Confirmed with Link: Canes sign D Joakim Ryan - 1yr 700k/150k two-way

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I think this guy is a bit underrated and he could turn out to be good for Carolina. In his first year in San Jose, I thought he was a great partner for Burns who was terrible whenever they were separated. His second year in San Jose, he definitely struggled but he was still a decent player, the numbers game just caught up to him as rookie Radim Simek was great for us. I didn't watch every game he played in LA like I did in SJ, but he looked good to me when I did watch him and the analytics suggest that he was very good as well.

Over a 3-year sample, his RAPM numbers look very strong:

upload_2020-10-12_11-39-1.png

(Although the poor actual GF/60 despite strong xGF/60 is probably something Canes fans are familiar with :P)

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Good depth signing. Vet to sit in Chicago in case injury occurs. Hopefully they find a taker for Gardiner or a beneficial trade involving Fleury/Bean.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
150k in the A seems REALLY cheap for a guy like this to take on the two way part of his deal. Good insurance policy to have available for Chicago in case Bean doesn't seem to be ready.

Or they don't want Bean to sit in a press box as #7. Cheap #7D instead of McKeown, can fill in for a day or 2, and if it's longer you can call up Bean.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
the covid climate is scaring the crap out of everyone in situations where they might be more amenable to sitting on the shelf for a while and waiting for teams to have a clearer picture of their roster. if you'll notice, there are a lot of traditional two way signing candidates that just aren't getting calls right now and that squeeze has that subset of players scrambling to find somewhere to play. it feels like the ahl is going to be more heavy towards developmental prospects as opposed to guys sort of stuck between levels. plus, if we're honest, having our affiliate in chicago as opposed to charlotte is going to be more enticing for some guys who prefer to live in more metro areas. if you have to spend a reputation recovery year in the minors, you could do worse than chicago and you could do worse than being elevated into this defensive structure.

in addition to whatever value he's going to offer us at the nhl level in terms of injury assurances, he's going to be the stick for our ahl prospects. if you can't pipp him down here, don't ask why you're not getting called up. that's an important psychological element to create a competitive balance when you have prospects that are logically due for a look and might not get it. measure yourself against this player who is about as good of a defenseman as you should see down here to evaluate your game as opposed to fellow prospects that you might have edged out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad