GDT: Canes vs Flames - welcome to hell, Kuzy

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
View attachment 833896

Holy even ice time. When your 3rd pair is this reliable, Slavin/Burns/Skjei/Pesce are practically in cruise control. That's going to be a huge help in the playoffs when every other defensive group in the league is exhausted.
How about aho and svetch with low TOI:

1710125700395.png

htdoc

Oct 30, 2018
Everyone wants your hockey team to have characters…. Kuzy has been worth the trade just for the interview stuff so far…. Sooo hope this keeps up…. He is a journalist dream with his sound bites so far…. And loved his comment about getting Necas goals to help his contract negotiation at the end of the year….. he says the quiet parts out loud :)

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Aho is chasing Dineen in the 3 big offensive categories.

After today’s 3 points

Aho is behind 7 to tie for 3rd in goals, 1 to tie for 4th in assists, and 8 points behind to tie for 3rd in points.

Kind of crazy enough Freddie is 2 wins short of 6th for career wins here. Sadly, the clots may keep him from being only the 5th goalie to have triple digit wins here.

htdoc

Oct 30, 2018
How about aho and svetch with low TOI:

View attachment 833924

Having 4 lines you can throw out there without worry that pull their weight and 3 pairs of dmen that can be put out there equally is a cheat code…. It can’t do anything but help in terms of not being run down to start the playoffs…. And if we are lucky enough to keep advancing once the playoffs start, it gives us huge matchup advantages that we are comfortable throwing guys out there no matter the situation and all our guys are going to be so much fresher late in games not having been forced to play 30 min every game to shelter a weaker bottom part of the lineup and d pairs…. As it gets later and everyone is nursing the bumps and bruises, that can be the difference in series against opponents that don’t have this luxury we have….Very excited about how things have been going and shaping up…. Trying to stay positive about what it could mean…

ETA: look no further than the game today and how much we took advantage of the d pairings on the flames… obviously an extreme example since they have just lost 2 of their top 4 minute eating dmen…. But the players they were forced into putting out there got taken advantage of…. I genuinely feel bad for them…

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
The Canes are a machine. I know the Flames just traded everybody, but good lord…
This was the season where everyone was focused on the playoffs from the get go and it bit them early. We’ve seen flashes of what the team is about all season. Last night was one. This week will be a decent barometer, for the regular season, on our machine like abilities.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
In the first period PP, I saw Kuzy do something that rarely any Canes have done since maybe Weight or Whitney were here. He carried the puck into the zone, but then controlled it going east-west near the blue line waiting for his teammates to get into the zone and set up. TT does this occasionally, but not much as he's more comfortable passing the puck than carrying it. Necas carries it in, but keeps going at speed once he gets it in the zone.

Most everyone else is north-south. Skate it in with speed and drop it back to a trailer or dump and chase.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
In the first period PP, I saw Kuzy do something that rarely any Canes have done since maybe Weight or Whitney were here. He carried the puck into the zone, but then controlled it going east-west near the blue line waiting for his teammates to get into the zone and set up. TT does this occasionally, but not much as he's more comfortable passing the puck than carrying it. Necas carries it in, but keeps going at speed once he gets it in the zone.

Most everyone else is north-south. Skate it in with speed and drop it back to a trailer or dump and chase.
Its funny watching the rest of the team completely unprepared for the level of offensive skill that Kuzy has. He's finding open guys with the pass where getting the puck on their stick was clearly the last thing on their mind and they fumble it. Its like watching children play with a pro where the talent level is just better.

Once they get used to what he can do with the puck, things will get real fun in Raleigh. I'm actually really happy they have him for another year.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Its funny watching the rest of the team completely unprepared for the level of offensive skill that Kuzy has. He's finding open guys with the pass where getting the puck on their stick was clearly the last thing on their mind and they fumble it. Its like watching children play with a pro where the talent level is just better.

Once they get used to what he can do with the puck, things will get real fun in Raleigh. I'm actually really happy they have him for another year.
I didn't see the first game, but in this one, it wasn't just the team being unprepared for his skillset, part of it is timing and getting to know players tendencies. Kuzy made a couple of plays back to the point (I think on the PP) where his pass wasn't where the defenseman was (or where he was going). The timing was off and the players weren't in synch. Same goes with another cross ice pass early in the game as well as few others. That wasn't due to the other players not being ready, it was him not having a feel for where others would be.

The good news is that will come with time and hopefully, for a guy with his skill level, that won't take long.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho

Should have traded for better refereeing at the trade deadline. Dang

Not to suggest the obvious here but could it be the fact that we have one of the best PP% in the league right now? Teams are being more disciplined than they used to be with us? I don't know. I haven't looked at the stats for other teams that have good PPs to compare.

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
Not to suggest the obvious here but could it be the fact that we have one of the best PP% in the league right now? Teams are being more disciplined than they used to be with us? I don't know. I haven't looked at the stats for other teams that have good PPs to compare.
There's been a few games recently that definitely don't support that narrative. The Florida game specifically.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad