Confirmed with Link: Canes sign D Josh Jacobs 1 year - 2 way

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Canes Agree to Terms With Josh Jacobs

RALEIGH, NC - Don Waddell, President and General Manager of the National Hockey League's Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that the team has signed defenseman Josh Jacobs to a one-year, two-way contract. The deal will pay Jacobs $750,000 at the NHL level and $75,000 at the American Hockey League (AHL) level with a $100,000 guarantee.
"Josh is a steady, reliable defenseman," said Waddell. "This signing helps improve our organizational depth on defense."
Jacobs, 25, tallied three assists in 19 AHL games with the Binghamton Devils in 2020-21. The 6'2", 211-pound defenseman has registered 56 points (9g, 47a) in 247 career AHL games with Albany and Binghamton. Jacobs made his NHL debut with New Jersey in 2019, and he has skated in three career NHL games. Prior to turning professional, Jacobs recorded 24 points (4g, 20a) in 67 games with the Sarnia Sting of the Ontario Hockey League in 2015-16 while serving as an alternate captain. The Shelby Township, Mich., native also spent one year at Michigan State, where he posted nine assists in 35 games during the 2014-15 season. Jacobs also earned 38 points (7g, 31a) in 104 USHL games with the Indiana Ice from 2012-14. He was selected to the USHL All-Star Game in 2013-14 and posted five points (3g, 2a) in 12 playoff games as the Ice captured the 2014 Clark Cup. Jacobs was selected in the second round, 41st overall, of the 2014 NHL Draft by New Jersey.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
From prohockeyrumors

Jacobs, 25, was a Group 6 unrestricted free agent this off-season after five plus seasons with New Jersey that resulted in just three NHL opportunities. A 2014 second-round pick, Jacobs always seemed to be on the fringe of an NHL role with the Devils, especially after a 2019-20 season in which he recorded five goals, ten points, and a team-leading +16 rating in 54 games with the AHL’s Binghamton Devils and saw two games with New Jersey. Alas, he did not make one NHL appearance this season and decided to try his hand elsewhere.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
7E340E26-8CF0-4D3A-8300-05931D0A51DE.jpeg

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I wonder if Carolina's AHL affiliate is currently becoming a popular spot for fringe defensemen to spend a year learning from a team that is increasingly famous for their defensive development and then use that experience to go somewhere else to get NHL opportunities. I wonder if Jacobs' agent and Chatfield's agent saw Gustav Forsling and sees a potential strategy there for both of them.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I wonder if Carolina's AHL affiliate is currently becoming a popular spot for fringe defensemen to spend a year learning from a team that is increasingly famous for their defensive development and then use that experience to go somewhere else to get NHL opportunities. I wonder if Jacobs' agent saw Gustav Forsling and sees a potential strategy there for him.

They could be popular because the team is in Chicago. A lot worse AHL locations than the Windy City.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
They could be popular because the team is in Chicago. A lot worse AHL locations than the Windy City.

Especially because the Wolves are rich (by AHL standards) and always have a winning club. The Canes being really good at defensive development would be like icing on the cake. I say it with Chatfield in particular, though, because he's legitimately kind of a AAAA guy ATM.

Reactions: Bridgeburner96

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
I like to think part of DW's job is thinking up polite cliches to say when describing guys who will only see NHL ice time if the season has gone horribly, horribly wrong.

To be fair to Donny, he had to do it a lot more in Atlanta than in Raleigh. We've just been spoiled (at least as far as the on-ice product has been concerned) in his three years here so far.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I wonder if Carolina's AHL affiliate is currently becoming a popular spot for fringe defensemen to spend a year learning from a team that is increasingly famous for their defensive development and then use that experience to go somewhere else to get NHL opportunities. I wonder if Jacobs' agent and Chatfield's agent saw Gustav Forsling and sees a potential strategy there for both of them.
... or they want some defensively deprived teams to think that the only thing keeping him out of NHL is the vaunted Carolina defensive depth that's ahead of him.

"Just get one of the guys from Carolina, they have hogged them all."

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
... or they want some defensively deprived teams to think that the only thing keeping him out of NHL is the vaunted Carolina defensive depth that's ahead of him.

"Just get one of the guys from Carolina, they have hogged them all."

LOL! I mean, someone may make a Lajoie waiver claim just from that thought process. I actually think that he makes the team, though, as the last roster cut, with Gardiner to LTIR.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad