Friedman: Canes to buyout Kotkaniemi?

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
On a recent episode of 32 thoughts Friedman said that the Canes could buyout K2.

On one that's brutal that's a 12 year buyout.

On the other he's under 26 so It's a 1/3 buyout.

835K for 12 years
It's not thst.

Its one amt for the last 6 contract years, a diff amt for non contract years

Thanks for posting his birthday, I think July 1 is cutoff. So looks like 2025 then for 1/3.
with the early july birthday. The buy out in june needs to be done before july 1 2026

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Seems silly to do now. He’s only 23 and lots of money coming off the books.
Every year you take him takes 2 off the length of the buyout.

If you did it in 2 years it’s much less term.

gritdash60

Aug 9, 2022
Behind the net
They probably will since its very cheap in terms of caphit for them. How do the buyouts work for the players? How much money do they get if any? Or all of it? Sorry i've never looked in to the buyout things too much.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Retention is a deadstop dealbreaker because if you subsequently buy him out, we tie up a retention slot for the term of the buyout.

It has to be at full value if we trade him.
Okay, we’re looking for prospect volume so some late picks added would be fine.

We don’t really have any contracts where I’d say “take this” to offset. Smith is only signed for a year and probably has a little value still.. you guys wouldn’t want Rakell, Graves or Jarry. I’d like to dump Acciari but the coach and GM wouldn’t.

OrangePMD

Feb 2, 2021
Finland
They probably will since its very cheap in terms of caphit for them. How do the buyouts work for the players? How much money do they get if any? Or all of it? Sorry i've never looked in to the buyout things too much.
Player get 1/3 or 2/3 of their remaining base salary, depending on their age, and 100% of any signing bonuses. The total buyout salary is divided by the remaining contract years times 2, and paid out same as all NHL salary, biweekly during the season. Signing bonuses are paid as agreed in the original contract.

TLDR; Players get some of the money or most of the money, but they'll usually have to wait twice as long to get it all.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Per annum, it's not a crippling amount, especially for a team off the top of my head that doesn't have dead cap to begin with.

Considering, their window is now, I'd probably take the cap savings from the buyout, and use it to further push this team forward. I don't think they should be waiting for KK to potentually turn things on, and judging by the kinds of moves they seem to be making of late, I don't think the canes will be waiting either.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
I was going to suggest our trash for your trash.. Jack Campbell for him straight up but then I saw he's signed for 2 more years.

He's a good player, an NHL but I'd buy him out unfortunately.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I think this is dumb because he does have a team friendly deal. But I guess they're eager to extend Jarvis and Guentzel.

But... from my inside source KK has a very bad attitude problem. But his contract is indeed tradable, just don't know who'd take it. But my guess is he end up in either Vancouver, Calgary, Columbus or Edmonton.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Would Carolina do something like Kotkaniemi and a 1st to the Sharks for Burroughs and a 3rd or something like that? Swap of players and swap of picks?

• Haha
Reactions: WreckingCrew

theVladiator

May 26, 2018
Yeah, if there isn't a team willing to take a chance on him that needs a center, it's the obvious choice. The 1/3 buyout is good for another season, so a team could risk getting him for future considerations, play him a year and buy him out at the end of next season for 10y at 835k. Just a thought.

So, pay 13M for a year of Kotkaniemi? Not a very attractive option IMO.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
So here's the thing

6 years left at 4.82
He's overpaid this season by 2m

So you overpay a player by 2.0 m for 6 years vs having 800k on the books for 12.

The only reason you buy him out is if he doesn't fit on your roster.

Another reason could be they need the cap space right now for a more important player/position (ie..keeping one of Skjei/Pesce for instance) so buying him out now frees up $4M immediately. I guess that still kinda falls into the "doesn't fit on the roster" bucket though.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
On a recent episode of 32 thoughts Friedman said that the Canes could buyout K2.

On one that's brutal that's a 12 year buyout.

On the other he's under 26 so It's a 1/3 buyout.

835K for 12 years
Just curious. Did he say he heard the Canes were considering this? Or was this just him speculating because of all the UFAs/RFAs the Canes have?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad