Speculation: Canes roster building thread 2016/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
i think staal and the canes have a "if we're both 40 and still havent met anyone" type agreement in place

i think thats why theyre not talking

francis knows staal would be a 2nd/3rd line tweener, which is less than what both are looking for

but if nothing comes for either party, im sure both would settle

i like this analogy that ive constructed

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
i think staal and the canes have a "if we're both 40 and still havent met anyone" type agreement in place

francis knows staal would be a 2nd/3rd line tweener, which is less than what both are looking for

....as long as there are no children involved. Kids can make things get messy.....:sarcasm:

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
wait are we seriously saying okposo is worth more than foresberg money wise. Never scored 30 goals two 60+ point seasons which i think are fairly inflated because of tavares. Anything over 6mil i pass all day on okposo. Nice guy im sure hes a great player but he is due for an overpayment from some team and it doesnt need to be the canes.

Not really comparable as Forsberg has 4 more years of RFA eligibility. If Forsberg was a UFA this year he would be getting much, much more than $6 million a year.

I'm not saying Okposo is worth $7+ million, I think in a vacuum he is probably worth somewhere between $5.5-6.5 million. That said, I don't think he is coming to Carolina for a "fair deal". I think the only chance Carolina has to obtain a high-profile free agent is by overpaying.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB

which one is the 40 year old virgin from north america and which one is the attractive, but destitute woman from belarus?

Last edited:

WhiteTrashAmerican

WHY DID IT END
Nov 14, 2007
Durham, NC
Not really comparable as Forsberg has 4 more years of RFA eligibility. If Forsberg was a UFA this year he would be getting much, much more than $6 million a year.

I'm not saying Okposo is worth $7+ million, I think in a vacuum he is probably worth somewhere between $5.5-6.5 million. That said, I don't think he is coming to Carolina for a "fair deal". I think the only chance Carolina has to obtain a high-profile free agent is by overpaying.

Agreed here. Everybody should probably not get their hopes up. I doubt RF wants to run into a possible 45 point Okposo making 6.5-7 million in 2/3 years when we have our young defensive guys makin' big change at that point. Put me in the "grab a guy from a cap strapped team" club.

May 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC

sorry i didnt realize that. i agree that an overpayment is what it will take to bring him here and i just dont think he is the player to overpay for. I'm honestly not impressed at all with this year's "high profile" ufa class.

May 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
Agreed here. Everybody should probably not get their hopes up. I doubt RF wants to run into a possible 45 point Okposo making 6.5-7 million in 2/3 years when we have our young defensive guys makin' big change at that point. Put me in the "grab a guy from a cap strapped team" club.

This is my point right here about okposo. When tavares is feeding you great passes your gonna finish on a good chunk of them. And okposo's assists are very inflated because vice versa when your feeding passes to tavares hes more than likely gonna score on them. Both of their stats represent that but tavares more than okposo. I think you take away an elite center out of the mix and your not seeimg the same production from okposo. Then were stuck with another overpaid player long term(see Semin,Alex).

Highway29

Don dun well?
Mar 20, 2013
I still know that we're probably not after Stamkos (according to RF's long term plans) but I'd rather overpay him that 8x11-12M than give Okposo 6x5M for example.

Okposo's a fine player but I wouldn't overpay winger for a long term - 3x7M would be fine but he probably would not take it. Of course there's a risk overpaying Stamkos too but he'd be at worst 1C 2-4 years, 2C 2-4 years and then we'd be in trouble for 2-3 years. Overpaying 1C the greater things could be accomplished.

Sometimes it's very hard to put the ideas out in english (even if it's decent english) because it's not my mother language.. So I'll stop here, it makes me tired to explain what I'm trying to say here.. :(

Unsustainable

Bunch of Jerks
Apr 14, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Blue Jackets have told teams they're willing to retain salary in order to dump guys. Desperate to shed money. Hartnell, Tyutin, Boll etc.
10:00 AM - 29 Jun 2016

Hartnell retained maybe?

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Blue Jackets have told teams they're willing to retain salary in order to dump guys. Desperate to shed money. Hartnell, Tyutin, Boll etc.
10:00 AM - 29 Jun 2016

Hartnell retained maybe?

Tyutin is being bought out. They probably put feelers out, didn't find what they were looking for, and just decided to clear space with a buyout.

Moosetache

Jul 25, 2005
Raleigh, NC
Ok, if someone knows how to make a quick poll, please help me.

Okposo at 6 x 7mil

or

Stamkos at 7 x 11mil

Which would you rather do?

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
If neither isn't an option, here's a vote for Stamkos. He's younger, he's a center, and for the difference in production, you'd have to spend another $4M/year in addition to Okposo.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
I still know that we're probably not after Stamkos (according to RF's long term plans) but I'd rather overpay him that 8x11-12M than give Okposo 6x5M for example.

Okposo's a fine player but I wouldn't overpay winger for a long term - 3x7M would be fine but he probably would not take it. Of course there's a risk overpaying Stamkos too but he'd be at worst 1C 2-4 years, 2C 2-4 years and then we'd be in trouble for 2-3 years. Overpaying 1C the greater things could be accomplished.

Sometimes it's very hard to put the ideas out in english (even if it's decent english) because it's not my mother language.. So I'll stop here, it makes me tired to explain what I'm trying to say here.. :(

We get what you're saying. We're all redneck meth addicts with bad English anyway.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
Not untrue!

John Tavares has scored 127 points at 5-on-5 over the last three seasons. He scored 73 of them playing on a line with Okposo. But Okposo actually played more with Frans Nielsen last season than with Tavares, and excelled in that role too – 52.8 Corsi rating when they played together at even strength.

source

Moosetache

Jul 25, 2005
Raleigh, NC
So you are telling me we should sign Nielsen and Okposo instead of Stamkos?

So you're telling me theres a chance!!!.....I read ya....

Cane mutiny

Ahoy_Aho
Sep 5, 2006
I know no one will probably agree with this, but I think Lee Stempniak would be a good choice for a short term filler deal. Say, 2yr at 2.5? Usefull guy, still relatively young, a 31st wing and not too expensive.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I know no one will probably agree with this, but I think Lee Stempniak would be a good choice for a short term filler deal. Say, 2yr at 2.5? Usefull guy, still relatively young, a 31st wing and not too expensive.

I think Stempniak could be a nice option but at 33 going on 100 I wouldn't call him "young". I still think a 2 year deal would be a good option. But I think you'll be paying between $3 and $4 million.

Moosetache

Jul 25, 2005
Raleigh, NC
I think Stempniak could be a nice option but at 33 going on 100 I wouldn't call him "young". I still think a 2 year deal would be a good option. But I think you'll be paying between $3 and $4 million.

yeah, I'm saying 3.25 a year.

and jeez, that guy hasn't played a full season in one place since like 2007. He must live in a U-Haul.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
So a family member spoke with a person fairly high up in the Canes org. today and, I'm paraphrasing here, that source said, "....we've got some more money that we're going to spend". Not sure that means getting a high end free agent, but it does sound like they are planning on adding somebody that cost more than a buck two ninety-eight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->