Speculation: Can't believe we traded D Brian Lee for a handful of magic beans

Status
Not open for further replies.

CR15

Feb 15, 2010
Windsor
I remember there being a few ppl in the trade deadline thread who don't suck the teats of Murray and blindly love anything he does say Gilroy is awful wtf are they doing ?

He was in fact awful, if a few anoymous Joe's can see a player is awful and be correct it is worrying that the pro scouts didn't think so.

Regardless im just glad Gilroy is no longer on the team

sens83

Sep 22, 2009
Melbourne, FL
Good Lord, whining about Brian Lee being traded. He couldn't make the lineup with the Sens and you want him back? For why? So he can sit in the press box, or on the bench or play in Bingo? Big deal if he was a first round pick, he didn't pan out with the team.

I'm not saying Gilroy is any great shakes but neither was Lee. It was long past time to get rid of him. JMO.

Lee, play, Bingo? I sat through the "Lee years" in Bingo, i never saw anything that resembled hockey.

Lee and Gilroy do and don't really compare to some of our prospects. Gilroy was all offence, often out of the play and weak defensively. Much like Benoit and Wiercioch
Lee was more defensive and physical like Boro.
I don't know if we are farther ahead without them.

BWWAAAAHHAHAH!!! I literally may have just peed myself.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
I think it's fair to say the trade didn't work out like management wanted, so in that regard, it is fair to criticize Murray for a failed gamble.

But it was the exact same type of late season gamble Murray took on Craig Anderson. We traded a younger pending RFA for an older (but not old) pending UFA. It was an audition to see if they could be a fit long-term. Worked for Anderson, not for Gilroy. And Colorado on the other end, obviously didn't fair well in the exchange taking on Elliot.

Still, I would like to have Lee. He has turned into a solid depth guy. Not a top 4 guy, but an NHLer just the same. Deal worked for Tampa, not us, but still a decent gamble by Murray and I understand why he did it. Losing Lee wasn't the end of the world, as he probably wasn't in the team's long-term plans either. he's been utilized by Tampa, but it's not like their D is awesome.

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
Drafting ain't the same as trading away 1st rounders

Yah, maybe we shouldda picked somebody ahead of Lee. But my beef is with Murray, not the scouting staff. It's the GM who makes the trades (for magic Gilroy beans). It takes a relatively long time for D men to mature and find their game (I'm 52 and still haven't reached my prime yet in the beer league).

So, I'm afraid the GM may decide to make another rash short-run decision to give up solid assets (Ben Bishop, Zibby?) for more magic beans (5th/6th D man)

kyle747

May 10, 2005
Another Brutal trade by Murray. Most of his pro trades are not good. Yes, yes, he's good with assets who haven't hit the NHL yet, but that is only part of a winning formula.

Lee was a good fill-in defenceman for the last 2 years in Ottawa and we let him go for essentially nothing.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
The organization felt that the "Brian Lee Experiment" had run its course. I tend to agree with them.

Are.

We.

Seriously.

Doing.

Another.

Brian.

GODDAMNED.

Lee.

Thread?

zr9U0.gif

WKRYj.gif

Also this.

Kekumba

Jan 24, 2008
Ottawa
Yeah, Murray's totally gonna trade Zibby for a 5-6 d-man. Yep.

Some real gems on the Sens board this week.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I think it's fair to say the trade didn't work out like management wanted, so in that regard, it is fair to criticize Murray for a failed gamble.

But it was the exact same type of late season gamble Murray took on Craig Anderson. We traded a younger pending RFA for an older (but not old) pending UFA. It was an audition to see if they could be a fit long-term. Worked for Anderson, not for Gilroy. And Colorado on the other end, obviously didn't fair well in the exchange taking on Elliot.

Still, I would like to have Lee. He has turned into a solid depth guy. Not a top 4 guy, but an NHLer just the same. Deal worked for Tampa, not us, but still a decent gamble by Murray and I understand why he did it. Losing Lee wasn't the end of the world, as he probably wasn't in the team's long-term plans either. he's been utilized by Tampa, but it's not like their D is awesome.

The fact that they weren't even going to qualify him (and let him go for nothing in the off-season) told me everything I needed to know about Lee and his future with the Sens... Gilroy was just an attempt (that didn't work) to get something valuable for Lee... like a late round pick that you don't need to wait 5 years (and spend time and $) to know if he will pan out.

Yeah, Murray's totally gonna trade Zibby for a 5-6 d-man. Yep.

Some real gems on the Sens board this week.

Hockey is back :laugh:

And damn, I'm still slightly addicted to this board... mostly because of those funny "gems" hehe

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
Another Brutal trade by Murray. Most of his pro trades are not good. Yes, yes, he's good with assets who haven't hit the NHL yet, but that is only part of a winning formula.

Lee was a good fill-in defenceman for the last 2 years in Ottawa and we let him go for essentially nothing.

Am I wrong to assume that Murray is officially trading and drafting based on his pro and scouting teams?

Sure, he hired to those guys but we're talking about a bottom pairing D. I don't see you congratulating Murray for getting a number 1 goalie.

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
So Murray's a genius after all

Yah, he let Kuba and Carkner go, and now somehow we're short on D. Well, I wouldn't be shocked if he gave up Bishop for a 5th/6th D. We'll see...gold for the future or magic beans for this short :amazed:season.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Yah, he let Kuba and Carkner go, and now somehow we're short on D. Well, I wouldn't be shocked if he gave up Bishop for a 5th/6th D. We'll see...gold for the future or magic beans for this short :amazed:season.

The "somehow" we're short on D has a lot to do with Jared Cowen's injury- perhaps you've heard of him. Or perhaps you saw the contracts given to Carkner and Kuba?

I look forward to your 4th post, and beyond.

Indrew

Feb 6, 2007
When the chips are down, there is nobody I'd rather have in my corner than Brian Lee.

Goat Boy

Jun 8, 2011
My interpretation is that Murray just wanted to be rid of him, and took the best offer out there. If the best offer for Lee had been a foam puck, a half-eaten sandwich, and a Vinny Prospal figurine, I imagine Murray would have done that deal, too.

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
My prediction stands

Lee will outperform most Sens D except Karlson, and will have better +/- than plough-horse Chris Phillips

Berserker*

Lee and Gilroy do and don't really compare to some of our prospects. Gilroy was all offence, often out of the play and weak defensively. Much like Benoit and Wiercioch
Lee was more defensive and physical like Boro. I don't know if we are farther ahead without them.

tumblr_mfl2tzQRK61r7fg2wo1_250.gif

Mar 20, 2006
Ottawa
OP has 4 posts, slack given. Please use the handy dandy "SEARCH" feature and you can have your feast full of Brian Leeisms.

TSA0402

Apr 4, 2011
Ottawa
I was one of the biggest supporters of Brian Lee and that he could rebound and be a top 4 d-man.

But talking about beating on a dead horse... its over, Bryan Murray made a bad trade. Move on. However, I wouldnt be shocked if Brian Lee asked for a trade because he wasnt happy being in the AHL.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I would much rather have one of the young guys from Bingo playing this year than Brian Lee. At least we can figure out if they have potential. With Brian Lee, what you saw was what you got - a guy with some limited offensive upside, but who played soft and had zero grit or urgency to his game. He wasn't quite good enough to be on the power play, yet couldn't be relied upon to play a shutdown role either. He is, at best, a 5th or 6th defenceman in the NHL, and for my money I want my 5/6 guys to be physical.

If Tampa Bay goes out and has a great year, with Brian Lee eating a ton of minutes, I'll happily eat my words, but I don't think either of those things are going to happen, especially the second part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad