Confirmed with Link: Canes re-sign Van Riemsdyk (2 years, 2.3 per)

CanesFanBudMan

Borg member
Jun 14, 2016
I don't think it makes him a Dick. If he'd rather play in the NCAA than the AHL I have no problem with that. To me the comments surrounding make it seem that he is saying "If you give me a good shot at playing in the NHL I'll sign a contract, but otherwise I'm going to play another year in the NCAA"

I have seen nothing to indicate that he is saying "if you don't sign me to play in the NHL this year I am going to walk as soon as I can"

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
It's highly unlikely that an extra 500k for TVR for 1-2 years is going to result in cap trouble. It's unnecessary hardball.

My point was that if you keep giving the extra salary, over time it will come back to bite you. More importantly, you set internal precedents which can lead to tougher negotiations and bad feelings across the team.

The absolute last thing I worry about as a Hurricanes fan is getting into cap trouble.

That's what I'm here for...to relieve you of that burden.

I think you can just as easily argue the comparable is Stephen Johns or Mark Pysyk. The former making 2.35M, the later 2.73M. Johns scored 15 points in his only full NHL season and Pysyk has 17 and 16 the past two seasons. TVR's agent (and all agents) needs to get his client a good deal. The team needs to be profitable and worry about the cap.

I think both sides win at 3 years/7M.

Just because other teams overpaid....oh, wait a minute, I'd be arguing against my argument.

Look, I don't think any of those guys are worth those contracts....but Johns and Pysyk were 2nd and 1st round picks respectively. That likely played into their agent's argument. TVR was undrafted.

Like I said, I like TVR and want to re-sign him but only for a year or maybe two and not for more than $2 million.

It’s not so much a “guaranteed spot” as the idea that we would actively cut away any player who looked better than Fox in order to give him an easy path.

I think you just have to present the opportunity....doesn't mean you clear a path, but Fox isn't that dependable TVR type, he's an offensive defenseman who is going to make his bones putting up points more that keeping points off of the board.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
This is all speculation of course.

Put in his shoes and I'm sure the vast majority would be making a decision that is in their best interest, not the interest of an acquiring club. I wouldn't fault him if he leveraged his status for an opportunity to play at the NHL level.

I don't think it makes him a Dick. If he'd rather play in the NCAA than the AHL I have no problem with that. To me the comments surrounding make it seem that he is saying "If you give me a good shot at playing in the NHL I'll sign a contract, but otherwise I'm going to play another year in the NCAA"

I have seen nothing to indicate that he is saying "if you don't sign me to play in the NHL this year I am going to walk as soon as I can"

I was rather emulating a very funny Finnish joke about a guy who bursted a tire on an isolated road in middle of night and didn't have a jack to lift the car. Luckily, not far away he saw the light of a house and started walking there to loan a jack.

"Wait", he stopped, "I can't go there and wake these people up."

"But, of course they'd want to help im a dire situation like this", he though and started walking again towards the house.

"But", stop, "they have to go to work in the morning and need their sleep."

"No but it's cold night, I can't stay here either." Walk.

Stop. "But they may got kids. Going to school in the morning, or some baby they then can't get back to sleep."

"Nonsense", walk, "of course they'd be only happy to help fellow human being."

"Except", stop, "what if they don't? They just tell me to get bent?"

So the guy picks a fist-size rock off the ground and hurls it at the window of the house, and yells:

"YOU CAN ****ING KEEP YOUR JACK!"

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
This is all speculation of course.

Put in his shoes and I'm sure the vast majority would be making a decision that is in their best interest, not the interest of an acquiring club. I wouldn't fault him if he leveraged his status for an opportunity to play at the NHL level.

Actually I'm kind of adamant about that signing of the SPC thing that a player is absolutely within his rights to not sign one, no matter how some people may feel about THEIR property going college UFA or re-entering the draft and thusly robbing them of asset.

Once you sign it, you're an utter total female dog not only to the team but also to the whole of the NHL. It is 100 % in everyone's rights to not sign himself up for that if the deal and everything attached to it is not to his liking.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
It's not a bad thing to skim the SPC through just out of spite if one isn't aftraid of ruining mystery and wonder in the process. It can be found as the Exhibit 1 in the CBA.

There's surprisingly little a player can actually hope to individually negotiate about. Salary (and AHL salary), some clauses and bonuses at certain points of career. Other than that, it's almost more a general terms of agreement between the player and the NHL corporation than a contract between the player and the team.

Even with the negotiable bits it soon becomes pretty obvious that when a player signs the highly movable SPC, those are the terms he signs up to play in any NHL team (or their AHL affiliate). So no one signs an SPC with only Canes and Checkers specifically in mind but has to be prepared to play on those terms everywhere around the league structure, and the terms (like for example "European Assignment" clause allowing the player to seek employment overseas if Loaned to AHL) aren't to be taken as a statement per se about a particular team.

(presented as a Show-off-y Poignant Comment)

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
TVR to arbitration:

Anyone know if he’s eligible for a 1 or 2 year deal through arbiters decision?

As it's player-initiated, the team gets to choose the term. BUT, as he is less than year away from UFA now, in this case the CBA doesn't grant the club ththe two years option.

So, one year.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
As it's player-initiated, the team gets to choose the term. BUT, as he is less than year away from UFA now, in this case the CBA doesn't grant the club ththe two years option.

So, one year.

Nice, 1 year term is best-case scenario I’d say. The team can now realistically show Fox he potentially has a spot to earn on the big club after the college season is over, and a 1yr deal doesn’t block Mckeown or Fora too if either of them have good years in Charlotte. Or...we could just give TVR more term, not the worst position to be in.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Hopefully Waddell has a plan to lure Fox. Because as of now, he is blocked for 2 years.
I am admittedly not a huge TVR fan, so I wouldn't mind seeing him dealt by this time next year.

If they really need a spot for Fox, they could easily trade TVR and get something back next year vs going with a 1 year arbitration ruling and lose him for nothing.

Good signing IMO. Gives a reliable #5 and gives flexibility going forward.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
When I heard they were trying to get a long-term deal done, I got a little nervous, but again, this group keeps making logical moves. Two years, $4.6 million is very fair for what he does, and preserves his value in case we need to deal him. Another good job by Dundon and company.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
The contract is fine; there isn't anything to complain about in isolation.

I just really don't like the stylistic mix that will result from it, assuming Faulk is the one that goes. Hamilton and 5 defensively oriented defenders is a step backwards for what was a near Bottom 5 offensive club last season. I may be alone on that, however.

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
The contract is fine; there isn't anything to complain about in isolation.

I just really don't like the stylistic mix that will result from it, assuming Faulk is the one that goes. Hamilton and 5 defensively oriented defenders is a step backwards for what was a near Bottom 5 offensive club last season. I may be alone on that, however.
define "defensively oriented"

this isn't five harrisons/bellemores/timglesons who can't do anything with the puck except bank it off the glass or throw it around the boards. the entire d can move the puck. slavin had 30 points last year without getting much PP time.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
define "defensively oriented"

this isn't five harrisons/bellemores/timglesons who can't do anything with the puck except bank it off the glass or throw it around the boards. the entire d can move the puck. slavin had 30 points last year without getting much PP time.

I think they’ll be fine in transition and on the rush, but the offensive zone is going to be an issue. If Brind’Amour’s system has a conservative, counterattacking posture, they may get away with it. If it’s Peters-like possession dominance, the defensemen will have to make plays to score enough.

Perhaps calling Slavin defensively oriented undersells his production, but he does not impress in that area of the ice visually. I’ve seen flashes of the in-zone playmaking ability, but his shot is weak; I don’t see the PP time resulting in a huge production increase. He also doesn’t bring in consistently; this was the 2nd season in a row in which he was a ghost from October - February.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad