GDT: CANES @ PREDS

vorbis

bunch of likes
Feb 9, 2013
YTZ
Any chance Svechnikov hasn't already made the team as far as the coaching staff is concerned? I doubt it, but I assume nothing.
RBA was asked this either yesterday or the day before, and he said the boilerplate "evaluate it after all the preseason games" thing but then mentioned that maybe the decision was already made, the implication being that the decision was made by the front office. so, take that for what you will.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
RBA was asked this either yesterday or the day before, and he said the boilerplate "evaluate it after all the preseason games" thing but then mentioned that maybe the decision was already made, the implication being that the decision was made by the front office. so, take that for what you will.

I fully expect he has, and he probably knows that. Necas as well. Rask butter knifing an avocado sealed his fate, and he's looked pretty solid to boot.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Svechnikov's picture is the first one that comes up when you go on the Canes website. They've been talking him up to the fan base like never before. I think there's 0% chance he's not on the opening night roster, barring injury/illness.

Rod has to say the right things, but I think the decision is already made. Rask injuring himself, as you said, probably cemented it for Necas, even though he was very likely to as well.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Svechnikov's picture is the first one that comes up when you go on the Canes website. They've been talking him up to the fan base like never before. I think there's 0% chance he's not on the opening night roster, barring injury/illness.

Rod has to say the right things, but I think the decision is already made. Rask injuring himself, as you said, probably cemented it for Necas, even though he was very likely to as well.

Agreed. They can't send him to Charlotte, so if he doesn't make the squad out of camp it's back to the OHL for the full year, right? No way he isn't on the team. He gets 9 games at a minimum and is as close to a 100% lock for a full year as it gets.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
Svech, Necas, Zykov are Hurricanes. No doubt in my mind. Maybe maybe maybe Necas gets sent down at some point but he's definitely skating opening night. I think the only real spots open at this point are wings for Martinook and extra forward, and will be two of Foegele, PDG and Wallmark (who may play center and push Martinook to wing). I've been wrong a million times though and likely will be again

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I’m confident that Foegele has made the team at this point as well. No way Rod doesn’t love the way that kid is playing.

Foegle, Zykov and Wallmark make the team

I think Foegle has certainly played well enough, but he is waiver exempt and they may love him so much that they want to push him to a top-six role in Charlotte for development vs. making him play bottom six minutes in Raleigh. I think if Foegle makes the team, one or both of McGinn and PDG are sitting in the press box, something I doubt they do if a guy is not significantly better and waiver eligible. I don't like that the contract has an effect in these decisions, but I doubt that it doesn't.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Svech: makes team
Necas: makes team
Zykov: makes team
Foegele: Probably will earn it if he continues as he has, but may not make it due to numbers and waive exemption.
Wallmark: All depends on Aho's performance at C IMO.

5 rookies making the team would be a bit surprising.

This one is underrated with regard to how much of a slam dunk this is. It's always "wow the new guy Svech" and "boy does Necas look dynamic." Meanwhile Zykov is getting treated like a boring lock like a McGinn.

Three months ago that wasn't nearly the lock it is today. Good for him for his showing thus far.

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
This one is underrated with regard to how much of a slam dunk this is. It's always "wow the new guy Svech" and "boy does Necas look dynamic." Meanwhile Zykov is getting treated like a boring lock like a McGinn.

Three months ago that wasn't nearly the lock it is today. Good for him for his showing thus far.

Absolutely! I love Z’s game and hope to see the TAZ line reunited.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Absolutely! I love Z’s game and hope to see the TAZ line reunited.
latest

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Foegele has played like he's one of our best 12 forwards. I doubt he'll ever be more than a middle 6 type winger and I don't think Wallmark is so good that we need to worry about losing him to waivers, so getting Foegele top 6 AHL minutes and him not being waiver eligible aren't really valid reasons as to why he should be sent down IMO, unless we're punting on the season already and don't feel like we need to put all of our best options out on the ice. I also think he is already a valuable PKer and he plays the type of game we need in the bottom 6.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Foegele has played like he's one of our best 12 forwards. I doubt he'll ever be more than a middle 6 type winger and I don't think Wallmark is so good that we need to worry about losing him to waivers, so getting Foegele top 6 AHL minutes and him not being waiver eligible aren't really valid reasons as to why he should be sent down IMO, unless we're punting on the season already and don't feel like we need to put all of our best options out on the ice. I also think he is already a valuable PKer and he plays the type of game we need in the bottom 6.

I think it's more to do with what geehaad said in the other thread. Wallmark is a C and the team is precariously thin at that position. IMO, if Wallmark makes it over Foegele, it isn't because he's been better, it's because he plays a position of greater need, which is a valid reason to keep a guy around.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad