Canes will attempt to sign(again)Jack Johnson

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Even before Kaberle's injury, the Hurricanes were discussing the possibility at taking another run at Jack Johnson, the Michigan defenseman and third overall draft pick in 2005 who turned down the team's overtures last spring to return for his sophomore season. The courtship will include an overture from Laviolette, who has yet to speak with Johnson.

"It has nothing to do with Frank," Hurricanes general manager Jim Rutherford said. "We talked about it last week as to how we approach this and put that into action
."

http://www.newsobserver.com/796/story/485705.html

Transported Upstater

Interesting.

I still think Johnson with sign with Carolina immediately following the conclusion of his sphomore season at Michigan.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Not a shocker here. It will be interesting to see if Johnson sticks to his guns and remains at Michigan. I have to think this is his last year though.

Transported Upstater

The article indicated Carolina wants Johnson in their line-up ASAP.Not in the spring

I understand that is their intention.

I still believe Johnson will not sign until after his season with UM ends.

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
I understand that is their intention.

I still believe Johnson will not sign until after his season with UM ends.

If I'm Carolina and JJ tells me that he won't sign because he made a committment to Michigan than I'd be upset that he's not with the Canes obviously. However, it does say a lot about the kid that he is loyal to his team now and would be loyal to Carolina once he arrived.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
If I'm Carolina and JJ tells me that he won't sign because he made a committment to Michigan than I'd be upset that he's not with the Canes obviously. However, it does say a lot about the kid that he is loyal to his team now and would be loyal to Carolina once he arrived.

That has been my point the whole time through the trade rumors, Jordan Staal, and the whole, "OMG! He's never going to sign with Carolina trade him!", commentary from people who have doubted the character of this young man.

At the draft, he said he was going to play two years for Michigan and then after that chapter of his life was over he was going to pursue a career with the Carolina Hurricanes. People scoffed at this saying, "Oh, he'll be there when the money is right. Who can turn down the money?", which is the typical angle for people who money is a problem. As far as I can tell, Jack Johnson and his family aren't having a hard time making rent. That puts even less pressure on Johnson to sign away what are the most fun years of his life to this point. Who wouldn't want to be big man on campus for a little while before jumping straight into the scrutiny of playing professional hockey? He has been sitting in the stands watching Michigan since he was a little kid and commited to that school while he was in his second year of high school, and he intends to bring a championship to Michigan, and he has a very good shot this year if he does in fact stay there.

I love the kid, honestly. He has fire, dedication, and makes decisions like a man instead of being told what to do. Many others feel that he's being a baby, but I think just the opposite. Being a man is knowing what is most beneficial for yourself, your family, and your career and I think that he knows the best route to take. One more college season will get him even more ready to dominate the league once he gets here.

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
I love the kid, honestly. He has fire, dedication, and makes decisions like a man instead of being told what to do. Many others feel that he's being a baby, but I think just the opposite. Being a man is knowing what is most beneficial for yourself, your family, and your career and I think that he knows the best route to take. One more college season will get him even more ready to dominate the league once he gets here.

Agree 100%.

Transported Upstater

That has been my point the whole time through the trade rumors, Jordan Staal, and the whole, "OMG! He's never going to sign with Carolina trade him!", commentary from people who have doubted the character of this young man.

At the draft, he said he was going to play two years for Michigan and then after that chapter of his life was over he was going to pursue a career with the Carolina Hurricanes. People scoffed at this saying, "Oh, he'll be there when the money is right. Who can turn down the money?", which is the typical angle for people who money is a problem. As far as I can tell, Jack Johnson and his family aren't having a hard time making rent. That puts even less pressure on Johnson to sign away what are the most fun years of his life to this point. Who wouldn't want to be big man on campus for a little while before jumping straight into the scrutiny of playing professional hockey? He has been sitting in the stands watching Michigan since he was a little kid and commited to that school while he was in his second year of high school, and he intends to bring a championship to Michigan, and he has a very good shot this year if he does in fact stay there.

Fantastic post, and I agree 110%.

jb**

He is going to stay in school for the 4 years and after he graduates he will become an Unrestricted Free Agent after he decides not to sign with Carolina. I think you will see a decent amount of college players doing this and signing with the team of their choice..

DeathFromAbove

Jul 17, 2006
If he doesn't sign, trade him.

He has shown no interest in Carolina and has an attitude that would make McCabe jealous.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site

I'm quoting you because I would pretty much just say the same thing including loving how he handles himself. I actually think that he needs one more year of collage just to get down his positioning. IMO its best to let him do it at that level first.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
He is going to stay in school for the 4 years and after he graduates he will become an Unrestricted Free Agent after he decides not to sign with Carolina. I think you will see a decent amount of college players doing this and signing with the team of their choice..

That would be career suicide. Johnson isn't going to hold out for four years to become a UFA and spurn overtures from the defending Cup champions. Come on now.

jb**

That would be career suicide. Johnson isn't going to hold out for four years to become a UFA and spurn overtures from the defending Cup champions. Come on now.

Why not? What makes you think he wants to play in Carolina? How do you know he doesn’t have his heart set on playing for x team and will wait until he has that opportunity? Maybe he forces Carolina to trade him to x team by telling them he will never sign and the only team I will sign with is x team. Many variables involved.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Why not? What makes you think he wants to play in Carolina? How do you know he doesn’t have his heart set on playing for x team and will wait until he has that opportunity? Maybe he forces Carolina to trade him to x team by telling them he will never sign and the only team I will sign with is x team. Many variables involved.

If players as potentially great as Johnson remain in college hockey too long, their development starts to stagnate. Therefore, his potential shrinks slightly, which means his market value decreases slightly, etc. Throw in a bad attitude, which is what you are describing by pulling a "Lindros" and wanting to be traded to team X, and you have the makings of a bust defense prospect.

I seriously doubt Johnson doesn't want to be a 'Cane. I just think he's pulling a Matt Leinart, and wants one more year in college. That's all. No hidden agendas.

A Good Flying Bird*

I'm not sure what will happen.
I'm not sure how Johnson feels about Carolina.

But I am sure of this: Prior to the draft, I sat down with the four USNTDP players headed to the UofM (Johnson, Mitera, Jason Bailey and the other guy ... oh, and a player named Fardig.)
I asked Johnson a bit about his plans ... During the conversation he said "My goal is to win four national championships at Michigan."

I said, "unless you get offered millions to play in the NHL, right?"

He said, "No. My goal is to win four national championships at UofM'

Now, obviously, UofM didn't win it last year. So that goal is out the window.
But what's his new goal???

I know that this kid has been committed to the UofM for a long time. I know he enjoys life in Ann Arbor.
Maybe he wants to do the four full years at UofM.

And """IF"""" he does, then WHY SHOULDN'T he become a UFA and sign whereever he wants?

He might want to play in Detroit. Or maybe Minnesota. Or maybe he wants to play with his good friend in Pittsburg.

Or maybe he wants to sign right now with Carolina.

Who knows?

But I don't think people should discount other possibilities just because they're a little out of the ordinary. I mean, it does seem strange to turn down instant money and risk injury at college playing for little more than a scholarship.
But JJ does things a little differently from most. He's got a lot of support from his family. And he seems like a headstrong kid.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site

Yeah, there is one problem with that though. The new CBA would only allow him to sign an entry level contract if he did that upon coming into the league. That means he would be restricted to the same terms that an 18 year old would be in terms of financial compensation. He wouldn't go to the highest bidder. At 24 years old, a defenseman of Jack Johnson's potential could be making serious bank. Do you really think he would give up four years of his NHL career, four years of getting paid top restricted free agent money, and all of his positive reputation simply because he didn't want to play for Carolina, which is complete and total speculation? Of course, because nobody could possibly want to play for Carolina right? With Eric Staal, Justin Williams, Erik Cole, Cam Ward, and a Stanley Cup. Nah, who wants to go to that hole.

If you start to see a lot of college players doing this, then you need to drug test them all because they would all be throwing away millions of dollars with both hands.

Edit: Also worth mentioning is the fact that he has met with Carolina officials on at least FOUR seperate occasions to discuss turning pro. If he wasn't interested in the team, the team would know by now. If he wanted a trade, he would be Pittsburgh property right now with his buddy Sidney Crosby. The fact that he's still a Hurricane at this point gives me an indication of the kind of things that he's saying in these meetings with Carolina, and it's not "I'm not going to play for your franchise", because if it was we sure could use him in a deal right now for an established NHL defenseman.

A Good Flying Bird*

Yeah, there is one problem with that though. The new CBA would only allow him to sign an entry level contract if he did that upon coming into the league. That means he would be restricted to the same terms that an 18 year old would be in terms of financial compensation. He wouldn't go to the highest bidder. At 24 years old, a defenseman of Jack Johnson's potential could be making serious bank. Do you really think he would give up four years of his NHL career, four years of getting paid top restricted free agent money, and all of his positive reputation simply because he didn't want to play for Carolina, which is complete and total speculation? Of course, because nobody could possibly want to play for Carolina right? With Eric Staal, Justin Williams, Erik Cole, Cam Ward, and a Stanley Cup. Nah, who wants to go to that hole.

Wow. You just won the cup. And yet Carolina fans are still so defensive.
I don't think I've seen anyone here suggest that JJ hasn't signed with Carolina because it's, well, Carolina.

If you start to see a lot of college players doing this, then you need to drug test them all because they would all be throwing away millions of dollars with both hands.

Eh. Maybe. Maybe not.
It really depends on the player.
For Johnson, the difference between signing after one year and three years is significant.
For others, guys who were looking at at least two years of NCAA anyway, not so much.
Take a guy like Jack Skille. There's been little talk of him signing with the Hawks.
So after next year, he has only 2 years of college remaining.
Maybe. Just maybe he'd rather become a UFA and sign wherever he wants instead of joining a franchise that has been, for all intents and purposes, a train wreck for 15 years.
Maybe.

Edit: Also worth mentioning is the fact that he has met with Carolina officials on at least FOUR seperate occasions to discuss turning pro. If he wasn't interested in the team, the team would know by now. If he wanted a trade, he would be Pittsburgh property right now with his buddy Sidney Crosby. The fact that he's still a Hurricane at this point gives me an indication of the kind of things that he's saying in these meetings with Carolina, and it's not "I'm not going to play for your franchise", because if it was we sure could use him in a deal right now for an established NHL defenseman.

Maybe. Maybe not.
I think you're probably right, and that JJ has no intent of stiffing the Hurricanes. I'm 90 percent sure you're right.
But the other 10 percent shouldn't be totally sluffed off.

Transported Upstater

I don't think Johnson is avoiding playing for Carolina. I think he simply wants to enjoy playing for a NCAA team he grew up wanting to play for.

*DISCLAIMER: HYPOTHETICAL!!!!*

That said...if he is simply avoiding Carolina, he's an *******. How dare someone refuse to play in the greatest hockey league in the world, making a TON of money, simply because he doesn't want to play in a city? There are thousands upon thousands of hockey players of all ages who would sell their soul to have a tenth of Johnson's talent and to play in the NHL for ANY TEAM.

Avoiding a team because "you don't want to play for them" is so ungrateful, childish, and petty unless there is a very good reason.

hockeyglove

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
He'll sign..........

He might play one more year of college hockey to try for a championship but that would be all. His entire hockey future could be put in jeopardy if he suffered a freak injury or accident. Unfortunately, it does happen and has to be considered. Although he is not in Johnson's calibre, look at Ryan Pottruff. A couple of OHL injuries and Carolina drops him completely. If Johnson is interested in completing his education, he can do that in comfort at the end of his NHL career.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
"He's enrolled in classes, and he's going to play at Michigan this season," the elder Johnson said. "There's no way this kid is going to walk out on his team at the 11th hour. I understand Carolina's position, and he does, too, but he made the commitment to Michigan, he values the Michigan education tremendously and he's looked forward all his life to this.

http://www.newsobserver.com/796/story/485938.html

jb**

Congrats on winning the cup but for the most part this franchise has been a losing franchise. Could be he doesn’t want to play for an up and down type franchise. There are other teams that have a possibly much better future than Carolina. Maybe he wants to play for his hometown team, or toronto, ny, philly were he would make more money in other ventures(marketing, tv, and the like) and have more opportunites. Maybe the Pens like you said. This is not knocking Carolina or saying that players don’t want to play there just throwing some things out there. I know he wouldn’t go to the highest bidder and yes anyone would be crazy to wait until then as the money you lost can’t be made up and like you said is just dumb. However people do certain things and nothing would surprise me at all. The longer it takes the greater the possibility he walks. I would also bet he has an insurance policy that cover shim in case of an injury that would set him financially for the rest of his life.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad