was a epic fail and I can see the frustrations with this because it could have been addressed via a trade without spending a ton of money.

Before anyone gets in a uproar of thinking this is a way of me defending Snow then you are mislead. I can't assess his job because of the murky circumstances surrounding the endless question that is "what is he allowed to spend". I'm sure if we had a owner who cared about winning I would probably know the answer if Garth is really that bad or is it Wang that's holding us from moving forward.

My analysis is clear that we need to bridge the gap between our prospects and our current NHL team but again, that will take money. We can't have kids learning from other kids. I might be crazy, but I do believe that there is light at the end of this tunnel if we can somehow get Wang to sell. Until then it is what it is.

Great post.

I agree that the "gap" will only be bridged once Wang sells.
And i also believe once in Brooklyn, he will sell.

Until then, i just want Snow to hold onto the kids.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
IDK - I can remember being quite unimpressed with the failure of the summer.

I can state that some of the more vocal pro-Garf's summer moves posters have disappeared like ice in the desert since this season got older. I lolz at them all the time now. When things get better I really can't wait for them to come back talking crap. They are going to get steamrolled.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad