Confirmed with Link: Canes re-sign Van Riemsdyk (2 years, 2.3 per)

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Something’s off. If the team hasn’t yet found a deal they’re “comfortable” with for Faulk and it looks like a real possibility that Faulk will be on the opening night roster, why the hell spend what will likely be at least $2M to sign TVR? With so many teams potentially needing capable, NHL quality RD, why not just trade TVR for a pick and use the $2M on Enstrom or some other LD plug?

Putting Pesce on his offside seems stupid. I can’t recall in my almost 20yrs of watching hockey a D pair with 2 right shots. I don’t mind Faulk coming back next year, but if he does, he needs to be on his natural side and on the 3rd pair/2nd PP unit. Paying a guy close to $5M for that slot though is probably not the best use of team payroll reaources.

With Waddell saying the other day that he talked to at least 12 GMs in one day, I hope he’s able to find a taker for Faulk. Hopefully some other teams will look to Faulk as the best RD option available at the moment, and we can balance out the D pairings with his replacement in the next week or so.

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Something’s off. If the team hasn’t yet found a deal they’re “comfortable” with for Faulk and it looks like a real possibility that Faulk will be on the opening night roster, why the hell spend what will likely be at least $2M to sign TVR? With so many teams potentially needing capable, NHL quality RD, why not just trade TVR for a pick and use the $2M on Enstrom or some other LD plug?

Putting Pesce on his offside seems stupid. I can’t recall in my almost 20yrs of watching hockey a D pair with 2 right shots. I don’t mind Faulk coming back next year, but if he does, he needs to be on his natural side and on the 3rd pair/2nd PP unit. Paying a guy close to $5M for that slot though is probably not the best use of team payroll reaources.

With Waddell saying the other day that he talked to at least 12 GMs in one day, I hope he’s able to find a taker for Faulk. Hopefully some other teams will look to Faulk as the best RD option available at the moment, and we can balance out the D pairings with his replacement in the next week or so.

It's poker, he's trying to gain some leverage by saying we're okay going into our opening night with our d group. Same thing with Skinner, but you know in reality they want to find trades for both asap.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Wasn't one of the talking points this time last year that van Riemsdyk played with Pesce on the same defensive pair at times in college? One of them has at least some experience on the off-side.

If Carolina asking for Saad in exchange for Faulk caused someone to go to the media and complain about Waddell and co. overrating assets, perhaps it's just a buy low market for him at this point. The team isn't deep enough to give him away and there isn't anything exciting out there in the free agent market that Faulk is preventing the team from pursuing. Resist the lowball.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site

you're underrating the value of a replacement level top 4 defense, which is what TVR can claim himself to be playing 17-20 minutes a night the way he has been the past 3 seasons. he had a really strange role last year trying to break in a struggling at times hanifin and an even greener fleury and provide stability to that unit. he came through in that respect immensely. the idea of trading TVR for a pick put chicago is a really weird spot last season as they struggled all year to find that quiet twenty minutes from guys who weren't up to the challenge. he's just a really sharp all around player with no discernible weakness or strength. he had 4.2 point shares last season which was more than justin faulk (4.0) and brett pesce (2.9). 2nd on the team with 113 blocked shots. he only gave the puck away 19 times last season to 45 takeaways. hanifin and fleury combined for 92 giveaways. he's incredibly subtle but effective. tobias enstrom, for example, has 1.3 point shares in 60 games last season and 1.8 in 43 games last year. he's also 34 and trending down so it could be argued he's not even replacement level at 17 minutes a night that he played last year on a powerhouse team that should have inflated his point totals, yet he had a -0.2 contribution in point shares offensively.

it's absolutely essential that we not treat TVR like just another dude considering how efficiently he played last year in some really tough circumstances with a 21 year old kid who likely shouldn't have been in the nhl last season in fleury and an enigmatic hanifin. you're not going to be a happy camper when you see how this deal looks if this is how you feel about him. he could reasonably ask for $2.75 in my opinion if his agent knows how to use the internet based on the contracts given out today to guys like ian cole, brandon manning, john moore and whatever that disaster was to jack johnson. he's not far out of that class.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Wasn't one of the talking points this time last year that van Riemsdyk played with Pesce on the same defensive pair at times in college?

Think they were roommates, not line mates.

Re: TVR - frankly, I like TVR, want him signed, and would pay a little extra for him....just not a whole lot extra. Sorry Vagrant, he's not worth $2.75 million especially since he could be reasonably replaced internally (remember, while he didn't get a whole lot of time, McKeown was very serviceable during his call up). This is a guy you pay $1.5 million to $1.75 million. If he won't take it, and you still like it, you go ahead and get to arbitration. He certainly wouldn't be given an award much beyond $1.75 million. He does't have the stats/history to indicate higher value.

Like I said, I really like the guy, but he's a dime a dozen type of player....solid, but nothing special. I'd rather save that extra million for Aho/Turbo/Ferland/McGinn and their upcoming contracts.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
$2.5m doesn't seem too much for TVR based on his play last season, IMO. What if Pesce gets hurt? Here's a guy who can slide into that spot painlessly and won't get you killed.

I'm betting there's not too many teams that made decent playoff runs over the last decade that didn't have at least one premium third-pair d-man.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
$2.5m doesn't seem too much for TVR based on his play last season, IMO. What if Pesce gets hurt? Here's a guy who can slide into that spot painlessly and won't get you killed.

I'm betting there's not too many teams that made decent playoff runs over the last decade that didn't have at least one premium third-pair d-man.
Actually, it's about $500,000 too much. He's a 3rd pairing guy who can play up in a pinch. He has never put up more than 16 points. A good comparable is Matthew Benning for the Oilers. He's paid $1.9 million and that's after seasons of 15 and 21 points.

As I said, I like him, but I have no problem with the front office paying him based on his actual worth instead of some misplaced fear of losing him.

Reactions: Unsustainable

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
The fact that this is a difficult signing is perplexing. We have three RHD ahead of him, hold his RFA rights, have a good 3rd pair right hand defensive prospect in the AHL waiting for an opportunity, and two more in the NCAA. What kind of leverage does his camp think he has?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->