GDT: Canes Visit Arizona 9PM EST

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Svechnikov, Aho each tally two goals and an assist in 5-3 win

by Michael Smith @MSmithCanes / CarolinaHurricanes.com
Fueled by four straight goals, including a pair from Andrei Svechnikov, the Carolina Hurricanes rallied past the Arizona Coyotes, 5-3.
In addition to his two goals, Svechnikov added a primary assist, while Sebastian Aho also contributed two goals and an assist. Here are five takeaways from the second game of the Canes' road trip.
The Hurricanes, to a man, did not have the desperation necessary to overcome the defending Stanley Cup champions on Tuesday in St. Louis.Two nights later, they faced a 2-0 deficit against a team square in the mix of a playoff race in the Western Conference.
"It's easy to say, 'Oh, man. Here we go again. Bad breaks, this and that,'" head coach Rod Brind'Amour said. "The guys didn't. They hunkered down." Digging in - and doing so with a dangerous offensive trio - was the difference for the Canes, who countered the Coyotes' early assault with four straight goals.
"We've got to keep grinding," Aho said. "We have to do it right, and we did it right tonight."
For the fourth straight game, the Canes surrendered the first goal of the game, but it wasn't an early goal, and it wasn't as if the Canes had a slow, lackluster start.
No, it was a fluky bounce, unintentional friendly fire, as the Coyotes grabbed a 1-0 lead with a little more than four minutes left in the first period. Alex Goligoski's shot took a bounce off Aho's stick blade, split Derek Stepan's wickets to beat Reimer.
"I didn't love our first. It wasn't bad," Brind'Amour said. "We had a couple bad bounces there, and then we get down two." Four minutes into the second period, the Coyotes doubled their lead when Dvorak cleaned up a rebound on the power play.
In search of some offense, Brind'Amour, with a suggestion from assistant coach Jeff Daniels, tweaked the forward lines and loaded up with the trio of Aho, Svechnikov and Teuvo Teravainen.
The result? The line combined to score three of the team's four goals, the first coming just 60 seconds after the Coyotes stretched their lead on the power play.
That helped stifle momentum, and from there, the Canes' three most offensive talents went to work.
"From the first shift, we got good momentum and a couple chances. I think it was the second shift that Svech scored," Aho said. "That gives you a little boost in confidence, and we kept building."
"I think that was the difference in the game. That line was pretty dynamic," Brind'Amour said. "They got us back in the game."
Recap: Canes Score Four Straight Goals to Rally Past Coyotes

Reactions: DaveG and Tryamw

Highest Boss

Jan 15, 2014
Illinois
So basically, what you're telling me is that if you play your best 3 guys all on the 1st line they score lots of goals, as opposed to when you wrap one around a Staal sized boat anchor?

giphy.gif

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
Imagine thinking alternating goalies is still a good idea.
Ride the hot hand. It’s pretty simple. There is zero chance that Mrazek won’t have good games, and there’s also zero chance that the board won’t be collectively bitching about Reimer in the next month. They are who they are. And, it’s *good enough* to be really really competitive.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Ride the hot hand. It’s pretty simple. There is zero chance that Mrazek won’t have good games, and there’s also zero chance that the board won’t be collectively *****ing about Reimer in the next month. They are who they are. And, it’s *good enough* to be really really competitive.

The following posts are about Reimer from the Philly game, exactly one month ago:

Tied

This is on Reimer

Is he even wearing a glove

Reimer hasn't saved ****. I mean nothing really. Terrible break down by everyone there though.

Make. A. ****ing. Save!

Pull Reimer... play 4 on 3

Regardless what happens with this, I put some blame on Rod. His hesitance to pull a goalie hurt. Petr may have **** the bed as well but we should have done something.

Reimer gave me ptsd flashbacks of Darling. Every save was a battle... I'm all for shooting him into the moon. Let's see one of our CLT tenders for a few games. They can't be any worse than our current duo.

Svech was also benched that game in favor of McGinn after taking two penalties in the third.

It's the NHL. Stuff happens.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad